• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1180 PCB breakdown

Soldato
If it is the 1180 that's 15% on the 1080ti. Then they will bring out a 1180ti with more performance. So if your going for a 980ti to the newest that's a good jump

Hello mate. Still playing dying Light? If you’ve got the DLC I’d be right up for a Harran Prison run on Monday if you can spare time from Dad duties?

On topic; Assuming it’s 15% more powerful than the 1080ti (and that’s quite the assumption) the new ti will undoubtedly be an absolute monster. I’ll be interested in what difference GDDR6 makes, but honestly I don’t think it’ll be that significant unless you get into heavy duty 4K games, or newer titles that really leverage it. I think it’s more of a natural progression thing.

Frankly, I don’t think the 1180ti is going to be the 4K killer we’d all hoped for. I’m sure we’ll finally have a geforce card that will guarantee more than 60fps on any title but I don’t think it’s going to take full advantage of the new 4K high refresh rate monitors ie. 100Hz+ on all titles.

I’m sure I’ll need the ol’ flame retardant jacket but the 1080ti isn’t a true 4K 60hz card imo. It almost is, but it can’t get 60Hz plus on any title at ultra, although turning down a few settings probably does it. There’s plenty of benchmarks out there that demonstrate this.

I think what this generation will bring is real incentive for the mid/lower tier gamers to move to high refresh rate 1440p+ monitors, with a tidy profit for g-sync lust and a move towards even more mainstream 4K pc gaming. Helped by the PS4 Pro and the Xbone whatever it’s called making 4K the new buzzword.

It’s the next generation, in my opinion, that will really transform gaming. Especially with the newer technologies maturing and the push to better monitors in the mainstream from this upcoming one. AMD will hopefully have something better in the market by then, encouraging Nvidia to really push the envelope.

Just my tuppence mind. It’s all speculation until the cards launch. I’ll be getting the new ti regardless with the best 4K monitor at that time (FALD, HDR etc), knowing that subsequent generations will really make it shine. My 980 is starting to show its age now I’ve cleared out a lot of older titles in my list of shame, even at 1200p.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hello mate. Still playing dying Light? If you’ve got the DLC I’d be right up for a Harran Prison run on Monday if you can spare time from Dad duties?

On topic; Assuming it’s 15% more powerful than the 1080ti (and that’s quite the assumption) the new ti will undoubtedly be an absolute monster. I’ll be interested in what difference GDDR6 makes, but honestly I don’t think it’ll be that significant unless you get into heavy duty 4K games, or newer titles that really leverage it. I think it’s more of a natural progression thing.

Frankly, I don’t think the 1180ti is going to be the 4K killer we’d all hoped for. I’m sure we’ll finally have a geforce card that will guarantee more than 60fps on any title but I don’t think it’s going to take full advantage of the new 4K high refresh rate monitors ie. 100Hz+ on all titles.

I’m sure I’ll need the ol’ flame retardant jacket but the 1080ti isn’t a true 4K 60hz card imo. It almost is, but it can’t get 60Hz plus on any title at ultra, although turning down a few settings probably does it. There’s plenty of benchmarks out there that demonstrate this.

I think what this generation will bring is real incentive for the mid/lower tier gamers to move to high refresh rate 1440p+ monitors, with a tidy profit for g-sync lust and a move towards even more mainstream 4K pc gaming. Helped by the PS4 Pro and the Xbone whatever it’s called making 4K the new buzzword.

It’s the next generation, in my opinion, that will really transform gaming. Especially with the newer technologies maturing and the push to better monitors in the mainstream from this upcoming one. AMD will hopefully have something better in the market by then, encouraging Nvidia to really push the envelope.

Just my tuppence mind. It’s all speculation until the cards launch. I’ll be getting the new ti regardless with the best 4K monitor at that time (FALD, HDR etc), knowing that subsequent generations will really make it shine. My 980 is starting to show its age now I’ve cleared out a lot of older titles in my list of shame, even at 1200p.

I think people are expecting way too much from any new cards.

We already know what the performance of the full fat 12nm card is going to be like as it will be from the same family as the Titan V. This in turn means that a cut down 1180 Ti is not going to be anything special and again the 1180 will be even less interesting.

My guess is the 1180 will struggle to beat the better 1080 Ti cards by more than 5% or 10%. Having said that it is all NVidia need to do, replace the old 1080 Ti with a slightly faster and slightly cheaper newer card (the 1180).

The real benefit will be the XX60 and possibly XX70 cards where good increases could be found. I also don't think NVidia will charge silly prices for the mid range cards as yields on the chips should be quite good as they will be quite small in size without DP and Tensor cores.

Associate

We already know what the performance of the full fat 12nm card is going to be like as it will be from the same family as the Titan V. This in turn means that a cut down 1180 Ti is not going to be anything special and again the 1180 will be even less interesting.

My guess is the 1180 will struggle to beat the better 1080 Ti cards by more than 5% or 10%. Having said that it is all NVidia need to do, replace the old 1080 Ti with a slightly faster and slightly cheaper newer card (the 1180).

The real benefit will be the XX60 and possibly XX70 cards where good increases could be found. I also don't think NVidia will charge silly prices for the mid range cards as yields on the chips should be quite good as they will be quite small in size without DP and Tensor cores.

this is my thoughts 100%. If nvdia hadn't released the Titan V I would be a lot more excited but I cant see them releasing a mainstream card so close with better performance.
I wouldn't say its not going to happen. Who knows the new cards might have the same specs as the titan V (minus the HBM and cut down tensor cores) and be 2ghz base with 2.3ghz boost and over clocks of 2.5ghz - 2.6ghz... but I doubt that will happen

Soldato
I expect it will be 15% - 20% quicker then the 1080Ti and in turn 10% or so above the Titan Xp . Nvidia is clever enough to know there are those who will pick up the best (bar Titan V which was a steep jump) so by putting new card above a Titan Xp, it will mean those who have the Titan Xp will have an excuse to upgrade, but have performance under a Titan V, so those with very deep pockets can still buy a card at an even higher premium.

Soldato

Yep, I’d agree with all of this. And it’s specifically why I think 1440p high refresh is going to be more mainstream.

I think the only time we’ll see a big leap forward is if AMD is offering stiff competition; the CPU market looks very different than it did a few years ago because of this.

Soldato
I expect it will be 15% - 20% quicker then the 1080Ti and in turn 10% or so above the Titan Xp . Nvidia is clever enough to know there are those who will pick up the best (bar Titan V which was a steep jump) so by putting new card above a Titan Xp, it will mean those who have the Titan Xp will have an excuse to upgrade, but have performance under a Titan V, so those with very deep pockets can still buy a card at an even higher premium.

I cannot see Titan Xp owners upgrading to a 1180. They’ll wait for the next sensible Titan for the most part.

Soldato
I cannot see Titan Xp owners upgrading to a 1180. They’ll wait for the next sensible Titan for the most part.

For the most part, but there will most definitely be some that do. Seen plenty of people who did upgrade however as they simply want the best, (beside you did not buy the Titan Xp as it was the sensible option because at release it had abysmal price to performance vs the 1080Ti which could be had at MSRP prior to mining craze) . Titan V is a step too high for some price wise, so position the next 1180 or whatever it is called few higher then the Titan Xp and I guarantee their will be those who pick it up, even when owning the Xp. Personally to me makes sense to have the 1180 few % higher then it effectively means aside from the Titan V, which is Volta anyways, the next Gen mid range will perform slightly better then the best card of prior gen (pascal) like its always been really (aside from dual cards), and will only get better as time goes on vs older stuff.

Back
Top Bottom