Water coming up through solid kitchen floor

Soldato
Hi,

Recently moved into a new house and it's throwing everytging it can at us, the most recent little gem is water appearing through the tile grout on a solid kitchen floor right in front of a pvc door.

It only appears at 8/9pm and then dried within a couple of hours so it's happening after baths/showers but it's not cominf from the bathroom

My best guess it the bathroom drains to a drain about 5ft away and this drain is damaged at some point under the house and the water is finding its way up to this point

I don't think there is any piping under the floor and if there was surely the leak would be more consistent

Has anyone experienced anything similar and knows what I can expect? I'm worried this is going to cost a lot money.

Thanks

Soldato
Any drain covers in the back garden that you can open and take a look? Dump some water through from the bath when the cover is off and you should quickly see it go past... If its not/slow its a blockage of some sorts.

Get dynorod (well, the local equivelant) in, they can inspect/sort/advise.

Soldato
OP
Any drain covers in the back garden that you can open and take a look? Dump some water through from the bath when the cover is off and you should quickly see it go past... If its not/slow its a blockage of some sorts.

Get dynorod (well, the local equivelant) in, they can inspect/sort/advise.

Thanks

Cant remove the drain cover its made of a solid material and bonded to the floor/house. Also tried dumping a bath tub full of water through the drain and it goes straight down the drain no backup at all

We've booked a drainage consultant but its not cheap and they cant come till Monday morning but hopefully they'll give us a clearer idea

Any appliances/items in the kitchen near the door, especially ones which require drainage?

Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Sink etc

Thanks

I thought the same, pulled out the finishing piece around the cupboards and inspected for leaks, cant see any signs of damp or water at all

Associate
I think the first questions I would ask is has the house been modified? Has the bathroom had a shower added? Often if a shower is added they don't even try to run the waste pipe to the main sanitary waste inside the house because the shower waste is very low to the ground. Builders sometimes take them by a different route, to an exterior drain, or even a kitchen waste. If that's the case, is it possible you could actually have the shower waste pipe running under the spot where the damp is appearing? I mean I think if the problem was a long way away then it would take a longer time for it to dry out.

Soldato
OP
Shower and bath waste run straight out the wall and into the guttering which then goes to the suspect drain, I really think that because the patch only appears in the evening that there is damage to the drain pipe, large volumes of water from the bath/shower cause it to leak into the area under the kitchen and it works its way up through the floor

I'll find out Monday morning when the drain consultants stick a camera down there, I'm dreading it, got visions of the ground floor being ripped up

Soldato
Is this a brand new build or just a new house?

If within 2 years of a new build get the builders to check, if the house is under 1 years old get NHBC involved.

Soldato
Shower and bath waste run straight out the wall and into the guttering which then goes to the suspect drain, I really think that because the patch only appears in the evening that there is damage to the drain pipe, large volumes of water from the bath/shower cause it to leak into the area under the kitchen and it works its way up through the floor

I'll find out Monday morning when the drain consultants stick a camera down there, I'm dreading it, got visions of the ground floor being ripped up
It's to a gutter? Or a Sewer pipe? No bath or shower should be going into guttering ever!

Soldato
OP
It's not a new house and I've been made aware that the bath and sink should be connected to the waste pipe so I've arranged for it all to be done along with a new bathroom however I still have the very stressful issue of water appearing from under the kitchen floor

Soldato
It sounds like there is a burst pipe under the floor or outside and the water is pooling under the floor possibly causing issues with the foundations of your house (worst case scenario)!

The guttering most likely goes to a soakaway drain (as it should do) that it's probably over flowing g when the bath is drained and then flows towards the house (badly planned of it does), it should as in its name soak away from the property not towards it....

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I am relieved to have found the cause. It is actually coming from the bathroom but the ceiling isn't wet. That's because it runs down some pvc trunking from the bathroom and onto the kitchen floor and then along the tile grout forming a pool away from the trunking, the reason we hadnt spotted the cause was because the grout dries quickly so by the time we noticed the pool the trail had dried!

Absolutely crazy, can't wait for the bathroom to be replaced and all the pipe work done properly

Thanks for the efforts

Soldato
Thanks, I am relieved to have found the cause. It is actually coming from the bathroom but the ceiling isn't wet. That's because it runs down some pvc trunking from the bathroom and onto the kitchen floor and then along the tile grout forming a pool away from the trunking, the reason we hadnt spotted the cause was because the grout dries quickly so by the time we noticed the pool the trail had dried!

Absolutely crazy, can't wait for the bathroom to be replaced and all the pipe work done properly

Thanks for the efforts
Jesus thats crazy! glad you found the most probable cause.

Back
Top Bottom