BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
it is owned by a friend for the past 3 years, do you think its worth a shot?

I mean at that price if I didn't like it I could sell it on in 6 months time for similar money?

He says it has full bmw service history

Associate
You seem to want someone to say "yes", but I think you've already made your mind up.
Just wanted some opinions from people who know more about the car that me,

And my original question was more about how much the engine and drive train were like the 318 and 320.

My mind is not totally made up if I'm honest, I am tempted but want to check everything out about the car first.

Man of Honour
it is owned by a friend for the past 3 years, do you think its worth a shot?

I mean at that price if I didn't like it I could sell it on in 6 months time for similar money?

He says it has full bmw service history

Why does he want to sell it to you for only 5k?

Permabanned
Just wanted some opinions from people who know more about the car that me,

And my original question was more about how much the engine and drive train were like the 318 and 320.

My mind is not totally made up if I'm honest, I am tempted but want to check everything out about the car first.

There are similarities... but don't expect similar performance... as I mentioned, the restrictions in place on the engine for the 316/318 tend to lend themselves more towards city driving. Yet it's still a saloon, which you'd expect more for out of town runs, it's not a city car.

It sounds like a good price if it's in reasonable condition... I imagine it's the similar price he's been offered by we buy any car.

If my choice was Kia or BMW 316d, I'd still take the BMW... but if you're keen on a new car and are happy to do a bit of searching, I'd be looking for the 320d at least.

If it's in good nick and you don't want to spend the extra for the 320d... then you could do a lot worse. Be sure to check for maintenance history and any known issues, as you would for any used car.

Permabanned
But it's worth more than 5k..

Quick look on auto-trader suggests £7-8k retail.

I suspect WBAC would offer around £5k.

Quick hassle-free sale & offering a good car to a friend for a good price can help with offers like this from time to time.

... just check it isn't on the verge of needing some expensive work.

I'm selling my 530d to a mate for £5k.

Caporegime
I think really need to scratch my V10 M5 itch!

Has anyone here driven both a Jaguar XFR and E60 M5 to be able to compare them?

I sold the XFR last year (no particular reason) and picked up a mega mileage well kitted E60 535d. It was meant to be temporary but I actually really like the E60!

Cheers,
Mal
Family friend replaced an 07 plate e60 M5 (owner from new) with an XFR, he found it better on fuel but lacking the edge of the M5, the M5 was fragile - his was under BMW’s extended warranty - it had a few gearbox issues and the bottom end of the engine rebuilt at huge expense to BMW.

He’s since sold the XFR and now gone back after a brief - curtailed by a heavy rear end accident - fling with an f10 M5,he now has one of the last e61 (Touring) M5’s built, it’s been faultless compared to his earlier e60 although he’s still paying for BMW’s warranty just in case....

Never drove his XFR but have the e61 , it is quite something on the open road but with fuel economy my 44ton HGV can better (!) it often throws gearbox warning lights after a hard run but with no faults found later, it’s sound is addictive as said and the performance for a dog carrier is quite something!

Good low mileage ones will go up in value, high mile / abused ones will hit your pocket - hard.

If you’ve got the itch (and deep pockets) then the like of these things we won’t see again in this eco world we live in, go for it so long as your eyes and wallet are wide open!

Soldato
Daft question of the day - M135i is due its first MOT this month, any reason not to book it into BMW directly? MOT Protect and iDrive showing the "vehicle inspection" completed by BMW rather than 00000 for an independent MOT garage are the two main reasons for me.

Soldato
Daft question of the day - M135i is due its first MOT this month, any reason not to book it into BMW directly? MOT Protect and iDrive showing the "vehicle inspection" completed by BMW rather than 00000 for an independent MOT garage are the two main reasons for me.

No reason not to if you have MOT Protect. What does MOT Protect cover?

EDIT: Just found it myself

"All items will be covered with the exception of the windscreen, wheels, tyres and items replaced as part of routine servicing (e.g. brake disks and pads) modified and/or non BMW components."

Back
Top Bottom