tools for carpet

Soldato
I have put down some cat 6 cable down at the moment it's just running through the door but I want to put it under the carpet strip.

It's carpet to carpet. What tools need to lift the two sides a.little and put cable between the door frame and carpet strip?

It's not nailed or screw down type it's probably the one with hooks pointing inwards on both sides. I don't need to remove all the carpet just wnough on either side and on other edge as two cables, from room to room.

Soldato
Nope it's used to stretch the carpet over the grippers, the bolster chisel pushes the carpet behind the gripper rod and as the stretched carpet tries to recede the gripper tacks hold it in place.

You can use the head of a hammer to 'push' the carpet back over the gripper rods if you don't have a knee stretcher,doesn't work as well but it does a job.

Associate
Maybe i need a carpet kicker if i use a hammer its just not biting into the grippers, I can feel the grippers through the carpet.

Last edited:
Associate
I would suggest a cheap knee kicker as minimum, but if you plan on doing more refitting overtime then a higher grade one (I use a Roberts GT10.422) is much lighter and way more comfortable on the knees.

The next most useful tools for me were a straight and angled 'T' bar tool to push the carpet down. The angled is great for use under radiators and stairs and both are more comfortable/less damaging than a bolster. I then went on to get a hammer tacker, gripper cutter, gripper nailer etc as I am renovating my home in stages and carpets and underlay are up and down a lot.

Such tools generally last a life time for DIYers so the cost isn't really that bad.

Back
Top Bottom