• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Threadripper 2 review thread

Soldato
Maybe you should email someone.

Why? I couldn't give a monkeys uncle if its decent or not.
My original post was talking about several members complaining about everyone but AMD. I think maybe you guys should fire some emails off.......

But whilst I'm here, AMD release a 32 core CPU which has issues running on windows which they must have seen during internal testing. And no word from them on this either so far.
Remember when VEGA released and its drivers were a bag of spanners? No different here it seems, products that aren't ready getting pushed to market.

Soldato
Why? I couldn't give a monkeys uncle if its decent or not.
My original post was talking about several members complaining about everyone but AMD. I think maybe you guys should fire some emails off.......

But whilst I'm here, AMD release a 32 core CPU which has issues running on windows which they must have seen during internal testing. And no word from them on this either so far.
Remember when VEGA released and its drivers were a bag of spanners? No different here it seems, products that aren't ready getting pushed to market.

You don't give a monkeys? yet here you with more spam...

Don
Hey guys,

Can you please keep it nice and clean, no insults, no whining about each other posts or anything like that.

Lets have at least one civil thread in here please.

Thanks,

Stelly

Soldato
Merely an observation, I have very little interest in threadripper. However, I do find it amusing just how much certain members whine about everything that isn't AMD.

You have made zero observations. People talking about how bad Windows is, or how broken Intels chips are right now is par for the course on a community like this. I'm not sure why you continually get upset.

Soldato
TBF,on the Nvidia driver thingy,its a bit of a fail AMD hadn't tested this out in the first place and at least mentioned it in the reviewer guide(or even mentioned it to Nvidia).

I can't see the gaming market for this chip being that big. Past people buying them for sake of showing off or just wanting to build a system around the best CPU possible, I wouldn't expect much demand.

Soldato
I so wanted this release to persuade me to jump AMD. But I'm doubting myself again.

So hard to choose. I'm on a 3820k and I worry I just won't see much of a difference for the mostly game orientated work I do.

Maybe I'll go 2700x. Do you the future 3700x and 4700x will all be on the same socket and x470 boards?

Last edited:
Soldato
I so wanted this release to persuade me to jump AMD. But I'm doubting myself again.

So hard to choose. I'm on a 3920k and I worry I just won't see much of a difference for the mostly game orientated work I do.

Maybe I'll go 2700x. Do you the future 3700x and 4700x will all be on the same socket and x470 boards?

If you can use the cores the 1950X is massively faster than 6c 12t Intel chips.

Soldato
If you can use the cores the 1950X is massively faster than 6c 12t Intel chips.

My rig is over 5 years old. I have earned a decent upgrade...but it'll be a full build this time round, as I want to move the current build into the lounge for my lad to use supervised and for us to mess about in VR (Vive original) more easily.

I like just being able to say I have a thread ripper. I'm that sad.

Soldato
I wonder how it does with Solaris x86 release, although I doubt it has been patched for support which is a shame.

Solaris has been more than happy with lots of threads on the Sparc platform for quite a few years, the Sparc T4 CPU released in 2011 had 64 threads, albeit from 8 cores but 8 threads per core, even more impressive on the T4-4 server with four T4 CPUs, 256 threads :D

Soldato
Indeed wow. I was also looking at the 2700X Linux benchmarks which had a link bellow.
Mind blowing the performance over the windows 10. In many cases +50% better perf but always W10 was slowest regardless. Only 1 benchmark the W10 is better. Solitaire :rolleyes:
And people ask me why I don't do windows :p

Soldato
And people ask me why I don't do windows :p

Didn't used for the best part of 11 years also, during the 90s and until 2003 (Eve Online *ehm) didn't touch windows.
I was even actively writing code for the kernel back then (parts of ip chains and few other bits), parts of a small UI project (blackbox), and very involved to the Greek community to create a spellchecker and grammar checker (greek language is complicated) when there were none. Tthese later got implemented it into latex and the rest of the word processors etc. Also it was the period wrote my first worm, and a nice script to strip all greek words from newspaper websites digging through article links 20-30 deep, while creating a unique word list. And then I had to go through by eye to remove all wrong words from the vocabulary.

Good times.

Soldato
It is not a gaming CPU now is it! Its a mega/multi tasking one used by the few who render or calculate stuff with software packages that cost a lot anyway. Deep learning, or rendering scenes for films or shows or architecture purposes (demos) and all that. Workstation based computers for scientific, academic or certain industries.

the 12C/24T might be for a few PCs with people with deep pockets I guess

Soldato
What's up with the motherboard prices? I would have already pulled the trigger if it wasn't for that. Any more affordable mobos coming?

Soldato
What's up with the motherboard prices? I would have already pulled the trigger if it wasn't for that. Any more affordable mobos coming?
I think we have a joker :). £1699 CPU and …..a good HEDT feature filled mobo to go with it. Cheapest one I see (the one I have with a 1950) is £289.99 which isn't badly priced IMO? To be honest I'd be looking at spending more on the mobo if I wanted the 2990

Soldato
I think we have a joker :). £1699 CPU and …..a good HEDT feature filled mobo to go with it. Cheapest one I see (the one I have with a 1950) is £289.99 which isn't badly priced IMO? To be honest I'd be looking at spending more on the mobo if I wanted the 2990
Nobody is dumb enough to get the 32 core threadripper apart from the reviewers who got it for free. The members market is full of overpriced mobos that never get sold because there is no point to them.

Back
Top Bottom