• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Hmm, its interesting you water cooled a FE card, good for science i guess. I would have thought anyone getting an FE would be doing so because its the shiney cool official looking one mind, so sticking a waterblock on it beats that purpose.

On the contrary, watercooling a non-FE card makes the least sense, as you are paying more for the cooling solution and end up with virtually the same performance regardless. On top of that, sometimes the water blocks even cost more for the non-FE cards.

Soldato
Hmm, its interesting you water cooled a FE card, good for science i guess. I would have thought anyone getting an FE would be doing so because its the shiney cool official looking one mind, so sticking a waterblock on it beats that purpose.

Everybody who makes waterblocks will do so for reference PCBs. It's easier to put a reference card under water as a result. Now traditionally some of the mental custom designs like the Strix, FTW and Kingpin benefit from watercooling too and the bigger players like EK will also make blocks for them, but these days there doesn't seem to be a significant performance improvement between a reference board and a custom board when put under water. So you might as well save some money by getting a reference card like the FE with a reference block, instead of paying a premium for a custom cooler that you're not going to use.

Permabanned
Woot ?? Thats the best option You got good PCB on good components and basically DAY ONE EK waterblock .

Soldato
Well I've seen some 1080 Tis go for £450-£475 on the bay not a bad price actually!! I've learnt I don't need the best so if I can get a 1080 Ti for £400 when these launch I think I'll bite and hold on till the next Ti comes

Actually I have seen sold list of some 1080 Tis gone for £400-£450 and found GTX 1070 FE sold for £145 2 weeks ago, found many 1070s included MSI Gaming X sold for around £225.

Value of second hand Pascal cards will gone through same patterns as Maxwell did 2 years ago, I remembered saw lots of 980 Ti cards sold for £350 after GTX 1080 and 1070 launched, I sold my MSI Gaming GTX 970 for £180 with 2 years warranty about 2 weeks after bought MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 for about £450. I guess my 1070 with 1 year warranty left will be worth around £180 after GTX 2070 launch.

Soldato
On the contrary, watercooling a non-FE card makes the least sense, as you are paying more for the cooling solution and end up with virtually the same performance regardless. On top of that, sometimes the water blocks even cost more for the non-FE cards.

True that.
All Pascal cards have the same cap either at 2100 core (1080Ti) or 2190 (1080), and if someone is going to watercooling doesn't matter what he gets.

However, only custom GTX1080s made after Feb 2017, have the faster ram from the 1080Ti.
The FE is using the slower ram.

Associate
whats the differences in the GVxxx?
if you compare it to the pascal cards, the GP104 is used in 1080, 1070 and 1070ti the GP102 is used in the 1080ti, titan X (pascal) and titan Xp

The assumption is that the same will be true of the next generation, though Nvidia do juggle things around sometimes. But yeah, the smaller the number the bigger the chip is : 100 (quadro), 102 (xx80ti, titan), 104 (xx80, xx70), 106(xx60)

Man of Honour
lol, exactly. If folks are willing to wait then that's their prerogative. As long as folks with 1080Ti know they're likely in for a side grade, it's their money.

^This

I don't think gaming Volta or whatever NVidia are going to call it will be much of an upgrade over Pascal.

I don't use the Titan V much for gaming as the performance difference over Pascal is hardly noticeable and it is better to use the older watercooled cards.

Soldato
Tempted with a FE and putting a water block on it - are there any brands other than EVGA that have warranties that are friendly to this type of modification?

Gigabyte, rep stated they dont mind it- just dont damage/scratch anything as if card does fail- they can pull this up . evga can do the same . to be honest, any vendor that doesn't use warranty stickers you could get away with it

Back
Top Bottom