Amazon warehouse deals - scam to shift products with reduced warranty ?

Soldato
I've bought a few things from Amazon Warehouse deals. An overwhelming amount of them are actually brand new, often with some slight damage to the packaging.

Warranty wise though, I've never had a problem. I've had a few things that have died or become faulty around a year later and Amazon have just accepted them back and issued a full refund.

Soldato
Shortly after I reported the problem the price went up, so that wasn't an option unfortunately.
always the way with 'special deals'
If I didn't have better things to be doing I'd be considering legal options, but my 6 month-old daughter takes up all my time nowadays so I have better things to be doing :)
it's probably a good job your 6 month daughter kept you busy. otherwise you'd have been off making an awful fool of yourself and wasting a lot of time.

Soldato
You have a gross misunderstanding on consumer law... you might like to get off mumsnet and read the actual law.

I bet you're the type who expects to a receive an item anyway if there's a massive pricing error...

What they did was not a breach of consumer law, not at all.

You could have asked them nicely to honour the previous price to compensate for the issue you experienced... but that would be a good will gesture from them and they are under no obligation to do so.

Your better approach instead of angry man... would have been to just ask nicely, it's often better received by the HUMAN on the other end of the communication.

Of course, you were there and saw the conversation between myself and the HUMAN on the other end didn't you? I was perfectly civil towards them as I always am..I work in a customer-facing role so know how to speak to people who are there to help. Whether my understanding of the law is correct or not, I don't appreciate being pigeon-holed by somebody who doesn't know me, so would appreciate it if you refrained from doing so.

Thanks for the link by the way..maybe you can point out which part is relevant to the topic being discussed, because I can't spot anything about pricing errors :confused:

Permabanned
Of course, you were there and saw the conversation between myself and the HUMAN on the other end didn't you? I was perfectly civil towards them as I always am..I work in a customer-facing role so know how to speak to people who are there to help. Whether my understanding of the law is correct or not, I don't appreciate being pigeon-holed by somebody who doesn't know me, so would appreciate it if you refrained from doing so.

Thanks for the link by the way..maybe you can point out which part is relevant to the topic being discussed, because I can't spot anything about pricing errors :confused:

I'll take that as a yes then, you would chase for pricing errors to be fulfilled ;)

It's quite clear on that link... but perhaps the terminology is confusing you... you're probably sleep deprived at the moment anyway... for the purposes of your purchase, it would fall under the term "not as described"... as it was incomplete and damaged.

You have a right to reject for a refund within 30 days... you do not have a right to replacement, although after 30 days the seller might elect (at their discretion) to repair or replace in lieu of a refund and after 30 days you have to allow them one attempt to repair if an item develops a fault... but of course that last bit doesn't apply to your situation.

It's spelled out in that link in easy to process language... if you want the full legal jargon, you can find it easily.

No laws broken... other than you bordering on harassing them, from the sounds of it.

Soldato
Never tried a warehouse deal, had enough issues with supposedly new items turning up used or damaged.

Not just fulfillment items either, customer service always refund but they do seem to have gone a bit downhill.

Soldato
OP
Never tried a warehouse deal
not sure if you can set up an alert for warehouse deals or whether they can be tracked ... but once you know what you want, that would keep them on the radar.

Absence of 'free' returns on Amazon (apart from some shoes) is annoying versus the long running deal with paypal where you can get so many free returns a year,
but afaik you cannot pay amazon with paypal (I suppose paypal finance this from ebay commisions ?)

Soldato
We also ordered a Medela Breast Milk Storage System, listed as "Used - Like New" and was ~75% of the price of a brand new non-Warehouse item. Turns out it was actually faulty and clearly a customer return..the base of the storage bottles are convex, so don't even stand up straight.

"Breast Milk Storage System, listed as "Used - Like New" :eek:

I don't think i would have entertained the idea of buying something like that 'used'.

Soldato
not sure if you can set up an alert for warehouse deals or whether they can be tracked ... but once you know what you want, that would keep them on the radar.

Absence of 'free' returns on Amazon (apart from some shoes) is annoying versus the long running deal with paypal where you can get so many free returns a year,
but afaik you cannot pay amazon with paypal (I suppose paypal finance this from ebay commisions ?)

You sort of can if you use camelcamelcamel to track prices. You can put your desired price if "used", and they will notify you when ones meets the price criteria. Warehouse deals fall under used.

I've bought lots of electronic stuff from Warehouse deals, mostly below £50. If they don't work, I get a refund. No money lost, so a good deal for me. I wouldn't buy something £100+ though, because I wouldn't gamble on warranty being potentially an issue.

Soldato
Ordered a book yesterday through an Amazon fulfillment seller. Described as new and turns up with tatty covers and marked pages.

Already requested a refund but you would hope that Amazon would do some sort of quality control when they are the ones fulfilling the order.

Soldato
Supply us with the item we have purchased and which they have contractually agreed to supply! They had others in stock in the warehouse at the time (and still do), so offering just a refund in the case of the changing mats is a breach of consumer law. The Medela bottles is a case of them being lazy and not offering us a replacement.

Most of the interactions I've had with Amazon CS have been very sub-standard recently, and Prime delivery is getting worse and worse as time goes on..so much so that I'm trying my best to purchase elsewhere were possible.

That is pretty hilarious. Why do people have this sense of entitlement? You said the thing you ordered was VERY cheap compared to standard price. There was a clear mixup and they gave you your money back.

Rather than just accept that you lost NOTHING, you go down this pathetic route of crying about not getting your item.

I bought some goggles from amazon warehouse last week, they were advertised as having the "chromapop" lenses, which I know are expensive. However the price didn't reflect that so I took a gamble. The item turned up "as new" but didn't have the chromapop lens (the packaging even said clear lens only) so I contacted amazon, told them the issue and they gave me 20% off the price I paid or offered a full refund. I don't know what planet you live on, but being offered your money back is acceptable where I am from.

Soldato
OP
@TEOTD my ware house deal did not have the 1" mark 'Used acceptable' they promised, and seemed as new, afaiks.

I am convinced that the Amazon logistics guy who left if by the bins did not even ring the bell, and just put the card straight through the letter-box,
which I heard closing, and ran out to say "Hello ?" and note down the reg plate

43821141902_fc4243967f_h.jpg

Soldato
Some good deals to be had. If you check at around 3am you can bag some G-sync monitors for circa three hundred notes. You have to be really quick though as auto click bots take them.

Soldato
The only thing I bought off warehouse was an Xperia Z3 which was beyond broken as the battery had managed to swell which not only meant the overcharge protection was clearly broken but it also warped the case so it was pretty much worthless even if the battery had been replaced

No idea how that got through their QA as condition - excellent but it put me off buying the used stuff for good

Associate
The warehouse deals I've bought, as a whole have been great, like new.

I've only had one issue with a Rockshox Reverb, clearly used and abused, but marked as like new (chancer, doing the new for old switch, i suspect). Support resolved the issue quickly.

Back
Top Bottom