• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
According to Legit Reviews:

"We haven't been told yet and no one has gotten cards. Even the AIB's don't have final game ready drivers, so no one knows performance and that is why it isn't leaking out. All the drives that are out there are nerfed and are for production testing only."

Exactly, really not worth reading into anything yet

Soldato
Ultimately defeats the point of having RTX as I would only use it in a glamorous single player game. I would expect 4k HDR 60fps for that. As for any competitive / multiplayer game I wouldn't bother using ray tracing or in some cases even Ultra settings. So for majority of the games I personally play I expect, as most others, performance gains in terms of FPS at higher resolutions. If we get both I am not bothered and am more curious about this deep learning / AI implementation.

It's going to be tough to guess at performance from a 1080p benchmark on a tech that we don't know much about, so it probably wasn't a fair question :p

IMO, I am guessing that the 2070 will be faster than the 1080, the 2080 will be slightly faster than the 1080ti and the 2080ti will be 20-30% faster than the 1080ti. Talking about normal games here.

Associate
It's going to be tough to guess at performance from a 1080p benchmark on a tech that we don't know much about, so it probably wasn't a fair question :p

IMO, I am guessing that the 2070 will be faster than the 1080, the 2080 will be slightly faster than the 1080ti and the 2080ti will be 20-30% faster than the 1080ti. Talking about normal games here.

Well said as I am expecting those rough estimates as well, although am a bit shocked still at the listed specs in terms of cores x clock.

Soldato
According to Legit Reviews:

"We haven't been told yet and no one has gotten cards. Even the AIB's don't have final game ready drivers, so no one knows performance and that is why it isn't leaking out. All the drives that are out there are nerfed and are for production testing only."

All we know at the moment is that the cards can't maintain 60fps at 1080p when ray tracing is enabled in Tomb Raider. The developers say that the game is still been optimised so that should improve.

Soldato
If I'm honest, I just want the best gfx card and I'm willing to shell out for a ti having had 1080 vanilla last gen. I'm in a fortuante position where i can afford this and it looks to me like it will be roghly double the speed of the 1080 making it a great upgrade. Naturally I'll look at benchmarks, but I'm not quite as upset as most people seem to be. I get it's really expensive and I would like it to be cheaper but it's still on a par with a goddam iphone X and its my major hobby, so I just want the best.

Things I'm looking forward to most (assuming it doesnt just randomly suck) palying at locked 4k 60 with everything maxed, having VR working correctly with plenty of headroom to super sample.

Last edited:
Associate
If I'm honest, I just want the best gfx card and I'm willing to shell out for a ti having had 1080 vanilla last gen. I'm in a fortuante position where i cna afford this and it looks to me like it will be roghly double the speed of the 1080 making it a great upgrade. Naturally I'll look at benchmarks, but I'm not quite as upset as most people seem to be. I get its really expensive and I would lie it to be cheaper but it still on a par with a goddam iphone X and its my major hobby, so I just want the best.

Things I'm looking forward to most (assuming it doesnt just randomly suck) palying at locked 4k 60 with everything maxed, having VR working correctly with plenty of headroom to super sample.

Its not bad value if it is twice as fast as a 1080 with dedicated raytracing stuff. If they had released it as a titan with the new cooler and priced it at £1100 then they wouldn't have this backlash. They haven't bothered though and have just let everyone sell it so its a ti, I still don't think there will be a lot of them to go round.

The Anandech article is interesting https://www.anandtech.com/show/13249/nvidia-announces-geforce-rtx-20-series-rtx-2080-ti-2080-2070

I guess those with 1080ti could always sell that and go to the 2080 everyone was expecting anyway for a couple of hundred quid.

Soldato
That's my prediction too, although maybe the 1080Ti will just edge the 2080.

I am concerned this may be the case, but it will dent sales if that is the reality. Many 1080Ti owners will just hang on to their cards, given the only upgrade option would be forking out another £600 or so (on top of the resale value of their cards) for the 2080Ti. Needless to say, this is a huge amount of money, and many people will balk at the idea. But another couple hundred for a 2080 that gives them 10-15% improvement, while it may not be the best value, it's a pill far more will be able to swallow. I'd like to think Nvidia know this too, but we shall see...

Soldato
Its not bad value if it is twice as fast as a 1080 with dedicated raytracing stuff. If they had released it as a titan with the new cooler and priced it at £1100 then they wouldn't have this backlash. They haven't bothered though and have just let everyone sell it so its a ti, I still don't think there will be a lot of them to go round.

Actually I don't think they could have done that. IF they released it at that price and called it a Titan, only the Titan buyers would have bought one. All the rest of the people would have waited for the Ti version, especially since the 2080 is only a little faster than the 1080ti.

Caporegime

The Anandech article is interesting https://www.anandtech.com/show/13249/nvidia-announces-geforce-rtx-20-series-rtx-2080-ti-2080-2070

I guess those with 1080ti could always sell that and go to the 2080 everyone was expecting anyway for a couple of hundred quid.

They couldn’t call the 2080Ti a Titan as then the 2080 would have to be called a 2080Ti and if that card’s performance doesn’t beat a 1080Ti it all looks a bit daft.

So they took the hit and put all the prices up a tier instead.

Associate
Actually I don't think they could have done that. IF they released it at that price and called it a Titan, only the Titan buyers would have bought one. All the rest of the people would have waited for the Ti version, especially since the 2080 is only a little faster than the 1080ti.

They couldn’t call the 2080Ti a Titan as then the 2080 would have to be called a 2080Ti and if that card’s performance doesn’t beat a 1080Ti it all looks a bit daft.

So they took the hit and put all the prices up a tier instead.

Looking at the response from 1080ti owners it seems most of them are going to wait anyway, and 2080 was always going to be called that. I do wonder if they have left room for them to launch a GTX 2080 & GTX 2080ti later on without RTX and just using standard shaders giving whatever the performance boost is but at a lower price replacing 1080 & 1080ti. Presumably a good time to launch that would be just before any AMD launch.

Back
Top Bottom