Are Muslims allowed student loans?

Soldato
To be fair, and my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, if she never has to pay her loan back she'll never pay interest. Is the policy against owing interest or just paying it?

I mean surely you would know this? If you're super into your faith?
When did OP say they were super into their faith?

Plenty of Muslims are more/less relaxed about their faith and culture than people assume, just like other religions. As an atheist I assumed all Christians were super devout and rigid but was surprised, as an adult, to find they're just normal people! Some smoke, some drink, some swear, some cheat on their partners.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
My daughter is a devout muslim. In the past we discussed student loans, which she was against. I assumed that the school would help her with the application, just like the personal statement when applying to University.

School will have probably explained the student loan system but applying is down to the student.

Your daughter has a choice, either put aside her beliefs for the sake of her education, not go to university or find an Islamic loan that will cost more but uses the words "fee" instead of "interest" and so God doesn't mind.

Associate
OP
To be fair, and my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, if she never has to pay her loan back she'll never pay interest. Is the policy against owing interest or just paying it?

Plenty of Muslims are more/less relaxed about their faith and culture than people assume, just like other religions. As an atheist I assumed all Christians were super devout and rigid but was surprised, as an adult, to find they're just normal people! Some smoke, some drink, some swear, some cheat on their partners.
Apparently, interest is incurred on the loan at a monthly term from when you commence tge course.
If you do a 4 year course and do not pay any of the student loan back in that time then the interest would have accumulated. I think compound interest applies.
Don't forget, it's not just £9250 x 4, but also if you live away from home you can get an extra £4500 x4 for living expenses. That amounts to £55,000. I cannot recall the equation for compound interest, but I am sure it's not going to look pretty!
If you study in London and not in the halls of residence and away from home, this amount is still not enough.

Soldato

Potentially not going to university because its against their faith to get a student loan with interest, in my eyes is 'pretty into their faith'. Wouldn't you agree?

Soldato
So surely is your daughters education?

I mean you've already ****** off god by ignoring the rule let her do the same you can just ask for forgiveness each day I case you die one car crash and be all good

If God's ****** off by someone taking out a load, he/she/they/them/attack helicopter is going to be ******* ******* ************ furious with me.

Associate
She should get the loan. If God is real, God will forgive her surely? I mean sure, she is as far a she knows, knowingly betraying her religion. But on the other hand, it's not like she is committing murder. If this is a serious concern then as someone else suggested, you should probably consult a local Imam. They'll know better then us.

Associate
OP
OP..... Tell your daughter that if she is a true devout Muslim she doesn't need to waste her time study anything other then the Qur’an....

Problem solved?[/QUOTE

Does the Quran not say that man should seek knowledge. Besides, if we have a narrow mind-set then we can never advance.
There are devout muslims who have advanced Science and technology.

Soldato
Does the Quran not say that man should seek knowledge. Besides, if we have a narrow mind-set then we can never advance.
There are devout muslims who have advanced Science and technology.

Glad to confirm that we have established that the Quran is internally inconsistent rather undermining its claims to be the last, final, perfect word of God.

Back
Top Bottom