*** Show us your bikes! ***

Caporegime
My humble beginners bike ('97 ER5):

Have had it for over a year now, perhaps even 2.
Not the most exiting bike, but I'm still learning and a faster bike in my hands would not go too well, seeing as I still drive like a hooligan in any car I get, even after 9 years :p.

Zo vreemd om Nederlandse platen hier to zien :p

Soldato
^ Definitely nice scenery and roads!

And yeah 500cc 2 cyl, bought the ER5 for 600 euros. And yeah I'm Dutch :p.

Had to replace a few things since I got the bike:

- Valve cover gasket.
- Coolant gasket near the pressure valve & pump.
- Coolant filter (filter you ask, yes, filter, there's a filter on the ER5 for the coolant that heats the carb)
- Full Carb revision/clean
- Spark plugs, leads
- Had to unplug most of the cables and grease them as I had ignition problems caused by bad contacts.
- Fuel lead from tank to faucet, probably damaged it when messing with my tank, but still, 21 year old rubber...
- If driven sporty in city, it overheated (but everything was hot radiator too, fan worked, I didn't lose a drop of coolant, and after driving calmly the temp warning light went off in 30 seconds and in the 20-30 mins after didn't go on again), it appeared more than half my radiator was covered/clogged in mud/crap/goo, cleaned it with a brush for washing up and since then it hasn't happened, but rad needs a decent clean still.

Tyres were good as new though, exhaust was new, brake pads were new and chain was new when I got it.

Still unhappy about the gear lever, to much play which makes changing gears when standing still a bit hasslesome sometimes (needs quite a good kick especially going down from 2 into 1 or neutural). Also the heated handles don't appear to work (bit it does draw a little bit of power, I can see a slight voltage dip when I turn it off/on).
It's done 83k km's now. But, it's a Kawa so should run forever :).

Still nice bike to not worry if I fall (there is falling damage already, I don't care), and cheap enough to simply leave on steering lock in town (saves hassle with using chain to lock it)/not worry about theft.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was considering buying a brand new Africa Twin or KTM Adventure but took the head staggers and bought this blind...

8SwjL0K.jpg

Never driven one before and was filled with immediate regret once it was delivered. It is huge and weighs as much as a fire engine. It’s a 2010 R1200RT-P. Previous owner was London Met.

However, after the initial few miles it takes to get comfortable, I’m completely in love with it. Did 200 miles today and my rear end does not resemble a bullet wound. This will take some getting used to! Surprisingly brilliant in the corners for such a tank.

Soldato
I was going to correct you and say ridden not driven but I think you’re probably right :p

They’re very capable bikes, if you can get past the looks you won’t go far wrong!

Soldato
Had this a month or so now, took it up to the dales for a blast yesterday :cool:

s3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom