Firefighters ... Shoes on the dashboard

Permabanned
Impossible to say with out atleast seeing an example.
While it wouldn't surprise me if some individuals put it on for the cameras, it's not the norm from my limited experience. The other likely possibility is that they are still in the stages of "damping down" /salvage/investigation, where they will be sifting through the wreckage/pull parts down to make the scene safe/put out any smoldering areas.
What's your hypothesis Chris?

I suspect it gives them a kick to be dressed up in all the gear, on camera, to be be frank ;) Bit like the traffic cops with the shades and a desire to be involved in something dramatic and confrontational, when in fact some 17 year old girl in a decent old front wheel drive Peugeot made one look like he was a nervous learner driver in his new Subaru. In fairness, whatever this girl had done to be doing a runner, she should give it up and start a motorsport career, she was a bleedin' natural ;)

I suspect quite a lot of our emergency services give it a bit of gung ho for the TV cameras these days.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, no, you misread what I said, I am asking why do they not remove their helmets and fireproof jackets after the blaze is long out and before talking to the media? They very often look as if they have deliberately put the gear back ON to speak in front of any cameras.
They're still on an active scene so full kit on.

Permabanned
Even if the reporter that's interviewing him is in her best summer dress? And the fire was out hours ago? And it was a hundred yards from where he's being interviewed? It's something that's always bugged me for some reason...

Associate
Even if the reporter that's interviewing him is in her best summer dress? And the fire was out hours ago? And it was a hundred yards from where he's being interviewed? It's something that's always bugged me for some reason...
Again can only comment from my experience, but in the few jobs I've been to that had reporters present (granted local/regional news) I've not noticed anyone don kit if it's already relaxed to go talk to them. It's possible though think most of us the emergency services have pride in what we do and are guilty for playing up to the image at some point. But in this case with out the details to hand I'd hazard a guess that while the fire is out, the job is still on going especially if its an industrial job, I've been at jobs days after "the fire is out" damping down and salvaging.

Soldato
It's also uniform. It's about pride in your appearance and looking smart and professional and giving out the impression you know what you're doing.

I got filmed for TV the other day doing a search. I had been searching with my overalls tied round my waist with no armour or vest on because it was hot and there was no one about. When the camera came out I got dressed properly because it looks smarter.

Associate
No, no, you misread what I said, I am asking why do they not remove their helmets and fireproof jackets after the blaze is long out and before talking to the media? They very often look as if they have deliberately put the gear back ON to speak in front of any cameras.
because it is still the official uniform of the Fire Service, no different to Police or the Armed Forces, they will always have full and proper uniform on when performing official duties, and press conferences are very much under that definition.

Associate
It has nothing to do with being in uniform and looking smart as you are still in a smart uniform in your normal duty rig. On the incident ground you wear full PPE regardless. Even the officers working from the command vehicle and speaking to the press will be in full fire kit, boots and helmets.

Back
Top Bottom