Road Cycling

Soldato
Seems tubeless has its haters hah, I figured since I have the wheelset why not try it for myself.

First hand experience and all that...

I’ve been really happy with mine. On crap Cheshire roads I’ve been running them at 60psi and they’ve made a huge difference to ride comfort, especially given my frame is quite unforgiving.

I’ve had a couple of small punctures that sealed fine and saved me stopping, and the one that didn’t was only because the Lifeline sealant is crap rather than a fault of the system. I’m a convert, you should see ride comfort as the primary gain rather than puncture protection. They’re like 100x more practical tubulars.

Soldato
Looking at getting a new commute bike.

I think its probably between a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5, or a Genesis Croix-de-fer 30

Will sort out some test rides, but just wondering if anyone has either and what their thoughts are...

uv

uv

Soldato
I don't have a CDF but I've got a Genesis Equilibrium and it's a lovely frameset imo.

Have you thought about building your own? I paid less than those bikes for a Genesis frameset with Di2 hydraulic and deep section carbon so if you don't mind DIY it's definitely great value (maybe slightly less so since brexit).

Soldato
If you want rid of the Fizik Arione I'd be happy to take it off your hands at OcUK mate's rates.;)

I'm still riding on a Fizik Antares that's snapped in the middle from when a car knocked me off.:o

Ok I've got my saddle sorted now - send me an email through trust. The arione is a R7 mang rails if that's what you're after.

Soldato
I don't have a CDF but I've got a Genesis Equilibrium and it's a lovely frameset imo.

Have you thought about building your own? I paid less than those bikes for a Genesis frameset with Di2 hydraulic and deep section carbon so if you don't mind DIY it's definitely great value (maybe slightly less so since brexit).

I haven't thought about building myself, but tbh I'm after low hassle. I'll almost certainly buy from a local shop and get them to service it.

Foolish that may be, but with two little ones I simple don't have the time.

Soldato
Really enjoying the riding at the minute and noticing some good power and fitness gains, which is really making a difference. Weight seems to have plateaued, but everything else is improving, so it's all good!

Soldato
Don’t you just love tracking down clicks and creaks. Had a click when pedalling under load only. Already swapped wheels, skewers, cleaned up the chain, tried it by hand on the work stand and it was fine.

Thought maybe BB or chainring bolts, however noticed the left pedal has a rattle that appears to be from the clip in rear body section (when spinning them over individually by hand, left hand pedal as I turn the right one in the stand so can adjust the RD) the bearings appear to be smooth.

Fortunately I have a spare good set from my other bike I can borrow and test with! Fingers crossed it fixes it as untraceable noise is the worst!

Edit: mine are exactly the same as this and they are the R540s. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1106431-spd-sl-pedals-rattling-noise.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Are 11spd SRAM and Shimano chains interchaingeable?<snip>Far more comfortable when full aero as opposed to up on the goods.
Fully interchangeable. Everything of mine is Shimano but I constantly run SRAM PC1130 chains as I get 30% extra life out of them for 80% the cost of Shimano. Win:win.

'up on the goods'. Love it :D

Aero bikes with 50mm of spacers and the shifters point skywards always make me chuckle.
Yup and those with their Dogma F10 XLITE's and beer bellies.

Thanks for the help. Could I get more guidance/suggestions?

My bike is a Planet X London Road - a £1k aluminium framed commuter bike with Sram Rival and hydraulic discs (I can sense the roady sick rising in the back of your mouths!) with £100 cx wheels. It's got clearance for wide tyres and isn't very aero.
<snip>

In the meantime, I'd like as much help up hills as possible (on a budget of £300-400)
Roady sick, not roadie sick? :D

I'm on your level bud - running a gravel bike as a road bike! No shame in it, I let my legs do the talking and there's not many guys I ride with who can keep with me on the hills. An aero frame won't make much difference to you, aero and lighter wheels may. Although at your price point the only way to go carbon would be cheaper chinese import lottery (and on the cheaper end of carbon weight isn't really light). You might be better at looking around 'premium' alu wheelsets, Campag Zonda's/Hunt aero light etc. Although the won't be a huge amount lighter than what you're running, they'll be stiffer and 'feel' lighter/faster. Encouraging you to ride harder/faster, which is what you're after! If you also look for slightly wider internal rims (your PX ones are probably 17mm) you can also benefit from running wider tyres, with no speed loss. :)

It has a crack in the shell near the middle. It might actually be acting as a sort of suspension when it flexes, improving comfort.:D

0LDlA08l.jpg
Almost exactly the same place my Arione is cracked right through! Not really rideable as think it would flex too much to judge fit...

Thanks @Shamrock and @#Chri5# Forgot to mention, I have a masisve preference for silent freewheels. My current wheels are pretty loud - I hate people hearing when I'm easing off!
Then don't! Or do like I do... Very clicky freehub (Zipp) and ease as I overtake people... :D ;)

I'm like a ******* human air brake. Bike aero as anything... Ross not so much. :D
Same! Although gives me a good excuse for not owning an aero bike... ;)

Friend is looking for some tubeless road wheels to go on his pinnacle arkose. Schwalbe g one and vittoria corsa g+ I believe are the usual recommended just think he may baulk at the price. Just wondering if there are other options. Probably looking 30mm or so.
30mm there are not many options. 28mm there are a few, 32mm there are far more!

tubeless seems pretty pointless on the road. for MTB and CX it allows running much lower pressures without pinching, but on the road that's not a benefit, you're always going to want pressures that are well above the pinch-risk point
Tubeless may seem pointless, as around the 25mm (and slightly at 28mm) the pressures you need to run for comfort there is a very fine line to pinch puncture territory. That's around 60psi for me and I tend to run my rear 28mm gp2ksii higher than I'd like (75psi) just so when it drops I don't puncture. Usually find myself topping it up once it feels close, if it drops any lower pressure drops really fast and feels squishy quick. Can feel it bottom out occasionally and that's not hitting any real edges! A tyre with stronger sidewalls may hold up better and run at 60-65 without losing the air these continentals do. The Specialized Roubaix Pro's I ran through the last couple of winters would.

Temporarily n-1 :(
What happened?! :(

Th66rWuh.jpg.png

Snapped the bolt in the headset compression top last night.......**** :(
Ordered a new one but missing riding the Wiggle Tempest today.

So annoyed with myself for such a basic mistake.
Rubbish but glad you got it out and it didn't happen when you where out riding! :)

Looking at getting a new commute bike.

I think its probably between a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5, or a Genesis Croix-de-fer 30

Will sort out some test rides, but just wondering if anyone has either and what their thoughts are...
Not heard much about the Checkpoint but they are quite new.

Croix are very well regarded but getting quite old now, should mean some good deals on them, or alternatives at the retail price point with better/newer specs.

With a LBS doing any of the work for you, assume you've got one in mind or a good relationship with one? Speak to them and see what they recommend and what they're trying to push you towards, there will be good reasons (brands they carry/prefer/best margins on) but also do your own research. They may even have some quality trade-ins.

Soldato
Fight the heatwave, while power training up hills with extra weight... Add an additional cage mount to the bars/seatpost of your steed! ;)

Now carrying three bottles, ~2.75 litres for rides over ~2 hours unless they are first thing on a "cool" morning with <18C at ~0700 (which hasn't happened often recently)... I've lost all the weight I lost by the new set of wheels, tubes and tyres until I sweat it off each ride! :eek: :D

Soldato
Went out yesterday afternoon just after 4 and it was baking hot! Dropped a jersey off I'd flogged and intended on doing a ~15 mile loop afterwards but it was so hot that even only 4-5 miles into it I'd drunk 90% of my 800ml bottle so sacked it off and headed home. Heading North-West the wind was like an oven, as soon as I turned South-West it was cooler. Too hot to be out putting some seated power efforts in! :o

I've got a ringpull from Redbull for a free months Premium if anyone wants it? Only 1 per acct and already done one on mine. Competitive pricing, just trust me! ;)

Back
Top Bottom