Air Con Suggestions

Associate
I have just fitted two of the Electriq quick connect ones 9000 btu models, really easy to fit and work really well, I have just ordered a another one for the bedroom would highly recommend them if anyone is thinking of getting one

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have just fitted two of the Electriq quick connect ones 9000 btu models, really easy to fit and work really well, I have just ordered a another one for bedroom would highly recommend them if anyone is thinking of getting one
Do you have any pictures of the installs? :)

Soldato
I've been thinking, I think I may end up paying the extra for a dual split aircon system in the near future. I'd already decided on getting a split for the bedroom, but the outdoor unit would be right outside the living room, so the extra unit would be easy to install, plus I think I'd end up regretting not getting the two. Plus they're very efficient at heating too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted my R32 split system last week. Absolutely brilliant. The girlfriend has been complaining its to cold all week:)

Soldato
Fitted my R32 split system last week. Absolutely brilliant. The girlfriend has been complaining its to cold all week:)
How much did that cost you if you don't mind me asking?

I had a qouet from a local AC installations company and for the below rooms they recommended a Daikin FVXM-F (2KW) unit in each room and the unit on the wall outside fitted £4197.90
Larger loft bedroom 15.2sq/m
Smaller loft bedroom 11.0sq/m

Now I've looked on eBay as an example sure I could get cheaper still elsewhere and can get the unit for £850 each, but not sure who (qualified) I could get to install it to bring the price down

Associate

I had a qouet from a local AC installations company and for the below rooms they recommended a Daikin FVXM-F (2KW) unit in each room and the unit on the wall outside fitted £4197.90

Now I've looked on eBay as an example sure I could get cheaper still elsewhere and can get the unit for £850 each, but not sure who (qualified) I could get to install it to bring the price down

Rip off UK.

I have a place in Greece, can buy a wall mounted 12000 btu inverter here, fitted for 495 euros....

Soldato

Mines a 5kw. We install Mitsubishi air source heat pumps & aircon so I managed to get mine for cost. I think the retail is £1,100 for the 5kw, I'd have to check that tho.

That does seem expensive for the Daikin, but it really depends on the models. We're doing a job for a guy with 3 wall units and 1 outdoor unit. Think the quote was cost of equipment+400 quid to fit.

Associate
I looked into 2 units (lounge & bedroom) the quotes I had ranged from £3,000 to £4,500. The piece i found annoying is that the units cost around £2,000 (for both) I was tempted to buy and ask for installation only, but was quoted around a days work which they said would be around £500. With the hot weather we had it was obvious costings would be high, but that makes it between £500 and £2,000 profit. I am still tempted if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Caporegime
I looked into 2 units (lounge & bedroom) the quotes I had ranged from £3,000 to £4,500. The piece i found annoying is that the units cost around £2,000 (for both) I was tempted to buy and ask for installation only, but was quoted around a days work which they said would be around £500. With the hot weather we had it was obvious costings would be high, but that makes it between £500 and £2,000 profit. I am still tempted if I can get it at a reasonable price.

What sort of units ?

Pre filled umits or separates that need to be filled post install ?

If it is the second then price of the gas needs to be added to cost of units, and as 9kg of R32 can be anywhere up to almost £500 in places, and will only ever go up in price, month on month, you can see why quotes can vary a lot as no one really knows exactly what the price of gas will be next week, let alone next month or next year.

At work we just had a quote for 200kg of R23 and that was £35,000, and that is to re gas just one of our 18 environmental chambers.

The R23 is around £130 per kilo now, this time last year it was about £19

Associate
What sort of units ?

If it is the second then price of the gas needs to be added to cost of units, and as 9kg of R32 can be anywhere up to almost £500 in places, and will only ever go up in price, month on month, you can see why quotes can vary a lot as no one really knows exactly what the price of gas will be next week, let alone next month or next year.

At work we just had a quote for 200kg of R23 and that was £35,000, and that is to re gas just one of our 18 environmental chambers.

I’m not sure to be honest, the units on a website as a kit.

Associate
What sort of units ?

Even R134a has rocketed in price since last year, I have a few cylinders stored away for doing cars - I think they were £99 each, 14kg. Now they are just stupid money. Still, means I can charge more so more profit. Once I run out I'm probably going to end up using recovered gas from our installers, or look into converting things to run R774 - even that is a daft price, and it's just bloody CO2!

Daikin are top stuff, I would rate them up there with Mitsubishi and Panasonic.
But that price is seriously over the top - TBH in your shoes I would go for a couple of pre-charged units, and have someone install them if you don't want to do it yourself.
It's simple work, and even a general builder could do it - no need for a licensed installer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Daikin are top stuff, I would rate them up there with Mitsubishi and Panasonic.
But that price is seriously over the top - TBH in your shoes I would go for a couple of pre-charged units, and have someone install them if you don't want to do it yourself.
It's simple work, and even a general builder could do it - no need for a licensed installer.

All the instructions will say that only qualified installers can install these units.

Ignore said instructions and you will find that even with pre filled units if they are not installed and commisioned by qualified engineers, the warranties are not valid.

Take the risk and do it yourself, or even get a general builder by all means, but if anything goes wrong and you try to get stuff fixed under warranty the first thing everyone asks for is the certificate of installation signed by qualified personnel.

RJC

RJC

Don
Units which take pre charged line are a pain to fit if you don't have a straight run, I bought mine from France with pre-charged lines and this was pain.

When I get some time I will rip the pipe work out and re-do it, cut the quick fittings of the indoor unit end and braze them on, the condenser end is a flare fitting.

Back
Top Bottom