*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato
So we’ve just adopted a dog today. Say hello to Conker:

m7rnvc.jpg

He’s a 12 week old rescue from Dogs Trust Harefield. We know mum was a whippet but we have no idea what dad was. I’m thinking border collie?

It was his first day home today and he’s a tired pooch!

Soldato

He's an old tyme English bulldog born in July.
Good temperament and seems good with the kids although a little hyper with our 1 year old so when they're both on the floor we tend to have him on a lead just so we can make sure it doesn't get to ruff from either side.
Having fun with him chewing everything he's not allowed and not bothering with what he can have

Has anyone had issues with dogs that just don't want to walk? He will go out in the garden in crap weather but literally just sits down when we are walking him and the only way he will move is being dragged. The only time he has walked is with my mum and dad's two dogs but that was it.

Soldato
Pedro, my daughters Tibetan Terrier. First ine at 6 weeks the second one at 15 weeks..

crfKrAY.jpg

Coat is looking a bit rough in this one as he had spent the previous 20 minutes rolling around in the dry leaves. :)
eY4oiyt.jpg

Soldato
Has anyone had issues with dogs that just don't want to walk? He will go out in the garden in crap weather but literally just sits down when we are walking him and the only way he will move is being dragged. The only time he has walked is with my mum and dad's two dogs but that was it.

When my staff was a pup he wouldn't walk either. In the end I changed the lead and from a metal chain one to a nylon one and he started walking straight away. I know from the pics it looks like you already have a nylon one, but I also kept him on a lead whilst playing with younguns indoors, and maybe the dog saw this as a punishment and this is why he refused to walk.

Soldato
When my staff was a pup he wouldn't walk either. In the end I changed the lead and from a metal chain one to a nylon one and he started walking straight away. I know from the pics it looks like you already have a nylon one, but I also kept him on a lead whilst playing with younguns indoors, and maybe the dog saw this as a punishment and this is why he refused to walk.
I might try changing to a retractable lead, he might catch me up if iget ahead of him or maybe he'll like having something lighter around him.

I wasn't sure on the lead in the house tbh, he's alright when he's worn out but normally he's getting too excited and eventually knocks my lad over. I could keep them separate by having my lad in his room or the dog in his cage when they get too much but I thought that would be more detrimental the beneficial as they won't get used to each other. it doesn't seem to bother him being on his lead though. I'll take a bag of dog food with me tomorrow morning when I walk him see if I can coax him to walk.
I've always known puppies to love walking and this is the first I've had refusing to walk

Soldato
I might try changing to a retractable lead, he might catch me up if iget ahead of him or maybe he'll like having something lighter around him.

I wasn't sure on the lead in the house tbh, he's alright when he's worn out but normally he's getting too excited and eventually knocks my lad over. I could keep them separate by having my lad in his room or the dog in his cage when they get too much but I thought that would be more detrimental the beneficial as they won't get used to each other. it doesn't seem to bother him being on his lead though. I'll take a bag of dog food with me tomorrow morning when I walk him see if I can coax him to walk.
I've always known puppies to love walking and this is the first I've had refusing to walk

It could well be the weight of the lead that's bothering him. Mine has had a retractable lead for the last couple of years. He went from refusing to walk to pulling!

I put the lead on him when there's young kids about for 2 reasons. 1 so that he doesn't jump up at them. And 2 incase the kids poke him.

I tried the coaxing method and it never worked, he will not eat food outside the house.

Edit: Try taking to him to petsathome and try out some different combinations. It may be that he would prefer a harness.

Last edited:
Associate

He's an old tyme English bulldog born in July.
Good temperament and seems good with the kids although a little hyper with our 1 year old so when they're both on the floor we tend to have him on a lead just so we can make sure it doesn't get to ruff from either side.
Having fun with him chewing everything he's not allowed and not bothering with what he can have

He's still a baby remember. If he stops in walks, then go and hang out with him and then once he starts to move, make a massive deal and do things like throw high value food in the floor to make his walks really reinforcing. As his confidence grows I'm sure they'll be no stopping him

Soldato
We tried taking a toy out that didn't work I took food out this morning and made a fuss when he walked but It made no difference. Once we had eventually got around 400meters from the house he walked a bit which was good. All went well until I got in and he crapped on the living room floor! First time he's done it inside, thank god for wooden flooring

Back
Top Bottom