At around £20k. What Car would you?

Associate
Hi Guys,

I am starting a new job which requires a fair bit of travelling in/out/around Kent, Surrey, Essex and London and I really need a very COMFORTABLE car so that I don't get to work tired.

I recently drove a friend's lexus CT 200h and it was surprisingly comfortable that my back felt better seating in the car than getting out. Since I test drove this car, I have started looking at the Lexus GS 450h.

I wonder if I should stick to the Lexus CT200h for its comfort and ECONOMY? Also, would I be better going for an E class or a BMW 5 series? Are these cars as comfortable and is there a massive difference in running cost?

Finally, I want something reliable with no surprises after spending around or under £20k?

What do you all thing? Arguments for and against? Any other alternatives that you have driven and felt refreshed when you come out?

NB: I do not have a lot of money or anything. I just know I'll be spending a lot of time in the car and I do not want to be sleeping all weekend recovering from driving/traffic etc

Thank you all in advance.

Soldato
530d. Surely one of, if not the best car for that money. If you want something more comfortable, then yeah, the big Lexus (LS), 7 series / S-Class / A8. But these could come with large bills (probably not so much the Lexus). And might not be the easiest cars to park being that they are road ships...

If you want something depreciation proof, but not necessarily the most comfortable, you could get a 996 Porsche 911, lol.

Soldato
I would first think about what kind of car you would like. Being tall I find taller cars along the lines of SUV’s more comfortable for long distance driving as I don’t feel like I am trapped in a metal box as much like I would in lower cars.

Probably best to test drive a few different types to see what you prefer. I only found out my preference by accident when I had a golf plus as a courtesy car, the driving position and feeling of space felt much better.

Associate
What are you driving at the moment OP?

I'd second a Volvo at this price point, if comfort is top of your list, I've not found anything as good at that price.

Associate
OP
M5 /thread

Whaaat? Did I post in the wrong place? Apologies if so!

Lexus will be more reliable than the Germans for sure.

Did you look into IS ? GS450 is a big car...
I considered it. I just was not sure if it will be as comfortable?

530d. Surely one of, if not the best car for that money. If you want something more comfortable, then yeah, the big Lexus (LS), 7 series / S-Class / A8. But these could come with large bills (probably not so much the Lexus). And might not be the easiest cars to park being that they are road ships...

If you want something depreciation proof, but not necessarily the most comfortable, you could get a 996 Porsche 911, lol.

I originally fell in love with the LS600h but then parking and petrol bills put me off. However, I might still look into this in the future. I do travel to see other family members across the country...generally 2 to 3 hours drive but looking to be doing more of those with a super comfortable and enjoyable drive. Also, large bills not really my thing lol

All cars depreciate, don't they? The Porsche sounds fast but that much money and not enough comfort?

Also, not a huge diesel fan for some reasons...

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
I would first think about what kind of car you would like. Being tall I find taller cars along the lines of SUV’s more comfortable for long distance driving as I don’t feel like I am trapped in a metal box as much like I would in lower cars.

Probably best to test drive a few different types to see what you prefer. I only found out my preference by accident when I had a golf plus as a courtesy car, the driving position and feeling of space felt much better.

For me, I am thinking more along the lines of an executive saloon. I thought those are the most comfy cars?

100% this.

I personally think its an unbeatable blend of all round ability. I can't think of much else that does so much so well.

Get a good facelift car for £20k now.

Ability or comfort? How comfortable is it over a long or short period? How reliable?

Associate
520d f10 was one of the comfiest cars I’ve had. Not to bad running costs especially if you make sure to get a service pack in with the deal you’d be laughing! Had one for 2 years no problems at all

Associate
I love my Lexus GS450h. My PCP agreement comes to an end in 6 months and it is the first car I’ve considered keeping. It is the most comfortable car I’ve owned (my previous car was a MB E350cdi), fast (0-60 is 5.6 seconds) and going down to Milton Keynes from a Bolton I often manage 50mpg. Around town, I’m getting over 35mpg. Don’t worry about the CVT gearbox, once you adjust your driving style it is incredibly smooth.

Associate
OP
What are you driving at the moment OP?

I'd second a Volvo at this price point, if comfort is top of your list, I've not found anything as good at that price.

Are you saying a Volvo will beat Lexus in comfort? The quietness from the double glazing and all the different adjectives that people have used to describe these cars makes me think it is comfortable. What Volvo would you recommend? I have never really considered a Volvo.

I have a 2003 BMW 3 series at the moment. But it's hardly used and it's got 58k on the clock. This is generally fine for normal day to day. But the back support etc is so inadequate by today's standards and you definitely feel tired after a long drive.

Vauxhall astra elite. V comfy car. 15k a year old.

I have never looked at this car but I think I will. Some of the reviews does mention comfort.

Me neither, I hate diesels.

I love my 530d :(
How comfortable is it?

Soldato
How comfortable is it?
I have a 2011 F11, the estate version of the F10 and I spent over 7 hours in the drivers seat on Wednesday and when I finally parked up to go bowling I barely felt like I had been driving. The only thing I can compare it to is an Audi A3 but the BMW 5 Series is an extremely comfortable car.

Your best bet is to go test drive one.

Associate
Are you saying a Volvo will beat Lexus in comfort? The quietness from the double glazing and all the different adjectives that people have used to describe these cars makes me think it is comfortable. What Volvo would you recommend? I have never really considered a Volvo.

I have a 2003 BMW 3 series at the moment. But it's hardly used and it's got 58k on the clock. This is generally fine for normal day to day. But the back support etc is so inadequate by today's standards and you definitely feel tired after a long drive.

I'm saying for comfort I've never driven anything as comfortable (especially seat wise) as higher end Volvo's, I drive quite a variety of cars (normally hire cars) and they are amazing for comfort. I've only driven two Lexus cars (both short term rentals and in the US) and whilst I really liked them they weren't as comfortable IMHO. But you pay a price in handling and performance when you prioritise comfort (especially compared with a 530d being mentioned - they are excellent, but they blend performance with comfort). I'd defo go test drive the new V60 (the seats again are just amazing), it's out of your budget brand new but would give you a good idea of comfort levels for your price point, for me the 'XC' SUV types aren't quite as comfortable. I've never been in a long car journey to come out the other end 'refreshed' but the Volvo at least makes it less painful. My dad drives V90, and I have to say, even as a passenger, it's a really relaxing place to be, and new interiors Volvo are putty out are excellent. If you even start to want decent performance and handling though, I'd be all over a 5 series or similar.

Associate
OP
I love my Lexus GS450h. My PCP agreement comes to an end in 6 months and it is the first car I’ve considered keeping. It is the most comfortable car I’ve owned (my previous car was a MB E350cdi), fast (0-60 is 5.6 seconds) and going down to Milton Keynes from a Bolton I often manage 50mpg. Around town, I’m getting over 35mpg. Don’t worry about the CVT gearbox, once you adjust your driving style it is incredibly smooth.

Sounds like music to my ears. Any particular year to get or avoid? What trim? Is it really quiet? If you find it more comfortable than an E class and it is from your personal experience and not online reviews...I think you are echoing my thoughts. I know the big barges are more desirable but I'll like my car to be desirable but I want to feel fresh after a long drive. How do you find it on long journeys like Bolton to MK?

Back
Top Bottom