• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Soldato
SmilingCrow: Sorry but:
You should look at the release schedule for Intel’s 22nm process where they led with quad cores for both desktop and mobile and followed up with dual cores later: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#Desktop_processors

Yep, they released the high end quad core mainstream parts first as I already showed; end of story. That is the discussion and you are trying to move the goalposts now because I proved you to be wrong.

Release date of a chip is not the same as first production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_nanometer
On April 23, 2012, Intel Core i7 and Intel Core i5 processors based on Intel's Ivy Bridge 22 nm technology for series 7 chipsets went on sale worldwide.[6] Volume production of 22 nm processors began more than six months earlier, as confirmed by former Intel CEO Paul Otellini on October 19, 2011.

They clearly spent 6-9 months in production prior to release and that enabled them to lead with the chip they wanted to first. It was also a 160mm2 chip. I don't understand where you are coming from but you definitely didn't prove anyone wrong here - you just quoted an unrelated date that supported your story not the production facts. They didn't produce the quad core first - they produced a large volume of 160mm2 chips and built stock by harvesting the ones they could to be Quad cores and the rest to be dual cores.

More to the point we can look at all the history we want - if you believe the roadmaps Intel are going to release Y and U grade Icelake on 10nm before they go to server chips and they are squeezing in Cascade lake and Cooper Lake onto the desktop before Icelake.

That shows that they have a clear small low powered pipecleaner chip before they are releasing the Server chips. But both you and Drunkenmaster seem to agree - you are just arguing over, I am not even sure what.

It also suggests two things - that while they are able to scale cores and power efficiency on 10nm they have hit a speedwall which is what they have struggled to overcome, negatively impacting single core IPC - hence mobile and server chips as they are less sensitive to single core IPC and more sensitive to Power usage and core count. This would be awesome news for AMD with Epyc 2 and 3 series, especially since Intel are not even predicting 10nm Server chips till Q3 2019 which will have given AMD clear blue water for a while.

Second that they believe that with Cascade and Cooper Lake that they are capable of higher single core IPC on their 14nm process than AMD are going to be able to hit next year. If AMD can release a 7nm Desktop processor in 2019 that takes the single core IPC crown it will be almost 12 months before Intel can respond.

I don't see there being any major roadblock to AMD having an amazing financial outlook through to 2h2020 at this point, I just wish I had some spare cash to speculate.

GPU's... there are not enough hints to guess at - but the CPU division is going to be capable of carrying AMD next year, I just hope that they use that financial fortitude to build a GPU that people want to buy - if they don't have some secret sauce already on route.

Associate
According to the latest data from Mindfactory (Link), a big hardware retailer in Germany, AMD has overtaken Intel in number of CPU’s sold in July.

9PgMlkB.png

On the graph, we can see AMD’s 1600 CPU still remains their best seller followed by the 2700k at second place.
The 2600 series combined sold almost twice as much as the month before while the 2200G experienced it's best result to date.

Intel’s 8700k is still dominating the charts while the 8400 and 8600k are doing pretty good too.
AMD has just released their budget B450 motherboards so it will be interesting to see if this helps sales this month.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
People in this forum are very much the minority of users, most people don't know the FX CPU's like we do, and actually they are popular amongst some who do, Linux users, Home Server guys like them.

And they are cheap.

Associate
SmilingCrow: Sorry but: Release date of a chip is not the same as first production.

My conversation with Drunken was always about release data and this is the quote that started it:

IE they are going to release dual core stuff again end of 2019. That puts server and probably higher power desktop way into 2020. For big server chips it's going to be late 2020 or even 2021.

But feel free to change the goalpost as drunken did and have a conversation with yourself as I have no opinion or interest in production start dates.

Permabanned
The Ryzen CPU's are selling incredibly well, but so they should be, it actually feels like were giving them away with 8/16 CPU's from £169.99, seems too cheap but if AMD can do it and still make money, then great, just hope they are making money whilst been so aggressive.
I assume its Old stock and they are not producing any Zen1 anymore ??
But the price is soo good :) good ram kit costs more nowadays :/

Soldato
Lets all admit that if it wasn't for AMD, then INTEL would be still be shafting everyone with quad cores. To try and slap down AMD is a fallacy. We need competition to progress technology, or you end up with what INTEL have been doing since 2014...minimal progression. I love it. I prefer that AMD are now beating INTEL in the CPU area, means INTEL are having to actually get off their butts and do some work.

Back
Top Bottom