The nervous wait to exchange....

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Completed successfully on Friday, bloody stressful - not because of the solicitors / estate agents, we had a phone call at 10am saying 'its all done now, you can pick up the keys when theyre dropped off' - but our removal company, jesus... 'lassez faire' doesnt do them justice. They didnt grasp the 'we HAVE to be out by 2pm', to the point they got to 1:30pm and realised 'oh yeah we wont have enough room in the van, we'll dump your stuff on the drive and come back for it later'... !!!! Overall though very happy to be in the new place, just a lot of box lugging and unpacking to do.

Soldato
Got all my contract papers and land transfer forms yesterday, reviewed it and have a few questions about one or two covenants on the transfer.
Been trying to get hold of my solicitor all day, not returning my calls and ignoring my email yesterday! I wanted to post it today but at this rate it looks like I won't get to speak to anyone, how frustrating.

It would take all but 5 minutes to resolve if they just gave me the time of the day, instead of delaying another day.

Associate
Had offer accepted 2 weeks ago, survey is booked for end of next week so we're just waiting for the draft contracts to be sent across now.

Hopefully we'll be more successful this time. I'd posted in here about 18 months month ago when we last tried to buy a place, but gave up after waiting 6 months for them to sort the issues out (parking space was on a separate title, which wasn't registered in the seller's names). Though it's worked out for the better, as now we're going for a 2 bed end terrace with some garden and room to park 2 cars next to the building, whereas previously we tried to buy a 3rd floor 2 bed flat with a parking space under a separate building that took a couple minutes to walk to.

Soldato
Got all my contract papers and land transfer forms yesterday, reviewed it and have a few questions about one or two covenants on the transfer.
Been trying to get hold of my solicitor all day, not returning my calls and ignoring my email yesterday! I wanted to post it today but at this rate it looks like I won't get to speak to anyone, how frustrating.

It would take all but 5 minutes to resolve if they just gave me the time of the day, instead of delaying another day.

Managed to get hold of them yesterday, they have put the enquiry across to the sellers solicitor. I wanted to try exchange on Friday, but it's now looking unlikely.

Soldato
Managed to get hold of them yesterday, they have put the enquiry across to the sellers solicitor. I wanted to try exchange on Friday, but it's now looking unlikely.

Whilst I wait for this I have sent 10% to the solicitor via chaps from Nationwide. Money hasn't left the account yet (CHAPS done at 1pm). I am super paranoid after reading horror stories of missing chaps payments on the web!

Soldato
Whilst I wait for this I have sent 10% to the solicitor via chaps from Nationwide. Money hasn't left the account yet (CHAPS done at 1pm). I am super paranoid after reading horror stories of missing chaps payments on the web!
Had a lot of people send £1 first recently which is really ******* off our accounts department :D

ADT

ADT

Associate
My first mortgage application. I have just received an email from my broker that the valuation has been scheduled for tomorrow.

Lender is Halifax, does that mean that the application (affordability and credit checks) have been accepted?

Soldato
Had a lot of people send £1 first recently which is really ******* off our accounts department :D

I can imagine! Money has left the account, solicitor doesn't have it, which is odd. I will see if it pops through tomorrow else I shall be on the phone to the bank.
All other matters are now sorted and contracts have been posted back to the solicitor.

Exchange set for this Friday! Fingers crossed.

Soldato
I can imagine! Money has left the account, solicitor doesn't have it, which is odd. I will see if it pops through tomorrow else I shall be on the phone to the bank.
All other matters are now sorted and contracts have been posted back to the solicitor.

Exchange set for this Friday! Fingers crossed.

Strange that it didn’t go through today - I would be complaining to Halifax about the CHAPS charge if it doesn’t end up being sent until tomorrow.

Fingers are crossed for you tomorrow!

Soldato
Strange that it didn’t go through today - I would be complaining to Halifax about the CHAPS charge if it doesn’t end up being sent until tomorrow.

Fingers are crossed for you tomorrow!

I will be calling up tomorrow but I also don’t particularly trust my solicitor either to check properly. She said their accounts don’t update till tomorrow morning (doesn’t make sense unless they don’t have direct access and they are using some software to pull balances)...

Soldato
I will be calling up tomorrow but I also don’t particularly trust my solicitor either to check properly. She said their accounts don’t update till tomorrow morning (doesn’t make sense unless they don’t have direct access and they are using some software to pull balances)...

Update..

CHAPS request online from Nationwide at 12.45pm on the 22nd Aug (yesterday).
This was processed at around 4.45PM on the same day (22nd Aug).
Money was debited from the account as per online banking.

Yesterday the Solicitor checked at 5, 5.30 and 6pm, but nothing into their account.

Roll on today - 23rd
Solicitor checks account at 9, 9.30 and with accounts team, nothing still.

I call Nationwide (who use HSBC for CHAPS as intermediary) and they confirm the payment request cleared HSBC and gave me a reference number to confirm. We also reconfirm the transfer details, they are correct.

They said it's definitely not being held on our side and asked to check the receiving bank (Natwest) if they are holding it.

Solicitor says they have checked and they have nothing pending on their side.

What gives? What do I do now? Nationwide are saying they cannot do anything else, except for put a trace on it except this takes up to 10 days. I have to exchange tomorrow!

Associate
Update..

What gives? What do I do now? Nationwide are saying they cannot do anything else, except for put a trace on it except this takes up to 10 days. I have to exchange tomorrow!

Assuming your solicitors might be a bit dim: Not sure if this is possible but with the reference number you might be able to contact the solicitor's bank (recipient) to get them to confirm the deposit of the money. For confidentiality reasons they may not but you're only trying to trace a deposit with a reference number so they may allow it. Worth a try at least. Worst case, they decline to do it.

Soldato
That sounds real crappy for you @gam3r

Really hope it goes through? You had any updates today?

After all that, it turns out Nationwide didn't process it before the cut off yesterday (even though i submitted it well before the 3pm deadline!). Reached the solicitors account at around 11am today.

And....we have now exchanged a whole day early! Completion next Friday on the 31st. Very real now!

Associate
After all that, it turns out Nationwide didn't process it before the cut off yesterday (even though i submitted it well before the 3pm deadline!). Reached the solicitors account at around 11am today.

And....we have now exchanged a whole day early! Completion next Friday on the 31st. Very real now!

Grats. House buying in the UK is so archaic and stupid it staggers belief for a "developed" nation. CHAPS before the deadline should be guaranteed same day. If you could be bothered you could probably hassle them for a partial if not full rebate as compensation.

Soldato
Grats. House buying in the UK is so archaic and stupid it staggers belief for a "developed" nation. CHAPS before the deadline should be guaranteed same day. If you could be bothered you could probably hassle them for a partial if not full rebate as compensation.

France is worse - even after exchange, the buyer has 10 days grace in which to change their mind.

Some knob did that to my mum and Dad and there is literally no penalty for them

Back
Top Bottom