• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 Ti SLi Performance @ 3440x1440

Soldato
Hey guys,

Balking at the price of the 2080 Ti. Over here in Thailand I've found a good deal on a new 1080 Ti (sub 500 quid) which is tempting. Was wondering about SLi performance at 3440x1440 since I have the 120hz Alienware monitor. From the little research I've done, the gains seem to be generally very limited. But what have people here found with their own setups? Mainly interested in GTA V, Witcher 3 and the Total War series.

Cheers,

Slop

Caporegime
Don't bother, SLi has been on life-support for a while. Just not worth it generally for the few games that would utilise it :(

@Raiden85 has a 4k/SLi setup, he might be able to give you some solid info (I know he plays GTA etc) :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the swift responses guys. Looks like I'll be taking a single 1080 Ti for now and wait it out for sanity to resume in pricing for something better. :)

Associate
I had 2 1080's on my 3440x1440 gsync setup, ended up selling one of the cards as it was wasted in sli. For the miniscule gains in some games, the cash was better put to other uses. No regrets here, still using 1 and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon.

Associate
SLI support has been crap lately but in the games I like it supports it and runs great for me, main ones are Destiny 2, The Division, Far Cry 5 and GTA 5 at the moment. Tried maxing out the settings at 4K in The Division and GTA 5 and one card won't maintain 60fps 100% of the time so I need two cards.

Ubisoft has been very unpredictable with SLI lately, SLI has worked fine in pretty much all AC games but AC Origins was the first not to support it yet Far Cry 5 supported SLI at launch :confused:. Christ knows if The Division 2 will support it, but if it doesn't I probably won't be able to max it out as I can now at 4K and maintain 60fps pretty much 99% of the time.

Soldato
Used to be a big proponent of SLI, have had GTX 470 SLI, 680 SLI and 970 SLI but that's when support and performance trailed off and vowed to never do it again.

Which is a shame cos it looks so cool:) single card less hassle overall and smoother performance although like I said sli used to be smooth too when I advocated it.

Associate
I had a Titan X Pascal SLI setup for about 6 months or so and during that time I also had the 21:9 34" G-Sync ASUS Ultra-wide monitor.
As others have said don't bother. For the vast majority of the time the 2nd GPU utilization was hovering around 0%. SLI just hasn't been getting any proper love and support for years now. Dying a slow death though Nvidia's making noises about renewing their support for it with the new Turing generation. Me thinks that's more to lessen the performance penalty for Ray Tracing than anything else though...

Out of interest I sold the Ultra-Wide monitor and went back to 16:9 format. I just hated those vertical black bars that were present whenever a game didn't support 3440x1440.
Also I have noticed some engines just run better on 16:9, more fluid to your eye I mean, nothing to do with frames per second, hard to explain but 'Dishonored 2' is a good example.
A single Titan XP (+200Hz on the core) was enough to drive 3440x1440 on average between 80 - 100fps on most games with max details and some Anti-Aliasing. So a single 1080Ti will be fine. Don't worry.

G-Sync is great though. Would never buy a monitor again without it. Can't be doing with screen tearing.

These days I just use a single graphics card. Overclocked / watercooled and no more SLI for me. I was a SLI supporter since 2008. Shame but the cost of these new cards makes SLI a non issue unless I win the lotto or sell that kidney on Ebay :p

Last edited:
Associate
A single 1080ti is great for me. It runs settings high enough on my 4K monitor no problem. If I was to upgrade it would be to a gsync monitor, which can be a problem to get hold of here in Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom