RAZER Core

Associate
my laptop specs in sig has USB C whats so good about it. Should I use adaptor to plug in my usb 3 drive into the usb c port? Doesn't say TB3 on MSI but is it same?

USB 3.1 can transfer data at rates of up to 10 Gbps.

Thunderbolt can transfer data at rates of up to 40 Gbps.

40 Gbps needed to start having the bandwidth for a GPU.

Soldato
Thread bump, but just wondering how many people bought into this concept and if its actually any good? It's still pretty expensive!
I got a Dell XPS 9550 with the intention of adding a Razer Core with a GTX 1070 to it, but Razer never brought the Core to the UK so I couldn't do it. I see now that there's a much cheaper option - the Razer Core X - however it has no USB ports and no ethernet, so it's literally just an external GPU solution. Still not going to bother with it, it's just not worth the expense.

Soldato
I got a Dell XPS 9550 with the intention of adding a Razer Core with a GTX 1070 to it, but Razer never brought the Core to the UK so I couldn't do it. I see now that there's a much cheaper option - the Razer Core X - however it has no USB ports and no ethernet, so it's literally just an external GPU solution. Still not going to bother with it, it's just not worth the expense.
There are other eGPU's available now for much less than the Razer Core.

Soldato
There are other eGPU's available now for much less than the Razer Core.
True enough. The thing is, I got the XPS before I got the rig in my sig. The plan at the time was to use it as my only system, but when I couldn't get hold of an eGPU enclosure, I decided to build a gaming box. So now it's not so much about the expense, but the fact that it would be a significant downgrade. Of course, if I were in the same position now I could go for the 6 core XPS and the Razer Core.

Soldato
True enough. The thing is, I got the XPS before I got the rig in my sig. The plan at the time was to use it as my only system, but when I couldn't get hold of an eGPU enclosure, I decided to build a gaming box. So now it's not so much about the expense, but the fact that it would be a significant downgrade. Of course, if I were in the same position now I could go for the 6 core XPS and the Razer Core.
I'm in a similar position myself. I need a new laptop as my MBP is dead, but I was planning to build a desktop system so now I don't know I should buy a cheap laptop and decent rig or an ultrabook and eGPU.

Back
Top Bottom