Sky Friends and Family deal thread! Now with, er NOW deals!

Caporegime
OP
I think I started a new contract in Jan but not 100% sure. It's seems like a good deal, however our current box is 40% full and I believe you lose everything in the upgrade (but I'm not sure why).

Think like changing PC, anything on the old PC is lost when you get the new one. There's no function to copy items from the hard drive and even then with a big Hard Drive it would still take hours. It's just not feasible.

Soldato
Think like changing PC, anything on the old PC is lost when you get the new one. There's no function to copy items from the hard drive and even then with a big Hard Drive it would still take hours. It's just not feasible.
What i mean is, i'll surely still have the old box. Does it just not work anymore? When i got this box, i had 2 on the go at once as i watched the stuff off the old one (granted thats was an old hd box to a newer hd box, buit still..).

Caporegime
OP
What i mean is, i'll surely still have the old box. Does it just not work anymore? When i got this box, i had 2 on the go at once as i watched the stuff off the old one (granted thats was an old hd box to a newer hd box, buit still..).
While you will still have the old box the LNB on the dish will be changed to one only compatible with Sky Q and the viewing card will be replaced and then paired to the Sky Q box. There will be no way to watch your previously recorded content.

Soldato
While you will still have the old box the LNB on the dish will be changed to one only compatible with Sky Q and the viewing card will be replaced and then paired to the Sky Q box. There will be no way to watch your previously recorded content.
OK I thought that might be the case, so stuff is still there but there's no way to access it. Seems like a bit of an oversight Imo, my Mrs will never go for it until we (she) clears the box a bit. Only get chance to watch 1 or 2 programme a night due to kids.

Caporegime
OP
OK I thought that might be the case, so stuff is still there but there's no way to access it. Seems like a bit of an oversight Imo, my Mrs will never go for it until we (she) clears the box a bit. Only get chance to watch 1 or 2 programme a night due to kids.

Have you checked what's actually been recorded? Is there any real likelihood that anything recorded more than 6 months ago is going to be watched? Is any of it available on Sky Box Sets or On Demand/catch up?

Soldato
Have you checked what's actually been recorded? Is there any real likelihood that anything recorded more than 6 months ago is going to be watched? Is any of it available on Sky Box Sets or On Demand/catch up?
I havent checked when it was recorded but its the sheer volume that i'd have to log and check. I suppose i could check to see whtas available on demand. Old stuff does get watched, its just the backlog and american series having 25 episodes in that take up the time.

Associate
Just noticed my sky q bill is going up from £12/month (original misschief F&F code from 2016) to £56/month from 16th August. Best retention deal they offered was £37.50 for the 2TB box, 1 multiroom, sky boxset, which is too much given we hardly watch live TV anymore tbh. If we get another F&F code how would it work? Would I cancel and simultaneously then say my wife puts in an order for a new account using the code?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
If we get another F&F code how would it work? Would I cancel and simultaneously then say my wife puts in an order for a new account using the code?

That's worked for me on a number of occasions. I recall @Jez doing that for years, if I remember right. Maybe not with an F&F code but at least for new customer offers.

Associate
That's worked for me on a number of occasions. I recall @Jez doing that for years, if I remember right. Maybe not with an F&F code but at least for new customer offers.

Thanks can i just confirm, do you wait for the subscription to run out and return the equipment then place a new order or do you place one right away after confirming on the phone you wish to cancel?

Associate
My Sky Q deal is coming to an end at the end of August - I pay £50 for movies, sports, box sets etc. I also have the 2TB box and two minis. What's the best deal I can hope for if I ring retentions at the end of my contract?

Associate
My Sky Q deal is coming to an end at the end of August - I pay £50 for movies, sports, box sets etc. I also have the 2TB box and two minis. What's the best deal I can hope for if I ring retentions at the end of my contract?

It sounds like you have the complete bundle, so around £62 with the best possible offers available, and if you're lucky enough to get to someone who will have an offer code (people get 4 per week).

That's through retentions, if you cancel there may be something better if you call in afterwards but even then don't expect it to be better than £55 at the most. Sky are in a good position now and can afford to lose customers in order to not give out the old 50-60% off, on the other hand you have companies like Virgin who are essentially paying people to join (£200 credit or vouchers has been the talk these last few days, crazy stuff).

Associate
@MissChief @superdumper

Any ideas as to when they might offer the next decent deal, or is there no set pattern?

I really don't know.

When the one before the last one ended in late March I was expecting the next one to start in June or July. Turns out they started it in May and it lasted until late June. There is no set pattern, but personally I am expecting a new one to start by early September at the latest (so in the next 5-6 weeks), because they always have one ending in late November and they usually run for about 30-45 days.

Unless they decided to change things, Sky likes to do that.

As soon as I know something for sure I will post here, MissChief will too.

Soldato
After the UKTV debacle with Virgin, I'd like to go back to Sky - I would be relatively happy with the £35 per month including Cinema offer they have but is there anyway to get the one-off costs down? I would like a 2TB main box and 2 mini boxes but the £184 one-off seems astronomically high!

Soldato
Hmm, leave the order in your basket for a while, you might find the one off price drops . When I looked at signing up for UHD I was also put off by the high price of the setup and sat on the fence for a while. Then one time I re-priced the whole thing up and the setup fee had dropped to £75, so I went through with the order.

Might even be worth phoning them up and seeing if there's any movement on the price, I mean in the long term Sky will get there money out of you anyway.

Back
Top Bottom