• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
I bet there is a forum thread from the mid 2000's when 1080p was coming through with identical discussion/debate to what we see here today.

make of that what you will.

Soldato
I bet there is a forum thread from the mid 2000's when 1080p was coming through with identical discussion/debate to what we see here today.

make of that what you will.
if you have always been a pc gamer then consider yourself lucky (for the most part i was ok as well, this only stung me with the dreamcast what with me being a speccy and amiga man back in the day)

but back in the day us in blighty the console gamers had to worry about pal vs ntsc resolution and refresh rate. there was only 1 winner in that war.... and it wasnt the superior one either :(

Associate
OP
Well I've seen some 1080 Tis go for £450-£475 on the bay not a bad price actually!! I've learnt I don't need the best so if I can get a 1080 Ti for £400 when these launch I think I'll bite and hold on till the next Ti comes

Soldato
Well I've seen some 1080 Tis go for £450-£475 on the bay not a bad price actually!! I've learnt I don't need the best so if I can get a 1080 Ti for £400 when these launch I think I'll bite and hold on till the next Ti comes

I’m very tempted myself. But if a more modern card can perform the same or better for the same price (I’m looking at you 1170) then I don’t think it’s worth it. Knowing NV they’ll want to shift old ti first, so the 1170 won’t be the better buy until they’ve exhausted all the old stock.

I’ll probably be sticking to my guns and getting the new ti and a beastly monitor.

Soldato
For me once the ball is rolling and they are out with lots of reviews, benchmarks and overclocking videos I think that will keep me interested enough to pass the time till the 3rd party cards come out. I MAY then go evga just incase the 1180+ is something worth having

Last edited:
Associate
Im pretty sure the FE cards are more likely to be the standard, non cherry picked silicon, as they are always beaten in performance by soon after AIBs

Soldato
They're not cherry-picked nor are they high spec PCBs. The Founders Edition cards are built by a firm named Flextronics and are normally the least over-engineered in terms of vregs when compared to AIB cards.

Soldato
Im pretty sure the FE cards are more likely to be the standard, non cherry picked silicon, as they are always beaten in performance by soon after AIBs

They are usually beaten due to the cooling solution. From what i have seen, under water the chips all perform pretty similar on the Nvidia side.

The founders editions tend to be cherry picked gpu's and high spec pcb's? If noise/heat turn out to be an issue then i might put it under water at a later date.

It's more AMD who have high a spec on there standard pcb.

The VRM power delivery circuitry on the reference RX 480 printed circuit board is beyond impressive. More so when compared to the GTX 1080’s 5+1 power phase design which simply pales in comparison. The RX 480’s on-board VRM – voltage regulator – on the high-side is capable of delivering 40 amps from each phase at 125c, for a total of 240 amps.

At room temperature each phase can deliver 66 amps for a total of 396 amps on the high-side and up to 600 amps on the low-side. The GTX 1080 Founder’s Edition voltage regulator can deliver 30 amps at 125c from each of its five phases, for a total of 150 amps on the low side, 246 amps less than the RX 480. At room temperature it goes up to 50 amps per phase for at total of 250 amps, 350 amps less than what the RX 480 VRMs can deliver at the same temperature on the low side. The GTX 1080 actually employs “doctor” mosfets which combine the high and low side into one IC. Hence why the PCB can get away with one mosfet per phase rather than needing two.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, its interesting you water cooled a FE card, good for science i guess. I would have thought anyone getting an FE would be doing so because its the shiney cool official looking one mind, so sticking a waterblock on it beats that purpose.

Soldato
Hmm, its interesting you water cooled a FE card, good for science i guess. I would have thought anyone getting an FE would be doing so because its the shiney cool official looking one mind, so sticking a waterblock on it beats that purpose.

I haven't but plenty on here have. I believe it's easier to get a water block for the standard PCB and they are available closer to launch as well.

Back
Top Bottom