*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
ER8 arrived today but I can't play with it until a UK to C5 plug comes tomorrow. Not stressed though, got a couple of weeks to fiddle with it before my internet goes live.

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials or user guides for the Ubiquiti's so I'm not bothering this thread constantly for the next few months?
He uses an ER4 in this but it should cover most of what you'll need to get going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixnkags8v-0

Associate
I have the ER-Lite and my download speeds are weird recently. Speedtest shows my full speed which is great, but downloading things like NVIDIA drivers are grinding to a halt.

7569059584.png

Despite this, I can download NVIDIA drivers at 2.2 MB/s and it's driving me mad figuring out what it is. Services like Steam seem to download at "reasonable" speed (around 20 MB/s) but I'll be damned if I can get more than 2.5 MB/s from NVIDIA. Any tips on what to troubleshoot and check? Router is on the latest firmware, I'm planning on nuking the config tonight and setting it up from scratch as I have an inkling that there might be some issues from upgrading the firmware over time. TIA.

Associate
Despite this, I can download NVIDIA drivers at 2.2 MB/s and it's driving me mad figuring out what it is. Services like Steam seem to download at "reasonable" speed (around 20 MB/s) but I'll be damned if I can get more than 2.5 MB/s from NVIDIA. Any tips on what to troubleshoot and check? Router is on the latest firmware, I'm planning on nuking the config tonight and setting it up from scratch as I have an inkling that there might be some issues from upgrading the firmware over time. TIA.

Sounds more like your ISP is doing traffic shaping, you should get way more than 20 MB/s from Steam.

Soldato
I'm with Sure in Jersey as well, be thankful you get such good speeds from speedtest. I only get this...

7541043818.png

That said I can download from Steam at up to 51MB/s

Associate
So just as an update to my woes, I reset the router on Tuesday night and did some testing. Results were exactly the same. Decided to call the ISP on Wednesday morning just for the giggles more than anything, they said that there was no way it was them, no traffic shaping ect and that it would be a charge to me to have an engineer come around and find it's not their service.

Well, I did some testing when I got home and much to my surprise everything appears to be working fine again.

uberfixedinternet.png

So I guess be lazy, blame the ISP without testing any other router and just watch as your internet magically fixes itself I guess?

Soldato
Can you suggest a way I can test a download from nvidia, when I try to download those drivers on my Windows 10 system it finishes the download too quickly for me to see the transfer speed as the 490MB downloads in a couple of seconds.

EDIT: Its OK I downloaded a 10Gbit test file from http://proof.ovh.net/files/ and got this...

2v9534p.png

Last edited:
Associate
Got a problem here I'm hoping is an easy fix...

https://imgur.com/a/b5QGCP1

Got a HG612 with a BT broadband connection, using the modem in pppoe mode with an Asus router works fine, homehub6 works fine. Throw it in pppoe mode with a usg and it seems to get a WAN connection...

I've tried the ethernet cable into a unifi switch hanging off LAN1 or directly in the port and while I can SSH into the USG to confirm the link is working there's no access to the WAN from the LAN port.

As demonstrated the WAN seems to work via SSH, can ping and resolve domains, and I have an IP address assigned by BT.

But I just can't get that to filter on down to the switch connected to it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
What are you trying to achieve? I don't understand what you mean by 'there's no access to the WAN from the LAN port'

Is there effectively no internet access for clients on the LAN side of the USG?

As for the error in your picture, when your SSH'd into the USG issue the 'info' command and check it has the right IP address for yoru UniFi controller.

Associate
Don't have a controller on the network at the moment, trying to download a new copy of the controller software to do so.

And yes I can't get any internet access on the LAN side of the USG, but I know it's working on the USG as I can firstly SSH into it and then secondly confirm WAN connectivity from that terminal.

Back
Top Bottom