Machine for very poor family

Associate
Hi Guys

I'm looking at trying to put together a machine for a very poor family. Could people please make suggestions for as cost effective a machine as possible? I'll probably end up purchasing it myself - there's no way they can afford it. Unfortunately I'm experiencing some Work Uncertainty and can't really afford all that much either...

Thanks

Q.

Associate
If you don't need gaming, a Raspberry PI 3. It can do some "gaming", retro gaming for example.

A PI is about £30, a case about £5 and a power supply about £7, you can get cheaper PSUs though from China. Any 2 Amp USB charger will do.

Last edited:
Associate
im sure something fairly cheap can be picked up if its just for net or word docs etc, if for gaming then as above second hand the way to go

Soldato
If you don't need gaming, a Raspberry PI 3. It can do some "gaming", retro gaming for example.

A PI is about £30, a case about £5 and a power supply about £7, you can get cheaper PSUs though from China. Any 2 Amp USB charger will do.

If they have a tv the pi can output to then this would be ideal..

Buy a Windows 7 laptop for <£100 from ebay.

..else a cheap all in one laptop is probably your best bet.

Caporegime
you can get £100 quid machines older i5/i7 machines sometimes.on ebay.not uncommon probably some on now.you just need to keep a eye out.

Associate
I'll echo what most here have said that buying something second hand is probsably the best option. However, if you did want to do a new self build I'd suggest something like the below;

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £287.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
If you buy new try and look at the 2200g etc.

I built my son a pc in May using this processor and he loves minecraft. Used the onboard gpu as well so was quite and a cheap build. Used the mail gaming 3 mobo and 8gb of ram.

Note that if you get the same mobo there is a chance it may not support the processor as it needs a bios update.

Back
Top Bottom