• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
My expectations at best I think you will see -

2080 same as and in some titles up to max 10% >1080ti
2080ti same as and in some titles up to max 10% > Titan Xp

Worth the price jump? Hell no. Worth the pre-order price stupidity - definitely hell no!

For the price of a 2080ti you could buy someone a whole mid range gaming PC.

It really is off the scale of value for money and in to luxury territory.

Not sure about 1080 but I'd say the 2080 Ti will be around 30% faster than a 1080 Ti which will mean 20% faster than a TXP (assuming there's 10% in it between the 1080 Ti and later TXP). This is however without games taking advantage of the new tech on offer. Didn't I read somewhere that the Titan V sees a bit jump in performance when the Tensor cores are utilised? The new GPU's have these.
I see these cards as getting better as time goes by. Benchmarking against current games may not look great but a year or two from now 10 series vs 20 in new games their will probably be a larger difference...….

Associate
If we are measuring in TFLOPS for comparison:

2070 7.45 TFLOPS
2080 10.00 TFLOPS
2080 ti 13.45 TFLOPS

with the 1080 ti falling in between 2080 and 2080 ti?
1080 ti 12 TFLOPS

At the moment am able to find 1080 ti for cheaper than a 2080 and without benchmarks can only assume I would get higher FPS on a 1080 ti than with a 2080. This is alarming as we would've expected 2080 to be a good 20-25% increase over the 1080 ti? Not to mention the 2080 has less memory, albeit GDDR6 vs GDRR5X..

Associate
Not sure about 1080 but I'd say the 2080 Ti will be around 30% faster than a 1080 Ti which will mean 20% faster than a TXP (assuming there's 10% in it between the 1080 Ti and later TXP). This is however without games taking advantage of the new tech on offer. Didn't I read somewhere that the Titan V sees a bit jump in performance when the Tensor cores are utilised? The new GPU's have these.
I see these cards as getting better as time goes by. Benchmarking against current games may not look great but a year or two from now 10 series vs 20 in new games their will probably be a larger difference...….

The problem is though people that buy in to this kind of luxury market will buy the 3080 and 3080ti in a years time so that won't matter to them? It's just fuelled by people wanting the new technology and I understand I do but you are only feeding this cycle of extortion. I think it's sad that people are getting priced out of the market now even in the 2070 tier. it's been bad enough with the mining craze prices. I am now one of them and I didn't buy at the last launch of the 1080 at those prices either. While I could buy it I would only end up with buyers remorse because I could do a whole lot more with that money if spent wisely.

If we could get people all to not buy we'd all actually end up with the card at a reasonable price and everyone could benefit but I don't envisage people actually thinking about that or caring enough to make that choice.

The problem is that is what it would take to put a stop to this practice people need to vote with their wallets only then is it going to stop.

Associate
Tom Petersen, NVIDIA, about GeForce RTX pricing: "The market is gonna decide on where this really should sit, but I feel like we pretty comfortably well within a spot that's gonna make gamers delighted"

I am certainly delighted that the pricing on this generation has made it an easy decision for me to skip it :)

Associate
Even some Youtube channels are telling folks not to pre order which surprises me as some of them I thought would have covered Nvidia's back on this one such as Hardware Unboxed.

Soldato
"The Tensor core is basically 10x 1080ti's dedicated to AI which highlights the pure computational power the RTX houses."

Why are people complaining about RTX prices?

There's £8000 worth of 1080Ti's right there!

Bargain!

Soldato
The problem is though people that buy in to this kind of luxury market will buy the 3080 and 3080ti in a years time so that won't matter to them? It's just fuelled by people wanting the new technology and I understand I do but you are only feeding this cycle of extortion. I think it's sad that people are getting priced out of the market now even in the 2070 tier. it's been bad enough with the mining craze prices. I am now one of them and I didn't buy at the last launch of the 1080 at those prices either. While I could buy it I would only end up with buyers remorse because I could do a whole lot more with that money if spent wisely.

If we could get people all to not buy we'd all actually end up with the card at a reasonable price and everyone could benefit but I don't envisage people actually thinking about that or caring enough to make that choice.

The problem is that is what it would take to put a stop to this practice people need to vote with their wallets only then is it going to stop.
Ultimately it'll come down enough people buying them to justify the cost. We could boycott but if NV have poured loads of £ into R&D then we could actually do more damage than good. Gaming GPU's will received less R&D.
I still don't quite understand why people get so upset with something that is really a luxury item. The sheer number of posts/threads in the last 24 hours tells us why NV can push the pricing. We all want them, pure and simple. Do we want them enough to pay the price? That's yet to be seen
We are however rather lucky in that if we own a Pascal based card and not gaming a 4k, we're going to have good enough hardware for a while yet. I think a good strategy for many is to sit this gen out and by next gen the new features will be better utilised and no doubt better implemented in hardware too. Both gaming GPU's and also CPU's have a very good lifespan these days. Pascal is old tat, but still good old tat :D

Back
Top Bottom