• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Caporegime
Will power and principles in this case only hurt yourself. There's nothing virtuous about not buying something. Nvidia doesn't care, nobody cares.

Unless somehow you convince everyone to avoid buying it.

So once again, talking about reality, whether you guys buy it or not, it will not change the course of history.
True enough, but I would be extremely disappointed with myself if I paid these prices.

Will it register, even slightly, with nVidia's accountants? No, no it won't.

But I wouldn't be "hurting myself" by not buying... I really don't understand how you could come to that conclusion?? I'd simply be making a value judgement that the product wasn't worth the asking price.

Soldato
Don't be so obnoxious. I could buy 10 tomorrow and it not harm my finances. That doesn't mean I don't get to think the price is ridiculous. I also didn't even complete school.

I could pony up cash right now for a 2080ti....

But why would I be so dumb? zero benches, obnoxious pricing and nothing so far beyond seeing how nice ray tracing looks and yes it's nice.

Nope not allowed to complain though and say the current situation in the GPU market isn't great.

Soldato
Why would you buy 10, now your being a bit silly?
Can you show me where I said I would? I said I could. Is reading comprehension hard for you?

My point is that I think they're overpriced, despite being more than affordable for me. People like you have got to get off the whole "you only think it's too much because you can't afford it" nonsense.

Soldato

But why would I be so dumb? zero benches, obnoxious pricing and nothing so far beyond seeing how nice ray tracing looks and yes it's nice.

Nope not allowed to complain though and say the current situation in the GPU market isn't great.
YoU jUsT cAn'T aFfOrD iT.

Soldato
Can you show me where I said I would? I said I could. Is reading comprehension hard for you?

My point is that I think they're overpriced, despite being more than affordable for me. People like you have got to get off the whole "you only think it's too much because you can't afford it" nonsense.

Can you show me where I said you did? Is it hard for you as well?
My point is no-one knows how fast it is or isn't yet so why so much hurt over the price?

Soldato

Here’s a thought people.

Buy one and skip two generations that way the cards cost £400-500

Man maths at its finest?

Nope still not working for me, need benchies

Associate
they will drop £100 off these cards in 2 months and everyone complaining about the price will buy them shouting how much of a bargain they got.

remember they done this last gen aswell as previous gens. the titan then the titan+1/3 and then titantV. this gen they will do 2080ti, 2080ti+1/3, titan, titan+1/3, titan(next gen letter) and maybe even more. 5 years down the line the 1050ti will get the XX80Ti motif.

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-2080ti

just look at these prices, Ti went from £750 territory to £1200 that is a £500 increase in some instances.

I can see many people buying 1080TI and the price of these will not drop either but go up.

no way i am paying over £1000 for GPU, its ridiculous. I really think NVIDIA sales of these cards will force them to drop price at one point, that is if nobody buys them but that's not going to happen is it.

I had planned a big upgrade with 16 core threadripper and new shiny TI but now I will put the whole lot off till next year and see what AMD does. My 1080TI is burning through games no point upgrading not at these prices, unless its like 60-70% faster than my 1080TI am not going to bother with the 2080TI.

Man of Honour
AMD could actually do something here by dropping their prices and making Nvidia look silly.

I doubt Vega can even compete with the 2070 on traditional performance - even if they massively dumped the prices (making a huge loss) they probably can't make anything of this. With Vega on HBM they've pretty much snookered themselves in terms of competing with Turing generation cards until they have something new.

Associate

Because it's a preorder. You can cancel it. We aren't playing poker here. It's not like Nvidia is on the bluff and we are have to commit chips. I pre-ordered to make sure I get one and make sure its at the lowest possible price. "If the milk turns out to be sour, then I ain't the kinda pussy to drink it" and all that.

Soldato
Well this sucks, my 390x is very loud with bodged fans. I was hoping to get a 2080 for £500. oh dear.

Little bit of history if you're interested, which you're not.

The Geforce 256 was revolutionary change to graphics cards by being the first GPU rather than just an accelerator. It included a major change in the way graphics work: Transform and Lighting. It certainly didn't offer much in performance over the outgoing TNT2 and TNT 2 Ultra in terms of performance, but with maturing drivers, switch to DDR memory and increasing widespread use of TnL, it eventually offered a big performance increase. It retailed for £300 (£490 today) (with pre-orders falling down to £250; £410 today). Anandtech

The Geforce 3 offered a similar "revolutionary" transition, with a "vertex processor" offering what Anandtech described as the first actual true "GPU". "realistic reflections, skin, hair, walls and overall extremely detailed surfaces are now finally going to be made possible through the use of the programmable technology behind NVIDIA's nfiniteFX engine." It was launched at $500 ($711 in 2018 money). Anandtech described it as a "luxury item now, but in 6 - 12 months, you'd be foolish to get caught without a programmable GPU under your case". A statement, not a rhetorical question. I assume Nvidia got it right here too? Anandtech

The Geforce 8 series was Nvidia's next step with CUDA cores (we'll forget about the 5 series). I honestly can't remember what or why it was a big deal, but it was a big deal, with the 8800GTX absolutely smashing the 7900GTX, even SLI 7900GTX, and that was in normal DX9 games. It retailed for £330 ( £535 today) or so judging by OCUK's page in December 2006, for normal the 768mb version. The 8800GTS 320mb was £260 in todays money. OCUK

In between Nvidia getting TnL, whatever a "vertex processor" is, and the 8800GTX right there is also Physx - meh; Hairworks - big meh; shadow stuff - don't care; special types of AA - really don't care.

Back
Top Bottom