When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
We're moving toward an electric car market.

Overall, the number of electric vehicles on UK roads is still a tiny proportion of the total number of registered cars. Out of 26 million cars, around 37,500 are EV. So still a way to go.

Soldato
I've got 3.5 years left on my PCP. Either then, or after the next deal. I think the decision will be tough in 3.5 years, I think it will be a no brainer in 7.5.

Soldato
Another thing to consider is the benefit in kind tax on company cars drops to 2% for EVs in a couple of years. I imagine there will be a huge backlog of demand when this happens and that will drive a fair amount of adoption.

Caporegime
I’d imagine I’ll be a pensioner by the time they are truly viable and affordable by which time I probably won’t be able to afford one due to being a pensioner anyway! :p

Soldato
I'd love to go now but with a baby on the way no spare money to upgrade the car otherwise i'd be looking at getting a 2nd hand leaf now.

But when we do need to change either of our cars in a few years i've already said i don't think i'll buy another ICE car and hope my next purchase to be electric.

Man of Honour
How often do you drive more than 100 miles in a day?

I would say for me maybe once a year. Which is why I think the best combo for a household is one electric car and a hybrid for longer distances.

Not the range in a single journey, but the range on a "refill". I fill the tank and it's good for a couple weeks. Maybe when we can do that with a battery.. More of a convenience thing. Charging the car after every trip just seems faff.

Caporegime
Not the range in a single journey, but the range on a "refill". I fill the tank and it's good for a couple weeks. Maybe when we can do that with a battery.. More of a convenience thing. Charging the car after every trip just seems faff.

That is never going to happen. Well not unless some crazy breakthrough happens.

Also charging the car after a trip isn't a faff. You just plug it in as you do your smartphone every day.

I’d imagine I’ll be a pensioner by the time they are truly viable and affordable by which time I probably won’t be able to afford one due to being a pensioner anyway! :p

Nissan leaf and BMW i3 are pretty cheap. Especially second hand. It's only Tesla and the likes which are dear but Tesla model 3 will only be $35K and they promise to have a $25K car within 3-5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
when ev's become convenient enough to replace ic, or until forced.

i'm still of a mind that on a global scale a lot more could be done for reducing emissions than replacing personal transport (lets start with the aviation industry, the maritime industry and the power generation industry)

when i can buy a 15 year old electric car that'll do 400 miles to a charge for £1500 i'll consider it.

Associate
Not enough interesting choices for sensible prices. You'll pay 35k+ for basically a fridge on wheels (like an i3), no thanks.

Couldn't put it any better, once they start making affordable attractive EV cars then i shall be interested. Until then, i shall stick with my V8

Soldato
when ev's become convenient enough to replace ic, or until forced.

i'm still of a mind that on a global scale a lot more could be done for reducing emissions than replacing personal transport (lets start with the aviation industry, the maritime industry and the power generation industry)

when i can buy a 15 year old electric car that'll do 400 miles to a charge for £1500 i'll consider it.

Assuming the batteries are still good after 15 years, I suspect most will be scrapped before that as it will be to expensive to replace them.

Soldato
I spent a good couple of hrs driving around in a Tesla last week. My neighbour bought one, who's an older lady and said please take it, learn it and teach me what i need to know. So off i went. Yeah it was fast. Heaps of torque, but i just didn't enjoy it. Single gear, exhausting engine braking, even with regenerative braking turned to off. Just didn't enjoy the experience. I currently drive a Golf Gti in 6MT and love it cos i have to row through the gears, somewhat of a rarity where i live (in the US) and even with these dual clutch transmissions appearing everywhere which are faster than MT's, i actually much prefer and enjoy driving stick as appose to autos, and EV is taking us even further away from that. But now in my late 40's, at least i've had a good run of over 30yrs and probably another 10-15yrs of still being able to row through the gears if im in a new car !

So in answer to the OP, hopefully NEVER ! maybe when in my 70s when we all seem to get into classics, i'll have 3 pedals and none of this drive for you nonsense !

Back
Top Bottom