From Plasma to OLED thoughts and discussions.

Soldato
haha yeah, it is a right PITA exchanging TVs.

If it is really bothering you in normal content with your viewing conditions then there's not much choice though. I was tempted to exchange mine at the start in the hope to get a better one but didn't want to play the lottery again and possibly get a worse one :/

EDIT:

Yours is pretty bad though, I think it is safe to say vertical banding is almost a given to some extent but it is very rare to see horizontal banding too so I would say your next one is more likely to be free of horizontal banding.
Surprised they are still bad on these larger models - shame.

Soldato
I went from a fairly poor LG plasma, it was quite far off Pana/Pioneer, I think anyway. The black level wasn't that great. My LG OLED is far superior in every way and mines an old model now, 65EF950v.

I have heard that the 2018 models are much improved and I will consider an upgrade if I can find a good deal on a C8, maybe black Friday.

Caporegime
OP
I went from a fairly poor LG plasma, it was quite far off Pana/Pioneer, I think anyway. The black level wasn't that great. My LG OLED is far superior in every way and mines an old model now, 65EF950v.

I have heard that the 2018 models are much improved and I will consider an upgrade if I can find a good deal on a C8, maybe black Friday.

The C8 is the one I'm looking at :)

Soldato
I went from a 2008 Panny plasma to an LG55C7 end of last year and it's night and day difference. The colours are much more vibrant, the blacks better and it's thinner/more power efficient.
I have no regrets at all, however I did get an excellent uniform panel.

Caporegime
got a 50" GT50, i also have a 4k LG LCD and a large 55" sony for games room.

i'd upgrade purely for 4K especially netflix and prime HDR and UHD streams.

as for OLED it's a panel lottery. seems like uniformity being the major lottery. you could get a perfect panel or a disaster.

the other option is to go FALD LCD. again it's a poanel lottery with them too for banding and lots of other issues too.

basically there is no safe option and there is no perfect option for anyone. it's a lottery whatever you choose.

I went from a Panasonic 42 st50 to a LG 65 B7.
The image is spectacular, the only issue is panel uniformity.
Plasma's have no banding, no tinting, no uniformity issues really at all. Unlike OLED and all other TV's out right now.
Its a step backwards.
This is my TV's uniformity right now (B7)
Still debating on whether to send it back or not as the banding can be scene in certain scenes (low light)
The red tint is invisible to my eyes.

This what it was like 8hours ago, its cleared up, but it will back tomorrow when the automatic cycle kicks in

It varies quite allot....keeps changing.

It is worth it as long as you get a decent one.

It will be difficult to go back to my Plasma, but I may have too as I can't put up with it...for £2000 I expect near perfection.
6c5cjzqzv

you must be blind if you think plasmas have no banding.

Soldato
Well mine doesn't :p
Tested it with the same 5% grey screens, nothing there, its pretty even across.
I thought Plasma's had uniform screens....dunno where I read it, must be remembering wrong I guess..
I've sent the TV pictured above back already today as I can't live with the banding.
Had a quick look at my Plasma again in pitch black room, no banding at least what my eyes can detect.

Caporegime
Well mine doesn't :p
Tested it with the same 5% grey screens, nothing there, its pretty even across.
I thought Plasma's had uniform screens....dunno where I read it, must be remembering wrong I guess..
I've sent the TV pictured above back already today as I can't live with the banding.
Had a quick look at my Plasma again in pitch black room, no banding at least what my eyes can detect.

banding is obvious on a plasma when you have white text on a black background scrolling.

pick any movie. stick the credits on. make a video of the credits and upload them to youtube.

it doesn't happen just on credits. it happens all the time. credits is the easiest way to spot it though.

Soldato
I think my biggest 2 issues with OLEDs are:

1. Image retention
2. Screen size

I find immersion and screen size in TVs is quite underrated and I'd much more prefer a 75 inch FALD to a 65 inch OLED despite the superior blacks and infinite contrast.

Soldato
I would love a bigger, 70-72" ideally but I would never sacrifice black level for it. Once you have lived with the inky blackness there's no going back. My room is totally dark and when my TV goes to a totally black screen I can't see anything.

Soldato
I've never really understood when people have issues with slight uniformity issues on 100% grey slides - is this even visible when viewing regular content? If it is only an issue when viewing a grey slide, and not from regular content - is it even an issue?

Soldato
Still got my Panny Plasma - GT50 and it's still going strong, still amazed by the PQ to this day.

When the time does come to upgrade it will have to be OLED as nothing else will come close.

Soldato
Good call. Plasma and LEDs put out some good images, but there was always a compromise. One scene would look great and for whatever reason the next would be wonky. I genuinely haven't been fully happy with any flat panel. That was until getting an OLED and it's like a pleasant sigh of relief! They're not perfect for sure, but they nail all the important things for the first time since CRT days. Everything looks good and bar the tiniest niggles, nothing takes me out of the movie. With plasma/led there were more niggles plus not hitting all the key elements.

Soldato
I think I have a buyer for my Panny GT50 for £400 so i think I will be taking the plunge to OLED
I'd snap their hand off. Why on earth anyone would pay that when I got my Panasonic 58dx802b for 600 is beyond me but then I was glad to see the back of my plasma

Soldato
Recently switched from a Panasonic VT65 to a Sony AF8 OLED as I managed to get a v good deal

With Dolby Vision/HDR content it blows the Panasonic away, but some things did seem better on the Panasonic - motion, colour, but it was calibrated which probably helps

Soldato
I think I have a buyer for my Panny GT50 for £400 so i think I will be taking the plunge to OLED

Well worth it. A couple of years I went from a Pioneer Kuro LX5090 to an LG 55910V. It's not 4K, only 1080p. But, I have been constantly amazed since then. Everything looks so good. The Pioneer is an amazing TV, but, not in the same league as OLED.

Back
Top Bottom