Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
I have no issues with packet loss on an SH3 in modem mode
The lunchtime spike was due to some steam downloads

34cc82d55aa094a83ccfd6cf09b20cfb1a9ac815-26-08-2018.png

34cc82d55aa094a83ccfd6cf09b20cfb1a9ac815-26-08-2018

Soldato
OK, so I *think* I've sussed why I wasn't getting full speed out of Vivid 350. I've turned modem mode off and using the SH3 over Ethernet I'm getting pretty much full speed and certainly more than in modem mode. So that has me particularly confused. I refuse to believe my Netgear D7000 can't hack it.

I can't live with this SH3 for WiFi though. Christ on a bike, it's slow.

Permabanned
OK, so I *think* I've sussed why I wasn't getting full speed out of Vivid 350. I've turned modem mode off and using the SH3 over Ethernet I'm getting pretty much full speed and certainly more than in modem mode. So that has me particularly confused. I refuse to believe my Netgear D7000 can't hack it.

What are you using to connect to the wifi on the computer side?

Soldato
On the SH3? All sorts. MacBook Pro, Lenovo laptop, Dell desktop, a couple of iPhones, couple of Android tablets. The WiFi's just.....rubbish. The MacBook Pro's basically used like a desktop so doesn't move. File transfers off my NAS are chalk and cheese when switching between the two routers. The big question here I suppose is why can't the Netgear max the line out when the SH3 is in modem mode?

Soldato
To get "max" speed I need to use 5ghz band and appropriate hardware on the PC side (ac 1900 wifi adapter).

Yep, all those things were in place.

Anyway, I've managed to get full Ethernet speeds over the Netgear now after factory resetting both it and the SH3 so I've now got proper WiFi speeds and full Vivid350 speeds over Ethernet, too. All good.

Soldato

I ditched the SH3 WiFi a long time ago and use a UniFi Access point and all my WiFi problems disappeared

Soldato
I have no issues with packet loss on an SH3 in modem mode
The lunchtime spike was due to some steam downloads

34cc82d55aa094a83ccfd6cf09b20cfb1a9ac815-26-08-2018.png

34cc82d55aa094a83ccfd6cf09b20cfb1a9ac815-26-08-2018

I'm having some serious issues with random service disconnections that Virgin state are nothing to do with the service on their end and have been looking for some software to analyse the connection during use.

This looks like it could do the job, what software is it??

I've searched firebrick but it appears to be some sort of external networking device?

Associate
Just called to push my cancellation back a couple of weeks and give them a chance at hooking me for another 12/18 months.
Still no interest, best they could do was £42 / month for 100MB and phone, or £35 for 100MB with no phone.
Much disappoint :(

Associate
Just called to push my cancellation back a couple of weeks and give them a chance at hooking me for another 12/18 months.
Still no interest, best they could do was £42 / month for 100MB and phone, or £35 for 100MB with no phone.
Much disappoint :(

It's just pathetic the way they and others treat existing customers. They got a massive ***** on with us as I cancelled my 350MB and talk weekends as they pushed the price up to £55 and then took out a new customer offer in my partners name for the exact same package at £42 a month. They turned my line off and refused to reactivate it or bring the new start date forward so we just went without for 2 weeks.

They messed the initial order up so we had to reorder hence the delay. They said we weren't allowed to get a new customer offer for the same household but in reality there is nothing they can do.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I had exactly the same. Was on 200mbit for a year and then they were putting the price up to something silly and wouldn't even come close to the price on the website.

I think they wanted £50+ or something. As my sky sub was ending (full package) we just signed up to VIP at £79 in my wife's name plus £125 through topcashback so made a massive saving, have all I had with sky plus bt sport and 350mbit as well, so overalls better .

Had about a week crossover.

Soldato
My 100mb line was averaging 31mb last night at midnight. They put my bill up £8 without telling me so I phoned to cancel and all they would offer was a £1 discount so I told them to stick it. I'm expecting they'll call back nearer the time but if they don't I'll either switch or just take a new contract in my wifes name.

Soldato
Just rang up to cancel. I have spent 3 months liaising with a Virgin Media sales rep doing site visits, getting my new neighbours to sign up to Virgin just so they can commission the work to get Virgin to our houses only to be told twice now that after further site visits the work required has pushed it over budget so they can not proceed.

Since I am in contract I have to pay £126 for the privilege.

Back
Top Bottom