• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Caught out by Ryzen 2xxx / 300-series mobo issue

Associate
Just finished building my new system, Ryzen 5 2600X + MSI B350.

Gutted to discover now that 300-series motherboards have issues with the 2000-series Ryzen CPUs, requiring a BIOS update. Slightly annoyed that there was nothing to indicate this on the retailer's product page (a competitor).

Did you have this issue? Did you resolve it via the AMD RMA/boot kit process, or did you approach the retailer for help?

All I want to do is enjoy my new system! :p

Cheers
Rich

Soldato
I got a B350 mobo with a 2200g which refused to boot so I had to go down the boot kit route from AMD. They sent me a A5 9600 cpu and cooler so I could update the bios.

My board came on version F6 and updated to F23D. Once done I swapped back over and the pc then booted fine.

My board was a gigabyte AB350M gaming 3 but I was expecting to run into this issue so I let plenty of time before my sons birthday(3 weeks) to make sure I had it all up and running.

The issue is the B350 boards where released at the same time as the 1200/1600/1700 so any old stock are not going to support the new processors out of the box and with no bios version printed on the side anymore you don't know what version it's shipped wth. Took me a week to get my boot kit from AMD, had to confirm I had a processor that qualified for the boot kit and they will ask you to go back to the reseller first to get the bios update. Just explained it's not a service they provide as I did ask ocuk if they could update the bios before sending it out but they couldn't

All postage and courier paid for by AMD so was good that they provide this service as it's not their fault the bios is out of date. As far as I'm aware intel don't do this which made me go for AMD more over intel for a cheaper build as if it was intel I would have had to buy/find a processor to update the bios

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. I've got a request in with AMD as well as with the retailer I purchased from. See who can get me up and running first.

Out of interest how long did the AMD boot kit take to arrive (from submitting the request to receiving the kit)?

Edit: just seen your edit!

Soldato
Parts arrived on the 3rd of May and built on the Saturday, logged RMA to AMD Saturday afternoon and got a reply Monday (bank holiday). The following Monday the processor was with me and ready to use.

Make sure everything is ok before sending the processor back as if you have a faulty motherboard then you will have to do the boot kit process over again.

Soldato
Bought an Asrock AB350 PRO4 early May and luckily the BIOS supported the 2200G I bought at the same time. Initial POST took longer than expected and I thought I was going to have to go down the boot kit route.

Surprised the old mobo stock hasn't been cleared yet.

Associate
OP
Surprised the old mobo stock hasn't been cleared yet.
Thinking about it I have no definitive proof that the BIOS is in fact in need of an update. I can't see a BIOS version printed anywhere on the motherboard, other than MS-7A34 ver 4.0 which is the model number of the board and doesn't correlate to a BIOS version as far as I can tell.

Ho hum.

Soldato
Thinking about it I have no definitive proof that the BIOS is in fact in need of an update. I can't see a BIOS version printed anywhere on the motherboard, other than MS-7A34 ver 4.0 which is the model number of the board and doesn't correlate to a BIOS version as far as I can tell.

Ho hum.

They are no longer stuck on the box, mine would just refuse to boot. Pc got power and everything looked it it was ok but no display at all. I was using the on board gpu as well

Soldato
That's what mine does. Everything powers up, the diagnostic LEDs all clear but no POST.

You'd think that an AM4 board would just support any AM4 CPU but noooooooo :p
I know, shame on them and their lack of bios updates on old stock lol.

At least AMD offer a solution instead of intels "your on your own" solution. This is why I got the B350 mobo as I could save abit more on the build and not have to get the latest motherboard for the processor to work. I didn't mind the wait

I wonder if they send you the same processor they sent me. It was brand new on a sealed box like it came from OCUK or a reseller. They give you a account number to call dhl on wen your done to arrange collection and to print out return labels.

Soldato

Gutted to discover now that 300-series motherboards have issues with the 2000-series Ryzen CPUs, requiring a BIOS update. Slightly annoyed that there was nothing to indicate this on the retailer's product page (a competitor).

Did you have this issue? Did you resolve it via the AMD RMA/boot kit process, or did you approach the retailer for help?

Cheers
Rich

On some Asus boards you don't need to have CPU installed to update the BIOS. (eg CH6)
Blame the mono manufacturer for not adding that functionality....

But also only a handful of Intel boards support that functionality. And and there are going to be quite a few with issues if they buy a 9xxx and new Z370 (or lower spec) board without updated bios.
At least thank AMD for providing the boot kit.

Soldato
My request for a boot kit has been approved.

As I'm going to have to take my CPU out of the socket to use the one they send, will I need to buy more thermal paste? As I'll have to take the cooler off to release the CPU.

I bought thermal paste to re apply once I changed back the cpus.

Soldato
I have a system I'm waiting to build with a 2600X and a Gigabyte AB350N motherboard. The box for the motherboard says "AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready". Am I likely to run into this problem?

Soldato
I have a system I'm waiting to build with a 2600X and a Gigabyte AB350N motherboard. The box for the motherboard says "AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready". Am I likely to run into this problem?
I would double check with the supplier as that may just mean it's comparable providing a bios update is done first.

Caporegime

Cheers
Rich

Its not so much an 'issue' as it is simply backwards compatibility on older Motherboards for new CPU's, to get new 2000 series CPU's working on Motherboards designed for 1000 series CPU of course the motherboards firmware will need updating.
AMD have done this so you can upgrade your CPU for a newer one without also having to buy a new Motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom