• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
This is AMD's fault
If they could remember how to make a half decent GPU that doesn't double up as a space heater and need a sub station to power it's mediocre performance we wouldn't be here.

:)
It's actually you fault for not buying AMD graphics cards to give them the money to put in to R&D to produce better cards.

That's just as absurd as your claim.

Associate
So these obnoxious prices are just because of ray tracing which only a handful of games support? If the 2070 doesn't beat the 1080ti in the current games no point spending that much on it.

Associate
The RTX comparison about reflections didn't really convince me: I see plenty of games with great reflections (like Forza Horizon 3), but when they switched ray tracing on and off they made it look like it's the first time we had good looking ones.

Man of Honour
Nah proper ray traced reflections are in another league even compared to well done faked up reflections - even ones that don't rely on screen space imagery. Properly done a bit creatively with extensive use of render to texture functionality, multiple probes and maybe even a simplified lighting model of the world to fake up reflection detail and global illuminations from out of scene sources a certain amount via some kind of spare voxel technique can look nice but don't even come close.

EDIT: Did annoy me a bit how much he was banging on about the reflections in the car windscreens using demos that didn't even show anything more than can be faked up while ray tracing can do several orders of magnitude better if you take the time to make a proper demo and show it off properly.

Soldato
The RTX comparison about reflections didn't really convince me: I see plenty of games with great reflections (like Forza Horizon 3), but when they switched ray tracing on and off they made it look like it's the first time we had good looking ones.

The problem is, a lot of this is more impressive from an industry perspective than it is to gamers. Ray tracing in games has been the pipe dream for realtime rendering for so long, but I'd wager most gamers don't see just what a big step this is. They made a bad call with the examples they've shown on stage, but only because of the audience. It should have been followed through with some decent performance metrics, but they showed nothing.

Associate
Nah proper ray traced reflections are in another league even compared to well done faked up reflections - even ones that don't rely on screen space imagery. Properly done a bit creatively with extensive use of render to texture functionality, multiple probes and maybe even a simplified lighting model of the world to fake up reflection detail and global illuminations from out of scene sources a certain amount via some kind of spare voxel technique can look nice but don't even come close.

EDIT: Did annoy me a bit how much he was banging on about the reflections in the car windscreens using demos that didn't even show anything more than can be faked up while ray tracing can do several orders of magnitude better if you take the time to make a proper demo and show it off properly.

I understand - especially lighting wise - they are on another level of realism, because they are "real" and not faked, but here's an example: the reflections on the hood are much better looking than what Battlefield V had during the on/off comparison.

Associate
I understand - especially lighting wise - they are on another level of realism, because they are "real" and not faked, but here's an example: the reflections on the hood are much better looking than what Battlefield V had during the on/off comparison.

must have seen two different presentations then.
ray tracing makes the world dynamic.
cant fake that as its not about details but how the world respond to the action.

will take a few years for games to catch up and hardware to be built that can handle 144fps.

Associate
must have seen two different presentations then.
ray tracing makes the world dynamic.
cant fake that as its not about details but how the world respond to the action.

will take a few years for games to catch up and hardware to be built that can handle 144fps.

Look at when Ray Tracing is off while they are showing the reflections on the car. It's not a simple Ray Tracing on/off, is Ray Tracing On vs reflections set at their lowest detail level.

Soldato
So we can expect a lot of demo trailers in the near future where every other surface is bizarrely highly polished just to show it off. The car and flame thrower was more distracting then immersive, why would a car in WW2 have a high polish paint finish in the middle of a warzone? Pro gamers will probably turn the effect off as much as possible due to it's distractions and for the rest of us it's worth is questionable to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom