Help me with major temp issues in a custom loop :(

Associate
i thought gpu blocks didnt have an orientation. atleast the ones i have had havent. an EKWB GTX 970 1 and an EKWB RX 480. neither had any instructions that even mentioned what direction if should flow.

All EKWB blocks, CPU and GPU have an orientation. For GPU blocks the port closest to the back plate is usually the Inlet. Although, according to EK themselves the GPU temperature difference is only about 1-2C if you invert it (friend had it "backwards" and contacted them). If you look at the GPU block you should see a plate over the fins. When you use the proper inlet this creates more pressure over the fins since it restricts the opening over them. If you invert it then the water is flowing over the fins and then restricts on the way out. Not as effective but not a big deal either.

Associate
looking at pictures of the rx 480 block. i can see it and yes it does seem like that would be more efficient but there is not mention of it in the manual i am 90% sure of that. and yes i have mine the wrong way around aswell lol.

Associate
looking at pictures of the rx 480 block. i can see it and yes it does seem like that would be more efficient but there is not mention of it in the manual i am 90% sure of that. and yes i have mine the wrong way around aswell lol.

You're right about the manual not mentioning it, which I do find odd. Quote from one the 1080 blocks: "You can use any opening as an inlet/outlet port". Go figure.

Soldato

Me too - did not know you had a flow direction for GPU. Doh. Will change it when I do next maintenance/fluid change. Lol.

Associate
it doesnt seem very intuitive having the gpu block that way around though. my loop flows (visually) perfectly from one component to the next no overlapping or crossing tubing and to use the gpu block in the "correct" orientation would force some crossing/overlapping somewhere. not a big issue but on a build as untidy as mine and tight its going to be difficult and messy :( the only way to get around the crossing/overlapping is using a top and a bottom connection rather than 2 tops.

Soldato
i thought gpu blocks didnt have an orientation...neither had any instructions that even mentioned what direction if should flow.

All EKWB blocks, CPU and GPU have an orientation...

You're right about the manual not mentioning it, which I do find odd. Quote from one the 1080 blocks: "You can use any opening as an inlet/outlet port". Go figure.

EK's GPU blocks didn't have an orientation until the 1080 Ti blocks I believe. Ever since they started using that extra plastic shroud thing around the terminal block the cards now have a preferred orientation. Which is why it won't be mentioned in the 1080 ;)

Soldato
EK's GPU blocks didn't have an orientation until the 1080 Ti blocks I believe. Ever since they started using that extra plastic shroud thing around the terminal block the cards now have a preferred orientation. Which is why it won't be mentioned in the 1080 ;)
Strange thing is that the fins and flow plate thing is unchanged between the new EK GTX FE blocks and the 'old' GTX 1080/70 block.

Old Style

New Style

Soldato
Strange thing is that the fins and flow plate thing is unchanged between the new EK GTX FE blocks and the 'old' GTX 1080/70 block.

True, and it looks like the inclusion of the plastic shroud is a common thing with the cards. So much for my metric for what's old and new :p

The only thing I can think of is EK have recently determined/realised that flow and performance is better for 2 channels of coolant to hit the outer fins and then combine pushing up through the central fins and out, rather than hitting the central fins, flowing downwards and splitting into 2, and as a result now advise a proper orientation.

Associate
The outlet of my CPU block usually lines up near vertically with the "inlet" (port closer to rear of the case) of the GPU and with a 45 angle on the connectors is a clean and straight tubing path.

Associate
Hi, it's the airflow as mentioned. I have the same case and have done some mods to it to fix the issue. Have a look at the build thread in my sig for info :)

Back
Top Bottom