Extension Cables & Plugs

Soldato
Hi all!

I'm getting my living room in shape and have a question regarding extension cables & plugs.

I have just the one socket on the wall where my TV is on, so I have bought a 1m 6 socket surge protected extension cable for all the gadgets, such as; router, Virgin Box, Playstation, TV etc.

I have punched a hole in the wall where my TV is mounted, and punched another hole down where the TV stand sits (so the cables are hidden in the wall).

I have two problems I need to solve:

1. TV Plug - So I need to feed the power cable for the TV through the hole and out the hole down the bottom. I have put a double socket back box into both the holes, and plan to put a cover on it that just lets the cables pull through a hole - Like this. I currently only have a small hole in the back box that feeds through cabling, such as HDMI and ethernet, so a plug won't go through. I've thought of a couple of solutions to get the plug down to the bottom hole:
- Cut the plug off and reconnect the plug once I have fed the cable down (I'm worried this will effect a warranty call if I should need it in the future?)
- Cut a giant hole in the back of the back box to feed the plug through

Any thoughts on this?

2. Extension - Once I have the plug down the bottom, it isn't long enough to reach the extension cable. So I was thinking of getting a single socket and single plug extension cable to plug the TV into, and then plug the other end into the 6 socket extension cable. I've heard you shouldn't plug other extension cables into another extension cable, so I wondered if this was OK to do? I thought considering it's just the one socket/plug, that it should be OK?

I've drawn this masterpiece to better explain what I want to do :p

muNLUsQ.png

Any advise with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Marky

Last edited:
Associate
Plugging extension into extension is fine as long as you keep the total load within the rating of the first extension (probably 13A). You should be fine with a TV and associated devices.

Do you need to cut the plug off, or are you able to unscrew it to disconnect the wires then reconnect once through the hole? No way of telling you'd done that if you don't actually cut anything.

Soldato
OP
Plugging extension into extension is fine as long as you keep the total load within the rating of the first extension (probably 13A). You should be fine with a TV and associated devices.

Do you need to cut the plug off, or are you able to unscrew it to disconnect the wires then reconnect once through the hole? No way of telling you'd done that if you don't actually cut anything.

Good news about the extension cable :) Thanks for that

Regarding the TV Plug - I believe it's a molded plug, so I'd need to replace it if I had to cut it off - It's also not something I can disconnect from the TV, the cable is connected to the TV internally :(

Don
Can't you run the single socket Extension up through to the hole at the top and then plug in there (rather than getting the TV plug down).

You can then take the plug off the single socket extension to thread it through as required.

edit: lol beaten
ku7kwnh.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can't you run the single socket Extension up through to the hole at the top and then plug in there (rather than getting the TV plug down).

You can then take the plug off the single socket extension to thread it through as required.

edit: lol beaten
ku7kwnh.png

I was thinking the same
kR7TcT4.png

Ah! I didn't think of this method! Good thinking. I just chop the socket off the cable, reconnect once I have thread the cable up to the top hole, and plug the TV in! :)

Thanks guys :) Problem solved! :D

Soldato
OP
Many extension leads are rewireable at one end or the other.

Yeah sorry I just have "Chop off the socket" in my head :p I mean't disconnect and re-connect really :p

I love the pictures in here :D

OP - Also pick up a cable tidy kit and use the fixings to attach the cable to the wall above the skirting board to make it neater.

Hahah :p :D

I hopefully will have no cables visible in the end - I have a BESTA Ikea unit that I've attached to the wall, with the cables coming in from the back of the unit :D The socket and extension cable will also be hidden inside the unit :D

I'll be posting it in the man jobs thread once I am happy it's all finished :p

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Only here for the pictures :D

When you say punched a hole, I'm hoping you mean a neatly sawn hole rather than a fist shaped hole in the wall. Pop a couple of plaster board back boxes in and some brush faceplates to tidy it up https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Aerials_Index/Brush_Faceplate/index.html#Brush_Faceplate

Also have you considered a socket converter https://www.toolstation.com/shop/El...ng+Accessories/sd2633/Socket+Converter/p89978
You'll only need the one extension then for the TV.

Back
Top Bottom