Hard wearing paint

Associate
Hi all

I'm going to be repainting my kitchen in the next few weeks only in boring magnolia. Can anyone recommend a paint brand that is hard wearing as there are a few parts that are rubbed and abused by people walking past and it is showing its age even though I only patch covered these parts less than a year ago

Thanks in advance
FluffySheep

Soldato
Kitchen/Bathroom paint is by design harder wearing than standard emulsion, look a specific trade branded paints designed for high traffic areas that can be wiped clean.

Associate
Don't get valspar, it's a pile of carp.
Supposed to be able to use a scouring pad on it after a week...

Well that's a load of tosh. Masking tape pulled it off and when it does come away it peels like old gloss.

£45 for 5 litres, never again

Associate
If you want cheap get vinyl matt, soft sheen or silk, you can get tough paints like clean extreme that you can scrubb but will cost you around £50 for 5l

Avoid flat matt as this just wipes off

Associate
Don't get valspar, it's a pile of carp.
Supposed to be able to use a scouring pad on it after a week...

Well that's a load of tosh. Masking tape pulled it off and when it does come away it peels like old gloss.

£45 for 5 litres, never again

I've had a simular experience. Wont be using it again! I recently used Dulux Easycare washable tough matt. Seems decent so far!

Associate
Magnolia is a nice colour these days. It used to be an old-persons colour, a sort of off-white but these days it's a rather nice cream that goes well with everything.
Personally I like Dulux Easycare.

Soldato
We went for some Armstead durable paint (I'd never heard of it either) when we rapainted our house. It's supplied at all Dulux trade stores and is significantly cheaper than the Dulux alternative but for all intents and purposes it is just as hard wearing.

The previous paint was just standard matt and this has made such a difference, especially having a young child as everything comes off with a wet cloth without ruining the paint.

Soldato
Dulux Endurance II

best paint I've ever used, especially with having two young kids. Put it like this, you can scrub it with cif and a brillo pad and the paint won't come off!

avoid and I'll say that word again...AVOID! maybe a third time **AVOID** anything made by crown

The only tough paint I have used is the wickes own brand one, super matt tough stuff.
Its darn good to be honest, its not magic though.

Some people seem to think its impervious to damage its not, if you wack it hard it will damage. However you see how tough it is when you want to sand it down!

I would certainly prepare the walls well, as if you have a poor base the tougher the paint the more likely it is to bond to itself better than the wall, hence it will peel if damaged

Soldato
Dulux Easycare is by far the best of the readily available hard wearing paints. 2 coats or 3 in heavy wear areas + Huggies Pure Baby Wipes to clean marks off and it's as good as it gets. No need to go to more expensive brands or their trade variant unless you get it cheaper. 2 coats is enough to cover the most garish of wall papers. 3 coats and it's like you have powder coated your walls.

To be fair the Huggies Pure wipes are great at cleaning most things. Randomly they clean up the white rubber on Converse All Stars better than anything I have found that's non toxic/abrasive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom