Virtual Reality Experiment Framework - VR Research

Associate
Hello,

As part of my PhD Thesis I am conducting research into how developer choice of locomotion (movement method) effects user experience in virtual reality games. I am looking for volunteers to participate in my experiment which lasts approximately 15-25 minutes and can be completed independently at any time that suits your schedule. This experiment requires the use of an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift (Windows Mixed Reality HMD’s may work; however, they have not been tested).

By participating in this research, you will be aiding academic research which is hoped will lead to conclusive results that influences future designs of VR games and applications. The team that can find and collect the largest number of stars in the shortest time will be considered the winner of the competition. In-game data will be analysed to determine other factors of the experiment which may be anonymously presented in academic conference papers and journals. Your individual results will be kept private and not be linked or associated with you or your steam account and will only be accessed by verified academic staff.

How To Participate?:
If you would like to participate in this research, you can download and install the game for free on Steam from here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/847650/Virtual_Reality_Experiment_Framework/

Once you have accepted the terms and conditions, the application should begin downloading. If you have any issues downloading or playing the game, please contact me and I will do my best to assist you.

The Movement Methods:
In this experiment, you will be allocated into one of three teams. Team-A features joystick movement, Team-B uses common teleportation, and Team-C uses a novel reference teleportation system which grants a preview of the teleportation location, allowing orientation prior to initiating the teleportation.

Task:
When you launch the application, you will be required to read and confirm your consent to participate in the experiment and for your data to be used in academic research. Once you have accepted the terms and conditions, a short questionnaire will be presented to you. These short multi-choice questions assess your eligibility for the experiment. Once finished, the experiment tutorial will be loaded.

In the tutorial you will be taught how to use your team’s movement method, and then will procced to the city exploration. In the city, you have a limited amount of time to collect as many stars as possible while exploring the virtual city. Afterwards, an undisclosed task will be given to you depending on your performance during the exploration stage. This final task will lead you to the completion of the city exploration, at which point you will be teleported to the projection centre to fill in another quick multi-choice questionnaire.

After you have completed the second short-questionnaire, you will be asked to complete a drawing task. A marker and eraser will be located behind you at the at the whiteboard (the opposite wall from where you completed the questionnaire). You can move during this part of the experiment using the joystick (Oculus Touch) or TouchPad (Vive), and the drawing equipment can be picked up using the grip buttons on the motion controllers. Before completing this experiment, please ensure you have drawn as many of the bullet points from the questionnaire screen as possible.

After you have completed the drawing task and finished the questionnaire you will have completed the experiment and provided invaluable data for my PhD Thesis and (hopefully!) the future of VR research!

Thank You!
If you have any questions, concerns, or problems, please feel free to contact me anytime and I will do my best to help you resolve the issue. ([email protected])

Thank you for your time,
Best Regards,
Scott.

Back
Top Bottom