Claiming for food poisoning

• Thread starter Deleted member 11679
  • Start date
Soldato
When did all this compensation for food poisoning come about? Seen countless stories in the papers over the last year people getting into trouble for suing hotels etc saying they got food poisoning from there cheapo all inclusive holidays while posting pictures on Facebook having a great time blatantly in good health. Apparently it’s that common many hotels are threatening to stop offering all inclusive deals because that many people are milking it and basically getting a free holiday with getting compo.
Anyway man up and move on op.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
Didn't realise the thread had gathered so many opinions. As an update, had a call from Environmental Health and they are investigating it. They've asked me to pass on to others who were at the party that they need to complete the same form I did.

If it's confirmed as food poisoning I'll definitely leave a review on TripAdvisor. I'll be interested to know if I hear anything back about what's been found out.

Also, I definitely won't be claiming compensation. I think a well written review will suffice and I may ultimately send them a letter if I feel that's something I want to do. I live over 2 hours from the venue so they definitely won't be getting repeat business!

Caporegime
No, he's not right at all. Just because people are ignorant it doesn't change an employees statutory rights.

regardless of statutory rights. if you have an employer that takes a harsh view of sick leave then it's better to not take it for minor things.

obviously you have never had such an employer but they are everywhere.

Caporegime
regardless of statutory rights. if you have an employer that takes a harsh view of sick leave then it's better to not take it for minor things.

obviously you have never had such an employer but they are everywhere.

Exactly, furthermore having an additional week off sick does not necessarily look good to a prospective employer when they ask how much sick leave you've had off in the past 6 months.

Caporegime
2* that posh compared to the place I ate at last weekend, just found out today that it has been given a zero on it last recent check. Boak.

I can’t understand a zero rating and they are allowed to stay open. There is a local Chinese with zero rating they they frequently serve up raw chicken as well.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

OP
For reference my Doctor has come back to me and said my test results show ‘Campylobacter’ in my system. Therefore it was definitely poor food preparation rather than another guest.

Soldato
Did you check out why they had a 2* rating http://ratings.food.gov.uk/ ?
(site is pretty interesting to checkout your take-aways)

my test results show ‘Campylobacter’ in my system. Therefore it was definitely poor food preparation rather than another guest.
not sure how other guests can be precluded, since family gatherings have a lot of hand-shaking, hand-food, ....

Am waiting outcome of a food safety request I made where local butchers consecutively handles produce and money without any precautions,
thread issue that came up before.

Soldato
Exactly, furthermore having an additional week off sick does not necessarily look good to a prospective employer when they ask how much sick leave you've had off in the past 6 months.

No but I manage a team of employed staff for a large company and we have a guy that was booking holidays instead of sick leave.(he was having ongoing treatment that would mean time off afterwards) However that has now come back and bit us in the backside as he now has other issues and we can't use previous sickness time off as he had it as holiday. When this came to light we backdated some leave as he was sick during it.

We are now very strict with paid annual leave and sick leave.

Soldato
For reference my Doctor has come back to me and said my test results show ‘Campylobacter’ in my system. Therefore it was definitely poor food preparation rather than another guest.

Campy is pretty much the most common of the foodborne bacterial infections (generally C. jejuni). It is a fairly good indicator of poor food prep but certainly doesn't rule out contraction from animal contact or even another human.

Soldato
I can’t understand a zero rating and they are allowed to stay open. There is a local Chinese with zero rating they they frequently serve up raw chicken as well.

Me neither, a zero should mean they have to close until they clean up their act and reinspected before they can reopen but it seems not.

Isn't the whole point you don't eat there if it has a zero rating :confused:

It was listed as "Awaiting Inspection" up until last Thursday when the score was published. If it was showing as a zero beforehand, believe me I would not have been eating there.

FSA say it was inspected in July so not sure why it takes them a whole month to publish the score, while putting unsuspecting people who would have choose not to the eat there at further risk.

Caporegime
Isn't the whole point you don't eat there if it has a zero rating :confused:

Oh I know that yet somebody was complaining about they got served raw chicken again and somebody else posted that they don't have the chicken there as every time its raw! That means they keep going back despite the zero rating and the raw chicken

Soldato
Does "Awaiting Inspection" not mean it is a new business, or it is re-opening, otherwise, other than lack of resources, does everyone not get checked out ?

A BK near us, that opened 8 months back is awaiting inspection ... but chain guys are perhaps given longer benefit of the doubt.

[had a discussion with environmental health yesterday for complaint I made ... local butcher who switched to one of these heat seal packing methods for sausages etc. you select from counter;
with previous, plastic bags, they could invert them and use as a glove to avoid touching produce, and then money, with the same hands ... but technology moves on ;) ]

Permabanned
I had this last year after eating at an Italian restaurant, not once did compensation cross my mind, no need to see a doctor either, unpleasant but not life threatening.

Soldato
Just something to add regarding hygiene ratings. We have 5* and our internal auditor popped in to have a look around not long ago. Nothing official just to see the manager for some advice on something. As she looked around she told us we would get a 2* rating ifvisited by EHO all because:

One of our spray bottles for cleaning had a broken trigger. Meaning not fit for purpose. Possible 1* drop.

We had ran out of red cloths for our raw prep area so we purchased white ones with red stripes from a shop to use until a delivery of red ones. 1* drop

And the big one...... At the time of her looking around ( this would be the same for EHO) one of our chefs popped to get some hand soap from our storage room so the dispenser was empty. Instant 2* drop...

So don't read star ratings as all bad. Some ratings are extremely harsh.

Associate
Oh I know that yet somebody was complaining about they got served raw chicken again and somebody else posted that they don't have the chicken there as every time its raw! That means they keep going back despite the zero rating and the raw chicken

When I was in Japan one of the locals took us to a place where Torisashi was served. Basically raw chicken which has been seared on the outside - considered a delicacy over there :eek: Needless to say, I passed on that one. I guess that intentionally serving it in a place where food quality and preparation standards are everything is a bit different to what is being discussed here :p

Soldato
Does "Awaiting Inspection" not mean it is a new business, or it is re-opening, otherwise, other than lack of resources, does everyone not get checked out ?

A BK near us, that opened 8 months back is awaiting inspection ... but chain guys are perhaps given longer benefit of the doubt.

[had a discussion with environmental health yesterday for complaint I made ... local butcher who switched to one of these heat seal packing methods for sausages etc. you select from counter;
with previous, plastic bags, they could invert them and use as a glove to avoid touching produce, and then money, with the same hands ... but technology moves on ;) ]

The takeaway I ate at the weekend with zero stars which was still showing as awaiting inspection was because it was a new business that had taken over a similar business at the same premises. When I look at all the local takeaways on FSA.gov.uk they all seem to have had their last inspection at the same time give or take a day or 2 and mostly the low star establishments. I take it the time it takes them to inspect a new business might be because of a lack of inspectors to inspect the whole county, what with council cost cuttings etc.

Just something to add regarding hygiene ratings. We have 5* and our internal auditor popped in to have a look around not long ago. Nothing official just to see the manager for some advice on something. As she looked around she told us we would get a 2* rating ifvisited by EHO all because:

One of our spray bottles for cleaning had a broken trigger. Meaning not fit for purpose. Possible 1* drop.

We had ran out of red cloths for our raw prep area so we purchased white ones with red stripes from a shop to use until a delivery of red ones. 1* drop

And the big one...... At the time of her looking around ( this would be the same for EHO) one of our chefs popped to get some hand soap from our storage room so the dispenser was empty. Instant 2* drop...

So don't read star ratings as all bad. Some ratings are extremely harsh.

That just goes to show how straight forward it is to achieve a 5 star, yet these grotty takeaway establishments can't even manage that. Also having written procedures and log books in place goes a long way too.

Caporegime
This thread made me check the rating of my nearest takeaways, closest pizza/kebab shop has got 1*, won't be eating there again.

doesn't mean anything tbh.

i ran a restaurant for 5 years and we used to get checked by them 2-3 times a year and we always passed. sometimes with minor issues which we usually resolved within a week.

i visited a 5 star hotel that was nearby to pick something up from the kitchen. i noticed pans sitting around with mould on them. it was pretty obvious they never ever got checked by them just because of their big fancy name and title.

so i would take ratings with a pinch of salt.

Back
Top Bottom