• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Serious question, is a vega 64 better than a 1080 in regards to everything? (performance/noise mainly)
I'm looking for a new card and not sure whether to hedge my bets on a vega 64 now.. simply because freesync is everywhere.

Depends the Vega card, Red Devil & Nitro+ are the best samples.
In the warm summer days of July I could hear the Vega 64 Nitro only when I had overclocked it on benching.
At the usually Turbo mode (1630 clock), it was using 276W maximum, which is adequate for the cooler not to be loud.
Then started experimenting with the different modes and manual overclocking and down volting. You will be surprised to know that the best solution on 90% of the games I play is on power save mode. Losing 10% avg fps (still 100fps at 2560x1440), but consumes 170-176W power. On that mode also games like EUIV, CK2 etc, are running at 60-70W while they are at cap fps (144hz freesync monitor I have set the cap from the drivers to 140).

I have quite a few big posts in the V64 owners discussion of my experience with the V64 Nitro and directly comparing it with my previous card the GTX1080Ti Xtreme.
Imho it worth to read them to get an idea. :)

Associate
Serious question, is a vega 64 better than a 1080 in regards to everything? (performance/noise mainly)
I'm looking for a new card and not sure whether to hedge my bets on a vega 64 now.. simply because freesync is everywhere.

If the price is similar then yes, ok its true that vega is expensive to produce and is late. But right now.... v56 and 64 are fine alternatives to the 1080.

Now this might upset a few nvidia sheep but.. yes its dam true, there drivers are better (yes they are) and while the power draw is a bit higher it can be dealt with some tweeks - heat is a non issue and thus Vega is fine.

Just because they dont reach 1080ti ... well they aint a fail.

Associate
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3305/rtx-titan

Just saw techpowerup added RTX TITAN to database, it used GT102 and GDDR6.

I suspiciously think the source adoredTV obtained is probably full of fake details, it no way hell RTX TITAN with GT102 chip and 11GB GDDR6 will cost $3K, it should cost less at $1K.

We will find out in 3 days.

Of course it's fake. The trademarks are real, but the chip data is just wrong. Chip names and Ram sizes don't make any sense. But people are so desperate for information, that they believe everything it seems.

Soldato
Of course it's fake. The trademarks are real, but the chip data is just wrong. Chip names and Ram sizes don't make any sense. But people are so desperate for information, that they believe everything it seems.

The chip names do actually make sense if you know the codenames of the past 6 generations of Nvidia graphics cards.

They won't use GTx0x for the naming becasue the second generation of the Tesla series used GT20x as the GPU names. So if the parts are called Turing, the TU10x is the only sensible naming scheme.

Associate
The chip names do actually make sense if you know the codenames of the past 6 generations of Nvidia graphics cards.

They won't use GTx0x for the naming becasue the second generation of the Tesla series used GT20x as the GPU names. So if the parts are called Turing, the TU10x is the only sensible naming scheme.

Nvidia always used a GX, it's not so likely that they change suddenly, especially as GV102 and GV104 are already known. More important that lineup has zero salvage chips. That makes no sense. Especially if you combine the speculated ram sizes with it. There will be one 256 Bit chip, One 192 Bit chip and one 128 Bit chip plus maybe salvage with different configuration. The speculated stuff just totally doesn't fit. Nothing more than bad fakes.

Don
More important that lineup has zero salvage chips. That makes no sense. Especially if you combine the speculated ram sizes with it. There will be one 256 Bit chip, One 192 Bit chip and one 128 Bit chip plus maybe salvage with different configuration. The speculated stuff just totally doesn't fit. Nothing more than bad fakes.

Agree - 224bit and 160bit don't make any sense unless they were salvage chips, which based on chip names seemingly aren't.
RTX2080 TU104 - 8GB GDDR6 = 256Bit
RTX2070 TU106 - 7GB GDDR6 = 224Bit?
GTX2060 TU116 - 5GB GDDR6 = 160Bit?
GTX2050 TU117 - 4GB GDDR5 = 128Bit

If 2070 was also a TU104 part, so salvaged then I could maybe see it.

Associate
Looks like my trusty ASUS GTX 970 STRIX DirectCU II OC is going to be used for a lot longer than i anticipated when i bought it 3 years ago. I just bought a 43" sony tv for use as a monitor and i was expecting to need a new gpu to go with it. I only really play wow nowadays and it plays great at 4k on the asus so i can afford to wait as long as it takes for a new gpu at a decent price.

Soldato
Nice to finally get some details being released.

I'll be buying the RTX2080 on day one. Should see a nice bump from my HD7850 :)

Probably going to do the same here, although I might hold off for a week or two to see if any teething problems arise. Question is, which of us will see the biggest performance gain? :p

Soldato
The PC market shunned AMD even when they were the sensible choice and better option in a lot of cases. Why should AMD concentrate on a market that for now is like ******* into the wind for them and a money hog. The Nvidia only buyers are going to get what they deserve. For the rich this won't be a problem but for those on normal wages they are going to get hit where it hurts. If AMD keep making strides on the cpu and soc side of things they may come back, by that time everyone might just be sick enough of Nvidia and there price hikes to look at the competition.

The PC market shunned AMD because the performance wasn't there. You don't buy a GPU based on hopes and prayers. Even when it was, there was often a tradeoff.

Back
Top Bottom