RC cars

Soldato
Why would it :confused: Seen pics of cars using 3D printed parts for brushless conversions? Loads of parts on Thingiverse.
A suspension arm is under high stress levels. 3d printed parts are not strong or structural in anyway. Unless you use a very expensive printer I guess, but it will not be as strong as injection molded plastic.

Soldato
Caporegime
A suspension arm is under high stress levels. 3d printed parts are not strong or structural in anyway. Unless you use a very expensive printer I guess, but it will not be as strong as injection molded plastic.

I think this may be an outdated opinion tbh, printing materials have come a long way in recent years. Not quite injection moulding but still strong nonetheless. I'll ask a mate of mine, works for a firm who specialize in additive manufacturing, they've also done loads of parts for the Bloodhound SSC so they're probably good enough to comment on RC car parts :p

Soldato
It depends on what material you use, the standard 3D printing materials like PLA, ABS and PETG aint super strong. PLA is probably the strongest but brittle, ABS has the most give so has some flex. There are other materials which maybe better suited to the task like Nylon or Polycarbonate but there are hard to print on a lot of the normal 3D printers. Also shapeways use a totally different method of 3D printing to the one most common in the home, it is a lot stronger.

It's definitely possible and if done properly will be up for the task.

Soldato
A mate does a lot of DIY - carbon tubs baked in the oven for example when his Mrs isn't looking.

He has made a FWD buggy very much like the ORB FF210 and his suspension arms are 3D printed.

He also built a 2WD buggy with lay down shocks - like a TopCat and the front arms on that were printed. A little bendy but never broke.

Soldato
And you are an expert in this how? Just curious :D

The seven pages on suspension parts for RC cars on Shapeways also begs to differ.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/tech/rc-cars/?q=&sort=popularity&facet[pdcId][]=647&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500
we have an ultimaker 3 at work which is £5K printer. it prints things to a decent stardard but they are not strong at all. people make gears for rc cars on shapeways.......... it doesnt mean they are strong. XD
I think this may be an outdated opinion tbh, printing materials have come a long way in recent years. Not quite injection moulding but still strong nonetheless. I'll ask a mate of mine, works for a firm who specialize in additive manufacturing, they've also done loads of parts for the Bloodhound SSC so they're probably good enough to comment on RC car parts :p
the material is not the problem at all. its weak because the way the plastic is built up in layers.

Soldato
bit of a thread resurrection.

Dug this old chap out of the loft today after a +15 year slumber.
YYYlYYq.jpg
Tamiya tl01 alfa 155,with a few upgrades, no shell as that's still at my parents.

shockingly it still works! I was always pretty anal at discharging the battery's and guess it paid off, I doubt they are anything like as capable as they were but ok for a quick spin.

The first outing and I stripped the "speed tuned" gears... :o (must have left the motor loose, nothing to do with the 12t motor!)

Used to have a blackfoot and various mardaves, they were so simple but brutal, great fun on foam tyres that never lasted the length of the battery, always wanted there petrol stock car and looking on ebay suggests they are getting quite rare!

Soldato
Hey all.

Looking to get an RC car for my lads 7th in April.

I've built a tamiya about 20 years ago . About 7 years a go I got rid of it all. It was electric and had some upgrades like an ECU etc.

Would need all new.

Willing to spend £300-£350 for everything we need. Should say this is more me as well :)

Be nice if it could be upgradable for the future.

Would drive it mostly on the road around our estate and the local park, BMX park.

Thoughts?

I believe brusless and lipo are the way to go now when electric?

Soldato
And you are an expert in this how? Just curious :D

The seven pages on suspension parts for RC cars on Shapeways also begs to differ.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/tech/rc-cars/?q=&sort=popularity&facet[pdcId][]=647&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500
Given the quote I’d say not an expert or any other grade of expertise lol. Even paper has structural strength. A 3D printed part may not be as strong in a like for like part that’s designed to be injection moulded but a part that is designed to be 3D printed can be extremely strong, especially if you anneal it.

Associate
Hey all.

Looking to get an RC car for my lads 7th in April.

I've built a tamiya about 20 years ago . About 7 years a go I got rid of it all. It was electric and had some upgrades like an ECU etc.

Would need all new.

Willing to spend £300-£350 for everything we need. Should say this is more me as well :)

Be nice if it could be upgradable for the future.

Would drive it mostly on the road around our estate and the local park, BMX park.

Thoughts?

I believe brusless and lipo are the way to go now when electric?

Buy a pre built bundle. Kits aint cheap these days especially for a full setup with motor/batteries/esc/transmitter/charger.

Obviously part often fun is building/painting them but I think you'd struggle on that budget.

S/h well worth a look though as they generally don't hold value from year to year.

Associate
Thanks for the advice will take a look at prebuilt. Any suggestions on brand and model that spares can be bought for?
I'd buy a Tamiya set and build it if either you or your son will get a kick out of this.
my ten year old and I have built two buggies. Approx £130 for kit includes digital speed controller, £30 for rc control, £14 spare battery, £20 charger and £20 for paint.
It won't be as fast as Lipo but it is decent to begin with. Can always upgrade motor, speed controller, battery and charger later and still come in within a £350 budget

Associate
lol tamiya, not going to take that to the bmx park.

Get a traxxas, both the slash 4wd 4x4 or the new rustler 4wd 4x4 should be in budget, might have to go 2nd hand in the uk or you can look at rcmart for good new prices but from china.
Just make sure to get a brushless version (VX-L powered not XL-5) with tsm.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice will take a look at prebuilt. Any suggestions on brand and model that spares can be bought for?

Depends what you are looking for in RC. If its just to go fast and bash around probably not Tamiya. Personally though, I would get Tamiya, a TT02. It's simple to build, will be slow enough for a beginner to learn and upgradable as ability improves.

At my local club we have a TT02 class. Completely stock, motor, tyres all the same and no mods. After a very short time we now have 2 heats worth of TT02s

Soldato
lol tamiya, not going to take that to the bmx park.

Get a traxxas, both the slash 4wd 4x4 or the new rustler 4wd 4x4 should be in budget, might have to go 2nd hand in the uk or you can look at rcmart for good new prices but from china.
Just make sure to get a brushless version (VX-L powered not XL-5) with tsm.

This one? https://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxa...-rtr-tsm-mark-jenkins-/rc-car-products/419844

Look like it comes with the controller, just need batteries and charger.

But over budget so will see if I can get second hand or grey import perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom