Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/07/qualcomm-teases-september-10th-smartwatch-event/

vMUxhRZ.jpg

Qualcomm doesn't make smartwatches (anymore), but it does make smartwatch chips. Almost all Wear OS devices for the last several years have run the aging Snapdragon Wear 2100. Rumors have swirled in recent months that Qualcomm would finally launch a modern successor, and September 10th might be the day.

We don't have much information about the event. Qualcomm is inviting press to attend the unveiling of something smartwatch-related. Qualcomm isn't likely to announce a watch, so that just leaves a new smartwatch system-on-a-chip (SoC). Earlier this year, Qualcomm rolled out the Wear 2500, which is intended for children's wearables.

The September 10th date certainly fits with a rumor from several months ago that a new wearable SoC would launch in the fall. That cannot come soon enough—the Wear 2100 was a little behind the times even when it debuted with its modified Snapdragon 400 design. A new chip could mean better performance and a sorely needed battery life upgrade for future wearables.

It's about time... hopefully that means the rumoured Pixel watches too. The 2100 didn't feel like an upgrade at all from the 400.

Soldato
I'm liking the look of the new Galaxy watch - seriously tempted to pick one up. I would pre-order but I go on holiday on the 7th and of course it would be delivered on the 7th so looks like I'll miss out on the bundled charger :/

Associate
Hoping to pick up a bargain from the release to be honest, in the hope others drop their price. Still torn between the Hauwai Watch 2 and the Gear S3. HW2 Classic has just come on deal for 1 hour 30 mins for £240..... tempting...

Caporegime
Why the hell is the galaxy watch 46mm only available in one colour???? And why a black bezel with silver casing.

I know it’s mental. The smaller, cheaper ones have better choices. Same with the strap choice. I think the 46mm is limited to 3 whereas the 42mm has a choice of 9

Back
Top Bottom