Are Muslims allowed student loans?

Soldato
Interesting - surprised it isn't a bigger deal for Christians then as well being the same God and all though Jesus wasn't exactly a fan of those old money lenders.
The Reformation had a lot to do with the change in the Christian view towards usury.

Part of the ‘new’ Protestant denomination was a relaxation of usury laws.

Technically it’s still a sin in the eyes of the Catholic Church, but they’ve changed the definition of usury to ‘extortionate interest’ rather than just ‘interest’.

There’s also a long history between Christianity and Islam, and Judaism (only Jews were allowed to charge interest and became defacto bankers).

Obviously it’s much more complicated than that, but Christianity’s approach to usury isn’t quite as simple as it first appears.

Caporegime
Usury was quite a big thing in the Middle Ages. Medieval Europe regarded any charging of interest on loans as sinful, Islam still does today.

It’s just more proof that Islam is 500 years behind the rest of us.

Man of Honour
The Reformation had a lot to do with the change in the Christian view towards usury.

Part of the ‘new’ Protestant denomination was a relaxation of usury laws.

Technically it’s still a sin in the eyes of the Catholic Church, but they’ve changed the definition of usury to ‘extortionate interest’ rather than just ‘interest’.

There’s also a long history between Christianity and Islam, and Judaism (only Jews were allowed to charge interest and became defacto bankers).

Obviously it’s much more complicated than that, but Christianity’s approach to usury isn’t quite as simple as it first appears.

The Bible (some translations aside) though in the few instances it concerns itself is almost purely from a charitable context rather than using loans for day to day business, etc. while it seems Islam has a very different take on it.

Caporegime
Interesting - surprised it isn't a bigger deal for Christians then as well being the same God and all though Jesus wasn't exactly a fan of those old money lenders.

Christians and Jews have no rules against it as far as I know.

Given no Christians read the bible its all just cultural hearsay lol

Soldato
I had a look over "Islamic" mortgages and loans when my then colleague was looking to buy a house. What ever way you cut it they're paying interest like everyone else. The Jewish banker who came up with the idea must have ROFLd himself into a coma :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So surely is your daughters education?

I mean you've already ****** off god by ignoring the rule let her do the same you can just ask for forgiveness each day I case you die one car crash and be all good
I want her to get a student loan. She is the one who shows doubt.

Soldato
I genuinely had no idea that Muslims couldn't take/give loans with interest. Guess every day is still a school day.

Indeed, there is a considerable workaround for mortgages etc
So the loans do happen, they just change the loan amount so it doesn't seem like interest.
Same thing in the end.

Associate
OP
I agree 100% with this, especially as Muslim parents know this and therefore should plan and save accordingly. It’s not as if you wake up to find you have an 18-year old child that needs a University education.
Not easy to save. Besides, muslims tend to have lots of children.

Soldato
I genuinely had no idea that Muslims couldn't take/give loans with interest. Guess every day is still a school day.

This.

Although as interesting this thread has been to read, i do feel OP should have prepped his daughter way before asking her how her student loan application was going? That part makes zero sense to me. I'm calling shenanigans on this thread.

I asked her where she obtained this idea that Muslims cannot get student loans. She refused to answer. My impression is she got it from the Internet.

I mean surely you would know this? If you're super into your faith?

Associate
OP
This.

Although as interesting this thread has been to read, i do feel OP should have prepped his daughter way before asking her how her student loan application was going? That part makes zero sense to me. I'm calling shenanigans on this thread.

I mean surely you would know this? If you're super into your faith?
My daughter is a devout muslim. In the past we discussed student loans, which she was against. I assumed that the school would help her with the application, just like the personal statement when applying to University.

Caporegime
I want her to get a student loan. She is the one who shows doubt.

Take her to the Inman who told you its fine to have a mortgage and get him to tell her the same.

Also do the its a tax dance.

Or go the whole hog and point out a daughter has to obey her father and command it.

Islam is also pretty clear that people shpuld seek knowledge and education (regardless of what some groups say) so by furthering her education as best she can she would be doing as Mohamed commanded and pleasing Allah.

Back
Top Bottom