• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 v 1080

Associate
I don’t know if it will or not I’m just going by what was said above, that’s why I asked @willhub what games it is he plays as we have the same laptop.
but wildlands is one of the games I play most. I don’t/wouldn’t game 4K a lot only when I’m hooked up to the tv

Yes Wildlands is a very demanding game and you won't be able to run that on a 1070,1070ti,1080 at 4K at max settings. For me, max settings are not the holy grail, if it won't run I just step the settings down, but for some on this forum that's the ultimate sacrilege. It depends how you feel on that issue as to what you should do.

The 1070ti is a few percent short of a 1080, but relatively speaking they are very good value. Having said that I have seen 1080's cheaper than 1070ti's at the moment.

I personally think that when the 11 series come out there are going to be no bargains. There will be more performance but you are going to have to pay for it. It all comes down to how much do you want that extra performance?

If you really want the best for the 4K TV then I would say wait, but if you are prepared to turn the settings down then get a 10 series. Either way get the best you can/want to afford.

Soldato
With my laptop I play Crew 2, Cities, No Man's Sky, Forza 7, at 4k fine but I don't mind dipping below 60fps. Resident Evil 7 I had to slightly drop the settings with no detriment to graphics quality though.

Associate
OP
At the moment I play wildlands, pcars2, injustice 2, TT and rise of the tomb raider. I don’t mind having the settings at high I don’t have to have them at very high or ultra to be happy.

Just been sent away with work so not had time
To hook it up to my TV.

I’ll keep looking over the next few weeks still not sure about 1070 over 1080

he 1070ti is a few percent short of a 1080, but relatively speaking they are very good value. Having said that I have seen 1080's cheaper than 1070ti's at the moment.

So a 1070ti s a few percent short of a 1080 I take it that it’s the £500 1080’s and not the 6-7-£800 cards?

Is there a big differance between the 1080’s?

I don’t want buyers remorse but like I said before think I’ll get one and just leave the next gen as I could end up having to upgrade even more things.
Probably have a budget of day £500.

Soldato
So a 1070ti s a few percent short of a 1080 I take it that it’s the £500 1080’s and not the 6-7-£800 cards?

A 1080 is a 1080, they all perform more or less the same as they have the same chip and RAM size. You might find marginal differences in performance due to some cards staying cooler than others. Otherwise it's just looks, heat and noise that vary.

The £600-800 cards are the 1080 Ti which is a different chip and has more RAM. It's a higher model entirely, could be called a 1090 if you prefer.

Associate
At the moment I play wildlands, pcars2, injustice 2, TT and rise of the tomb raider. I don’t mind having the settings at high I don’t have to have them at very high or ultra to be happy.

Just been sent away with work so not had time
To hook it up to my TV.

I’ll keep looking over the next few weeks still not sure about 1070 over 1080

I don’t want buyers remorse but like I said before think I’ll get one and just leave the next gen as I could end up having to upgrade even more things.
Probably have a budget of day £500.

That's a very good question and I don't really know the answer to it. If you go by clock frequencies then some of the 1080's are running 5% or so faster than others. When you are only talking 5% difference between a 1070ti and a 1080 then obviously that 5% can make a real difference.

Soldato
I’ll have to have a closer look as I see there are 5 or 6 1080’s up on OcUK around the £500 mark

I really wouldn’t.

Even the 1080ti can’t keep 60fps at 4K in some games, and future titles will only become more demanding.

Just wait, announcement is on the 20th. It’ll likely lower the price of 10 series cards and when they’re released we’ll finally have proper 4K capable cards. Just in time for 4K+ high refresh to be a thing and we’ll need new cards next year for dem fps. It’s almost like the industry is conspiring against us to keep the upgrade cycle going :p

Associate
OP
I know what you mean it’s like a never ending cycle and slowly but surely you’ve swapped out nearly every bit of hardware you have due to hype:D usually at the top of it buying the best of things but over the past year it’s becoming to often so I have slowed right down and find things I’m “happy” with instead of what’s the best thing available. I can only imagine the price of the new cards if or when they get announced

Soldato
I know what you mean it’s like a never ending cycle and slowly but surely you’ve swapped out nearly every bit of hardware you have due to hype:D usually at the top of it buying the best of things but over the past year it’s becoming to often so I have slowed right down and find things I’m “happy” with instead of what’s the best thing available. I can only imagine the price of the new cards if or when they get announced

The announcement is on the 20th of this month. I think we’ll see more expensive, but not insane. With exceptional performance. Though I can’t say what miners, dram pricing and gouging will do to MSRPs, nothing good that’s for sure.

High prices initially will probably be partly to push sales of the remaining 10 series. I think we’ll see a price drop after a few months when the old stock has mostly cleared.

CPUs have been more than enough at the top end for quite some time. My 4790K is still a very capable chip, and I see no reason to upgrade any time soon. The core count race will certainly influence games down the line, where I think we’ll see core count benefiting performance more than IPC, but imo that’s quite some time down the road, and I won’t be upgrading for at least another 2 years. Considering that’s a 4 year old chip already I think that’s pretty awesome.

As for monitors I tend to spend a lot, but for a long time now I don’t think they’ve been worth their high asking prices considering the compromises; blb, glow, motion blur, crushed blacks, overshoot, response time etc. With HDR, FALD and Quantum Dot we’re finally seeing properly awesome monitors without as many caveats. If I have to pay £1800 for a 4K/UW with all the bells and whistles then so be it, it’ll likely last ten years.

GPUs on the other hand get old fast, and the lower end ones even faster. We all have to make our own judgement on the value of our expenditure, knowing it’ll be worth comparably little two generations down the line. For me that used to mean *80 sli. Now it means the ti or Titan. I cannot justify the expense of the latter!

For me the limit is around £850. It still blows my mind that this number is acceptable to me. Blows my mind even more that people are still paying more than that right now for a 2 year old product. If I can’t get a ti for that then I’ll hold off the gpu and monitor upgrade until that sort of money can buy you minimum 80 FPS at 4K.

When I was first building gaming PCs a grand would buy you a monster. It’s utterly bonkers to me that I could barely get above an entry level system with that kind of money these days. £3,000 is about right for a top end gaming build now, and that’s just for the box. It’s insane, and yet we all go along with it, and I’m about as bad as anyone.

If I had to build new rig right now, I wouldn’t. The cost of entry is just too high and consoles too convenient. But I was indoctrinated many years ago and have a decent enough machine that I can just upgrade gradually and keep my sanity. I’m gobsmacked young people are still getting into it given the obscene cost of entry. YouTube streamers probably help.

Anyway, stupidly long post. My bad

Associate
OP
That’s ok it gets your point across, I bought my system on the 8th of August last year so it’s nearly a year old and I went to the same place to build it again and it’s almost £300 dearer to buy it today! I’m not sure if I would say it was an entry level build I have maybe a mid I’m not sure but it’s good enough to play what I play at the moment (not at 4K) with most things. I have a i5 7500 which I would like to think will last me a while and a 1060 mini 6gb which is what I was thinking of upgrading! If I did go ahead would I have to upgrade anything else in my system? I have a 550w EVGA PSU and a h110m s2h mobo.

Associate
OP
After seeing the new prices I’ve decided to buy, no way am I paying that just now.

I’m wanting to buy a 1070ti, found one for £409 which I think is reasonable.
Will it be a straight swap for my 1060 mini?
Will I need a new PSU?
I have a 550w EVGA

Last edited:
Soldato
Should be a straight swap, yes. A decent 550W unit like that will be more than enough with the setup you have. Even if you crank a 1070 Ti as far as it'll go, it'll only consume around 215W on average, and it's not like you're running it with a 7890XE or something.

ztERz8r.jpg

Associate
I just read over at Tom's Hardware that Zotac has been particularly aggressive with its deals on the 1080ti, 1080 and 1070. The story is USA based but it will be interesting to see them we see it over here.

Associate
OP
Should be a straight swap, yes. A decent 550W unit like that will be more than enough with the setup you have. Even if you crank a 1070 Ti as far as it'll go, it'll only consume around 215W on average, and it's not like you're running it with a 7890XE or something.

ztERz8r.jpg

Thanks some good info! This will probably be my only upgrade for a while so good to know that it’ll just be a straight swap.

Associate
OP
So I’ve been humming and haying all day about which card to buy. Is there any performance differences between the standard size cards and the minis? Except from the obvious extra fan?
I’m bad when it comes to good buys always making sure before I buy

Associate
OP
I ended up getting a 1070ti expecting delivery tomorrow, I got the mini to reduce PSU usage and for more options later on as I’m case wise as I have a mATX build. Where would be best to sell on my 1060? Gumtree,eBay? Is there any pc parts market forums? Not quiet there with the 1000 posts yet

Soldato
I ended up getting a 1070ti expecting delivery tomorrow, I got the mini to reduce PSU usage and for more options later on as I’m case wise as I have a mATX build. Where would be best to sell on my 1060? Gumtree,eBay? Is there any pc parts market forums? Not quiet there with the 1000 posts yet
eBay has the widest market and stuff will sell quick, but there will be substantial fees. You'll also probably get people low-balling you if you accept offers. Auctions usually end high though.

I'm part of some Facebook groups for buying/selling too. It's friendly sometimes but less regulated so you also get the odd scammer.

Gumtree is a decent medium, but it has the smallest customer reach I'd say. Mostly local.

Back
Top Bottom