**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Associate
I wouldn't get too excited! They're pretty horrible really. Solid plastic buds with no rubber grommets. Not only do they fall out of my ears too easily, they are so uncomfortable to wear compared to other in-ear phones that I've not used them since I first tried them out.

Is that not the ones the normal P20 deal gets you? Looks like the "Freebuds" for the P20 Pro deal are a reasonable looking Airpod /tribute/ and appear to have silicone plugs that'll help keep them in... I'd imagine you might be able to use Comply tips with them as well if they're any good.

Soldato
Is that not the ones the normal P20 deal gets you? Looks like the "Freebuds" for the P20 Pro deal are a reasonable looking Airpod /tribute/ and appear to have silicone plugs that'll help keep them in... I'd imagine you might be able to use Comply tips with them as well if they're any good.

I've got a P20 Pro not vanilla, and the ones I got with mine were pretty basic. Maybe there's a new deal since I got mine.

Associate
Current promo gets you the Freebuds with the P20 Pro.

The ones in the box, they're staying in the box... don't care that the phone shouts (first time) when I use the USB C adaptor with my RHA headphones, no way I'm using the provided ones as they look like they'd make my ears bleed with pain (so they're decent Apple clones in that respect)!

Soldato
Current promo gets you the Freebuds with the P20 Pro.

The ones in the box, they're staying in the box... don't care that the phone shouts (first time) when I use the USB C adaptor with my RHA headphones, no way I'm using the provided ones as they look like they'd make my ears bleed with pain (so they're decent Apple clones in that respect)!

Oh, what?! I just missed out on the Bose headphone offer and now it seems I've bought my phone in between that one and the new offer! :(

Yeah, the ones in the box are really horrible!

Soldato
Just received this phone and enjoying it so far however, I've noticed on WiFi that I've set it to Never under keep WiFi on during in sleep, but when I leave it overnight and check battery stats the WiFi chart is telling me it's been on?! Also seems like at my home WiFi the standby drain is more then elsewhere I've been staying? Is there a setting on my WiFi I would be aware of?

Thanks

Soldato
Looks like they have finally fixed all issues with Android Auto on the July update. Time to rebuy this phone I think, fed up of my Samsung S8+'s battery now.
Can anyone confirm this and on what build number? Got a new car with android auto arriving next month and would be amazing to have this functional.

Also is it possible to force the update lottery? E.g with oneplus you could vpn or manually download.

Soldato
Can anyone confirm this and on what build number? Got a new car with android auto arriving next month and would be amazing to have this functional.

Also is it possible to force the update lottery? E.g with oneplus you could vpn or manually download.

Possible? Yes but it's bit of a mine field.
XDA developers forum is probably the best place to read up if you Google "xda p20"

Associate
Il be interested to hear thoughts of the p20 compared to the pixel 2 :)

Thoughts: P2 feels tiny now, unsurprisingly!

Hardware navigation - brilliant. Game changer for me since I stuck with it.

Camera - mostly incredible, although it does take a little taming at times, even with AI (always) switched off. Walked home from the local watering hole at the weekend, and took a couple of photos while wondering through a copse at the top of the road, and the night shots pulled out detail I couldn't even see with my own eyes. On the flip side, I took a photo of Daddy whiskycycle last week on his birthday, and it turned his hair to straw in 10mp mode... I'd say it's partially an exercise in frustration, but is for the most part fantastic.

OS - I was used to it on the Honor 8 and P10 so there's nothing shocking so far really, and this version's definitely calmer than those were. Running Nova Launcher Pro now anyway, but the EMUI bits that poke through are fine really.

Speed - it's bloody quick. Feels a little nippier than the P2, but that's likely Nova settings I've got running.

Battery - regularly getting around 50% at the end of each day so far with normal use.

Design - love it, but it's a fingerprint magnet. Whacked on a Spigen tempered glass screen protector and one of their Ultra Hybrid cases, so hopefully no glass > floor interface... I did manage to nab a couple of the official Huawei cases, the smart one and the car one, and although they're good, they're too exposed top/bottom and around the buttons.

Very happy with it so far... whether or not that lasts is up to the phone and also my tech magpie tendencies.

Soldato
Thoughts: P2 feels tiny now, unsurprisingly!

Hardware navigation - brilliant. Game changer for me since I stuck with it.

Camera - mostly incredible, although it does take a little taming at times, even with AI (always) switched off. Walked home from the local watering hole at the weekend, and took a couple of photos while wondering through a copse at the top of the road, and the night shots pulled out detail I couldn't even see with my own eyes. On the flip side, I took a photo of Daddy whiskycycle last week on his birthday, and it turned his hair to straw in 10mp mode... I'd say it's partially an exercise in frustration, but is for the most part fantastic.

OS - I was used to it on the Honor 8 and P10 so there's nothing shocking so far really, and this version's definitely calmer than those were. Running Nova Launcher Pro now anyway, but the EMUI bits that poke through are fine really.

Speed - it's bloody quick. Feels a little nippier than the P2, but that's likely Nova settings I've got running.

Battery - regularly getting around 50% at the end of each day so far with normal use.

Design - love it, but it's a fingerprint magnet. Whacked on a Spigen tempered glass screen protector and one of their Ultra Hybrid cases, so hopefully no glass > floor interface... I did manage to nab a couple of the official Huawei cases, the smart one and the car one, and although they're good, they're too exposed top/bottom and around the buttons.

Very happy with it so far... whether or not that lasts is up to the phone and also my tech magpie tendencies.

Thanks for the feedback mate

Associate
Tempted to get the P20 PRO.
I read that there are/were issues with the GPS and Wifi. Are these issues sorted?
GPS would be the main thing for me.

Associate
Using Waze and Google Maps on mine quite a bit, haven't seen any issues as yet, other than it sometimes taking a few seconds extra to get a first location fix in Waze.

I've turned off WiFi+ though, as it got fairly aggressive in swapping between WiFi and 4g moving around the house and between discs on the WiFi repeaters. No trouble since, but it wouldn't always reconnect to WiFi...

Soldato
Got my P20 Pro on Tuesday and been loving it since. Came from P9 which I loved and feels tiny now! Hammered this phone today and got 30% battery at the end of the day!

Does anyone notice that sometimes the notification dots on the app icons stay on even after a message etc has been read and notification cleared? Found that holding the app down to move it then letting go clears it? Anyone got a fix?

Associate
One week into ownership of a P20 Pro & I'm impressed. After 5yrs of Windows phones (Lumia 900, 630 & 950xl) Android 8 with Nova launcher feels pretty slick. Nice and responsive. Used it heavily while in Holland last week, lots of free wifi and damn fast 4G network helped. Battery life has been astounding compared to the 950XL of late. It'd be flat in under 9hrs or less of lots of useage. Best I've had so far from the P20, is off charge at 8am, not needing charge till about 9pm the following day. Fast charge is pretty handy.
Screen is nice and bright even though it's not a QHD display but payoff is better battery and I can read it easier.
Haven't fully played with the camera yet, the 950's camera was a cracker. Sometimes it was used more than my dSLRs when on holiday. Hopefully the P20 will deliver the goods from its camera setup.
Apps wise, had more than enough on the 950 for daily use. Good Exchange connectivity was main requirement from the 950 plus a good Twitter client & Spotify. Nice now to have google pay, waze and other stuff to fill the 128gb on the P20
Call quality is very good & works fine with my car. Not tried the connected stuff on the OH's beemer yet.
No doubt lots more to learn with Android.

Back
Top Bottom