Are Muslims allowed student loans?

Associate
OP
Call it a tax and play semantics.

Depending on the course and future value derived from it, I'd think carefully about paying it unless you are so rich it doesn't matter.
Thats like saying I can consume a bottle of whisky for medicinal purposes. Who am I fooling!

Semantics. Call it rent a transfer of equity over time as you pay rent and all is fine.

To be fair, interest and return on equity/capital is very closely linked and almost interchangeable.

Soldato
Shock horror....

rules allegedly divinely dictated to an illiterate trader in 7th century Arabia by god are found to not be particularly practicable in the UK in the 21st century.

I am quite happy for religiously minded adults to abide by unusual or impractical religious rules as long as any negative affects are not felt by other non consenting adults or children.

However when you have to invent silly ploys to get around you own self imposed rules the only person you are fooling is yourself.

No one who is in business and who wants to stay in business provides money to another party without expecting more money back over the period the funds are provided for.

Call it interest or call it whatever you want but the situation is the same at the end....

You get some money you need in the here and now and the party providing the money does so on the agreement and expectation that they will, in time, receive their money back and receive extra payment in addition to the initial amount of money provided.

Soldato
How is that not just interest with a different name?

It looks a lot like good old fashioned HP (hire purchase). I've not looked into it extensively, but I get the impression that earning interest on interest is not allowed, thus the 'unusual' construction on Islamic products to avoid that possibility.

But there are interest rates, how does that work? :confused:

They are just percentages.

Associate
If you do pay i doubt you'd want it back. I never knew about this but now I do I'm intrigued as to how she is ever going to own a home ? Or any muslim for that matter, saving up 200k+ is a hard thing to do.

So does she follow all the other rules?

Cause the homophobic side probbaly won't go down well at uni
Highly doubt she'll go screaming at them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am a muslim. But I do have a mortgage. I was informed by imams that this is allowed as having a home to live in is a fundamental necessity.

So surely is your daughters education?

I mean you've already ****** off god by ignoring the rule let her do the same you can just ask for forgiveness each day I case you die one car crash and be all good

Soldato
The government should not make concessions based on faith.

A faith community should set up a fund for this type of thing.. don't blame our country.

Associate
When I studied at Aston Business School in 2010-2012 they offered Masters Degree courses on Sharia Finance, they were actually well attended compared to the course I did although Finance & Law of Finance isn’t most people’s cup of tea. That said everyone makes their own choices according to their beliefs and values. As one response rightly said Student Loans are actually a Graduate Tax as only 30% of people will ever pay their loans back in full based on the initial research.

What I think is terrible is accruing interest at 6.1% when you can still get a mortgage for <2% at the moment. The government can borrow money for 10 years at about 1.3% so go figure.

I started University in 1991 when Student Loans were first introduced, but I also worked part-time and fortunately managed to pay it back within four years. I am strong believer that University isn’t for everyone and things started to go wrong when the Labour government set a goal for 50% of young people to go to University.

When I became a manager in IT in a large multinational the quality of our undergraduate sandwich students was variable to say the least, many lacked basic language and communication skills. I don’t blame the students as much as the quality and appropriateness of the teaching.

Associate
The government should not make concessions based on faith. A faith community should set up a fund for this type of thing.. don't blame our country.

I agree 100% with this, especially as Muslim parents know this and therefore should plan and save accordingly. It’s not as if you wake up to find you have an 18-year old child that needs a University education.

Man of Honour
The hilarious thing about this is the "side steps" as if God cares abour the letter of the law rather than the intent

That one always cracks me up - happens a lot with Christianity as well. Not sure about other religions but I guess often the same there.

I've not looked this one up in detail but I suspect it is like many things that are often misunderstood in Christianity and Islam in that the spirit of the relevant passages is related to greed but rather than take onboard the root message of the relevant passages people get all caught up in literal translation or at some point someone has misused the passage to slap it over something they disagree with and it has stuck down the ages, etc. etc.

I highly suspect if you look at the relevant text objectively the spirit of it doesn't prevent the use of a loan for purposes of education or general welfare, etc. but does prohibit the use of such in pursuit of worldly vanities or something along that line.

Caporegime
That one always cracks me up - happens a lot with Christianity as well. Not sure about other religions but I guess often the same there.

I've not looked this one up in detail but I suspect it is like many things that are often misunderstood in Christianity and Islam in that the spirit of the relevant passages is related to greed but rather than take onboard the root message of the relevant passages people get all caught up in literal translation or at some point someone has misused the passage to slap it over something they disagree with and it has stuck down the ages, etc. etc.

I highly suspect if you look at the relevant text objectively the spirit of it doesn't prevent the use of a loan for purposes of education or general welfare, etc. but does prohibit the use of such in pursuit of worldly vanities or something along that line.

Nah theyr e pretty explicitly against usary.

No interest on anything, meant to stop money lenders growing in power (weather that has anything to do with Jews traditional role as lenders who knows)
But if God thought it important enough to make it a law as a foundation for thier society you have to laugh that changing the name will get around it

Man of Honour
Nah theyr e pretty explicitly against usary.

No interest on anything, meant to stop money lenders growing in power (weather that has anything to do with Jews traditional role as lenders who knows)
But if God thought it important enough to make it a law as a foundation for thier society you have to laugh that changing the name will get around it

Interesting - surprised it isn't a bigger deal for Christians then as well being the same God and all though Jesus wasn't exactly a fan of those old money lenders.

Back
Top Bottom