Dashcams!

Soldato
Right, I have a DrivePro 200 at current but it's just sat in a drawer (I pulled it out of a car I wrote off). Do I buy a replacement mount and power etc or is there something much better on the market for <£150?

I was nearly attacked today over road rage so want something again...

Underboss
Right, I have a DrivePro 200 at current but it's just sat in a drawer (I pulled it out of a car I wrote off). Do I buy a replacement mount and power etc or is there something much better on the market for <£150?

I was nearly attacked today over road rage so want something again...

depends on how much it will set you back for what you need for it

Soldato
I promised an update on the OBD power cable I purchased. It's the Rearmaster OBD Powercable for Dash Camera. And it's worked perfectly so far. I left my car - a Skoda Yeti - for a week with the dashcam plugged in and the battery was fine. My only wish is that it had pass-through capability.

My dashcam is an Aukey DR02 and here are a couple of snapshots for your delectation.

Front:

zN1MNV3.png

Rear:

0eSpFO2.png

Soldato
Sorry if this has been asked before in this thread (about to go off and read it all) but is there a way to secure / encrypt footage so that only yourself can view it back at a later date? i.e. Not able to view the footage back via the camera or by taking the SD card out and attempting to pull date off.

I'm just thinking about what would happen if you had an accident, policeman sees camera and nabs it. Are you obliged to provide said footage? Are they at liberty to take the camera and/or attempt to review footage?
99% of the time you would want them to be able to see it, but I'm sure there are times where you might not immediately want to give away footage that could incriminate yourself say.

Cheers

Caporegime
Are there any dashcams at all that continue recording for a decent amount of time (I'm talking days rather than hours) whilst the vehicle is off?

Nothing has a battery that big, you'd need to find a power bank like the Cellink Battery B Battery Pack or use a permanent feed connected via a battery guard to stop it from fully draining the car battery.

Caporegime
Has anyone on here ever submitted dash cam evidence to the police?

I'm just curious about one thing, suppose you have one of these things on your car and you get involved in an accident that was caused by someone else who then tries to make a false claim/insurance fraud or capture a crime (London moped gangs etc..) and you then report it to the police - do hand over a copy of the relevant segment or file for that journey do they want the SD card that was in the camera?

I mean if that were the case and on say a previous journey (presumably saved as a separate file) you'd been speeding, say you did 37 in a 30 just before it changed to national speed limit or something along those lines - I guess you could potentially incriminate yourself. Not to mention you'd have several hours worth of private conversations with whomever you were in the car with. Much less of an issue if only the relevant file needs to be copied and sent (or even the relevant section of video from that file).

Soldato
I have submitted a single file, 3 mins long which is what most dash cams record (they don’t record 30minute files, they’re really small).

They didn’t ask for more footage. I put it on a usb stick when they came to the house and they didn’t give me it back, so don’t give them a good usb stick!

It went to court and the driver got 6points and a rather large fine, mainly because they denied it was them driving and they didn’t bother responding to letters and didn’t show up in court.

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a half decent dashcam, around £50 or so. Or is that too little to get anything worthwhile.
Cheers

YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera. From the rainforest, £39.99

If you stick it on the rear you can use it as a reversing camera by watching it live via the android app.
Quality is pretty good as a front facing camera, I use a 128GB card in mine.

Soldato
YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera. From the rainforest, £39.99

If you stick it on the rear you can use it as a reversing camera by watching it live via the android app.
Quality is pretty good as a front facing camera, I use a 128GB card in mine.
Cheers mate, it's for my dad to use in his van. So only need it forward facing. Will get it ordered.

Back
Top Bottom