Road Cycling

Soldato
Just as a side, I'd class myself as in 'OK' shape for a none racing amateur given the time I have available and wince at some of the tour riders data. I managed to find a recent training ride of greipel that was very similar to my own. Mileage was within about 2-3, climbing was within 100-200ft and average speed was very similar at around 20mph. The difference was that I was over 150bpm average and he was under 100bpm, it's almost laughable.

But I doubt you train for 20+ hours a week (or whatever), and you probably hold down a full time job. Average speed of ~20mph isn’t to be sniffed at, even if you were at 150bpm. Almost everyone is going to come up short when compared with elite athletes!

Would be great to have the opportunity to train full time to see what was possible.

Soldato
If only we could all go full time!

Just riding your bike more helps a lot.

I used to do about 1500-1900 miles per year including commuting.

Last year I was at 4500 miles and felt better for it, already at 3500 mikes for this year so hope to be closer to 5500 miles come winter.

Associate
Still in the shop mate, 8 years in June just gone :|

I worked Mon - Fri to get the Saturday off and it was a ****** day after all that sunshine we had. Working this Saturday so may well meet the Royal Albert guys on Sunday at Larkhall and do the Douglas with them for the miles.

Ah right, cool. Aye, bit of a shame after the great weather we've had, but still it's been some summer so far. Glad to see you're kicking *** though.

If only we could all go full time!

Just riding your bike more helps a lot.

I used to do about 1500-1900 miles per year including commuting.

Last year I was at 4500 miles and felt better for it, already at 3500 mikes for this year so hope to be closer to 5500 miles come winter.

Yeah, that time i could ride ok a couple of years ago I actually did less organised intervals and stuff. I just did a lot more commuting and then made sure all the group rides i was doing were hard ones - bundy/fast douglas bunch/southside/the odd TT etc.

And i can confirm the opposite is also true. I've done about 200 miles total this year and i can barely cycle out of my street these days before i need to sit up and have a wee break. :o

Soldato
Had my first group ride last night
Well done, see if they do some faster 'newbie' kinda rides, if you want to get into club riding? I'd highly recommend it! :)

Even when not at peak fitness I can hit 1700-1800w peak when hammering away, but it's like a nano second and then death occurs :D I'd love to build that and be able to manage the likes of an average sprinter. Although I've seen some of the 1km sprinting races on Zwift too and jesus their sustained power is mad. I need to train like hell to even be able to not be 5min behind haha
Ha, not talking about peak power but probably 'sprint' power, which on Zwift is probably more accurately 10s or 15s at the end of a wind up into a race finish. I probably top out at 800/900W but that would be after the 20-30s sustained power (400-500W). I can kick at around the same 1700/1800W (and have even seen 2000W) but it's not something I can peak at through sustained power.

Thanks! She's doing my head in more than the kids. I'm exhausted haha her lack of control in the house, coupled with her cabin fever, the fact she's given up smoking and is hormonal is driving her, and me, insane.
Wow that's a lethal combination! Her mobility will only get better but she has to rest to get there - convincing them to rest is one of the hardest things! We've had one of those mornings this morning - both knackered (little ones first 'full' week at nursery - tues, weds, thurs), so much to do in the evenings we're not getting to bed until 10.30/11pm and then she's waking up at 5.30 for some reason when she/we could sleep until 6am. This morning peaked at everyone about ready, then the baby falls over the dog, dust him off and then the dog makes a mad dash for the garden (cat on wall) and treads on the baby = cue the world ending, again. Around 6 hours sleep I could normally deal with, but the extra strain of nursery duties has taken it's toll this week! Still no nursery tomorrow so much easier. Coming in to work shouldn't really feel like the 'easy' bit of the day should it?! :rolleyes:

Yea, on the MTB. I use the wife's Grand Canyon AL as it's metal not carbon. Tuesdays are worst, boy has sports so 2 school bags, 4yr olds school bag and her at 16kg and him at 35kg?! They crap must be another 10kg with his bags, it's mega up my long sloped drive. Have to lean over the front to stop it flipping :D headwinds are a killer
That's an insane amount of weight! I'm just thankful our commute is relatively flat but think it will only be a matter of time until I convince her we need a Weehoo iGo. :cool:

Soldato
I am sure pro guys aren’t putting down much more than 1500-1600 but won’t be released for sure & they can hold it longer. Look at the sprint data we have from the TDF, peaks of 1200-1400 with 30 second averages of 1000-1100 was usual.

2000w I would put down to trainer error.
Not disputing that, at the end of the day the big peaks (kicks) I've generally seen on Zwift are NOT in the ride data uploaded/sync to Strava - there's obviously some smoothing in place!

Not big sprinters but here's a couple of finishes from Jon Mould: 600W over a minute, with a build, ease and then sustained 1000W. 500W over 1min 20s, a surge, then 3 kicks of 1000W. He's very much a crit kinda finisher. Someone like Harry Tanfield is more sustained power: 430W over 2.5 mins with 2* 1000W kicks (after spending 80k in the break, then a 2up final). 500W over 1 min with 4 surges/kicks of 1000-1300W. TDY Stage 1 win, 1.5 min at 470W with 1200W finish. They're not huge numbers, equally they're not huge bunch sprints of stage races. Most of them are more crit/circuit based races where they'll be contesting the finish from a small-ish select group.

I've chosen those two (rather than some of the dedicated sprinters I have) because they generally have data fields not stripped from their rides.

Counter - a fast twitch muscle effort such as a sprint; fatigue wouldn’t reduce the peak power value produced greatly, only the sustained power output over that time period.

Therefore, the 2000w guys are full of **** especially at the end of a Zwift race.
Haha, at the end of the day it's only data - something to measure and compare, no matter how inaccurate the measurements or how unpractical measuring different riders with different setups and different measurement tools (trainers/PWMs) is. ;)

Yup, really sounds like Strava have started to overstep themselves trying to fleece money from the device vendor side as well as the user side. Greedy bastids! ;) :rolleyes:

Chariot commuting for this week is complete, riding solo today so able to stretch and spin the legs out. Feels better but I'm far more fatigued than I thought I would be... Combination of lack of riding recently along with the increase of chariot weight. Really need to get myself on Zwift or out this weekend, as with the other half back at work she's now working 3 in 4 saturday mornings so me getting out on group rides is going to get scarce again. Bummer! Not that I was able to get out much before! :(

Soldato
All relative and relate to pedal efficiency. Many track and BMX riders supposedly do 'no-chain' drills to hone this, the BMX guys especially. @merlin or others who ride track may provide some better insight.

I know for me that up to 110/120 rpm things are ok but once at that speed (or higher) for more than 5/10s my pedal stroke rapidly turns so choppy I rapidly lose effiency, control and technique. I'll regularly ride at 95/100rpm when putting efforts in on the road, telling myself I'm keeping on top of the gear and am able to carry speed on rolling terrain much more efficently. An easier/general flat ride my average is in the 80/90rpm kinda ballpark, something with several paced/stood climbs maybe even less.

TCRN. Wow the guys have had to deal with some tough hot conditions, but some incredible riding, James Hayden clearly in the lead (just entering Poland) if he can keep it up.

Zwift friend Derek has abandoned (didn't make it out of Germany with a knee injury). My Local guy is into his day 5 in Austria:
Day 1 : 300 miles, 13,500ft climbing, 18 hours.
Day 2 : 200 miles, 6,800ft climbing, 12 hours.
Day 3 : 200 miles, 10,500ft climbing, 14 hours.
Day 4 : 150 miles, 13,000ft climbing, 13 hours.

Have a great weekend all! :cool:

Soldato
Over 130rpm sounds almost too high. Feels silly to me above about 120. Clearly doing it wrong :(

Clearly :p

Track sprinters, whilst of course riding a fixed gear don't have much choice, can hit in excess of 200rpm. Though you wouldn't see that on the track, nor in a road race because out of the saddle not only is it probably impossible but more likely sub-optimal with regards to winning, to be in a gear you can spin that fast.

Soldato
For fixed wheel training we do cadence drills at around 140 ish and try to hold in 3s 5s 10s spells, but we only ever do them towards the end of a training session when we have tired legs, its too easy otherwise.

Different riders will have different natural cadence abilities, younger riders tend to have no choice but to spin because of BC gearing restrictions, but it's actually for their own good anyway - British Cycling coaches encourage cadence first power later, plus it's less strain on knees etc.

Generally I'm a bit of a spinner, if j get too muscular my reserves dry up fast. I sit on top of gears, I only push when I need to.

Horses for courses n all that.

One thing I will say is that if you are a bigger muscular heavier rider and get wobbly at a high cadence then sometimes you can fix that by strengthening your core and/or pelvic muscle groups. Sucking in your lower abdomen and pushing your ass down into to saddle can help stabilise you.

Soldato
I’m sure someone on here had a GEO calculator they linked to or had.

Wanting to know how changing stem and stem angle changes my dimensions and by how much!

Soldato
Hi guys, quick Q regarding valve extenders.
As per a recommendation earlier in the thread, my Chinese carbon wheelset arrived... I have fitted Continental valve extenders to the tubes but they're not threaded on the stem so they don't have a locking nut. Looks like they might rattle like a right bugger.
Any tips?

PS, don't worry about the length of the valve stem on the front... I have some shorter ones en route :D

0D86WEp.jpg

uv

uv

Soldato
I fixed that issue by putting some electrical tape on the valves - you'll need to take the tubes out though to tape where they sit on the rim.

Soldato
Cut a drinking straw down and then put a cut in it and slot it over the valve, tiny blob of super glue holds it in place.

Looks a little tidier than electrical tape but not as simple fix!

Soldato
Chains...

I just checked mine and it seems I need to replace it before the cassette takes on damage.
The current chain is the standard one the bike came with, KMC X11L, which has lasted a good 3885 miles...

My question is should i stick another KMC on or go the Shimano route (quick link Ultegra)?

Back
Top Bottom