BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Ah thank you. I tried that before posting here but it wasn't working.

Thanks for providing the info.

Edit - just home and tried again. Still doesn't work. I put my registration in and it finds my car but nothing listed underneath.

Last edited:
Soldato
Headlight washers seem to have stopped working in my 135i, is there an easy fix like a fuse or is it likely to be a dodgy pump?
I'm going to hazard a guess that you've been using ready mixed screen wash from your local garage / Halfords, etc. This is the cause. Modern BMWs seem particularly fussy about the screenwash you use and the filters block.

I only use BMW's own screenwash concentrate. I bought 20L of it over 3 years ago for £56 from my local dealer and I've still got about 1/3rd left! Pretty good value I reckon and I've not once had issues with blocked washers.

In my previous 320d (company car) I used to use any old ready mixed rubbish and the jets got blocked about 10 times in 4 years. As it was a company car I didn't care overly about costs and just threw it at BMW to fix it. The company picked up any resulting charges.

Soldato
Just did a quick quote on the BMW Service site:

Engine oil - £285 (with microfilter) or £437 (microfilter/air filter/fuel filter)
Brake fluid - £51
Vehicle check - £44 or free if at the end of warranty

You can check the details yourself:

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/
I'm glad mine has a service pack. I called the dealer to try to book a service a few thousand miles early but they would only service it within the service pack if it was <1000 miles to due. I asked what the price was for the service if I were to pay.

£854

I LOL'd. M tax!

Soldato
I'm going to hazard a guess that you've been using ready mixed screen wash from your local garage / Halfords, etc. This is the cause. Modern BMWs seem particularly fussy about the screenwash you use and the filters block.

I only use BMW's own screenwash concentrate. I bought 20L of it over 3 years ago for £56 from my local dealer and I've still got about 1/3rd left! Pretty good value I reckon and I've not once had issues with blocked washers.

In my previous 320d (company car) I used to use any old ready mixed rubbish and the jets got blocked about 10 times in 4 years. As it was a company car I didn't care overly about costs and just threw it at BMW to fix it. The company picked up any resulting charges.
I’ve used the bmw stuff exclusively since I bought it in December, did the same as you and bought some when I got the car. It’s still under warranty so will probably just book it in and let them have a poke about.

Man of Honour
I think really need to scratch my V10 M5 itch!

Has anyone here driven both a Jaguar XFR and E60 M5 to be able to compare them?

I sold the XFR last year (no particular reason) and picked up a mega mileage well kitted E60 535d. It was meant to be temporary but I actually really like the E60!

Cheers,
Mal

Permabanned
The XFR is a bit more boat-like. The engine is fantastic though, the low-down torque on it is surprising... I just don't like the rest of the package... found the XKR a much better package... but doesn't have the practicality of a saloon, which I assume you're looking for.

The M5 has better handling characteristics, comfier seats (for me) and the V10 is sublime... the noise from it is addictive. The SMG box is great when you're pressing on, but not amazing when you're bimbling in traffic.

If you're careful with your right foot, the Jag will reward it with reasonable fuel economy (for the type of engine and car)... the M5 will just be bad fuel economy all the time... if you're having fun with them, they'll be similar fuel figures. I averaged 16.7mpg in my XKR.

Associate
Hi guys, ive been offered an f30 316d se at a decent price, I know its the lowest powered diesel model they do but also been reading that its basically the same block as the 318d and 320d. What I can't find out is what else is different between the models, I would presume the 320d has bigger injectors, turbo, maybe intercooler? are the clutch or flywheel different?

I was hoping that I could get the 316d and remap for atleast 160 + bhp, it would be nice to know how different it is to its bigger brothers so I'd feel better about running it at a higher power output.

Permabanned
Better that a 2008 Kia, sure... but double check if the price is really that good... I can't imagine a 320d is all that much more expensive... but the 320d is a noticeable improvement over the 316 and 318.

I had a 318d rental and on long 80-90mph motorway cruises through Europe, I found it to get worse fuel economy than my much older 320d.

If you're happy sitting at 60-65mph on the motorway, then it might be worthwhile.

Associate
its 2012 model, only 2 owners one of which is my friend, its done 108,000 miles and hes offered it to me for £5000 bodywork and interior are average to good - some marks but nothing major.

Back
Top Bottom