Are there any decent retro console remakes? List inside..

Man of Honour
After the Speccy Vega thread I was wondering if there have been any decent retro remakes of console or computers? Quite a few have come out in recent years but to me the vast majority are junk.

Here is a list of the ones I know - feel free to add more and I'll update the list. I don't own any but my comments are below based on watching a bunch of videos on them.

• C64 Mini (Retro Games Ltd, website)
  • Nintendo Classic Mini (Nintendo, website)
  • SNES Classic Mini (Nintendo, website)
  • Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus (Retro Computers, website)
  • SuperNT (Analogue, website)
  • 8BitDo Controllers (8BitDo, website)

Those are the first few that come to mind. I had high hopes for the C64 mini however the size and fake keyboard were a joke. It came with a reasonable amount of games (60 odd) but even though I had a C64c back in the day, I only recognise maybe 2-3 games on the list. I'm not a massive fan of NES or Sega consoles but if either of those had a good release with the vast majority of games included then I would be interested. It looks from what I gather the NES and SNES remakes are fairly decent efforts, as you would expect from Nintendo, but still few games included (20-30) unless you mod/add your own which I thought wouldn't be their target market.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think the Analogue Super Nt is the pinnacle of the remake products up to this point. The quality of the build and focus on making it accurate to the smallest degree is superb.

27362696618_ed140ea855_h.jpg

28474370918_1d4d22a856_k.jpg

Modding market has now seen you able to run games of the SD card if that is your thing too and the way it works and quality of picture on modern TV's makes it a must have for any SNES fan.

Man of Honour
Is the upscaling on these remake consoles any better than Raspberry Pi does via software?

I can't comment as a comparison, but I have an Nt and Framemeister and they offer many options to create the perfect picture on a 1080p screen. I have not tired them on my 4K TV's but don't doubt the picture on those will be epic. The advantage of the Nt is it's not emulation in Software, it's emulation in Hardware and many of the issues that afflict both emulators and the remake mini devices and some SNES original hardware(!) are removed by the Nt and can be fixed. The Suer Nt also provides the ability to run all variations of cartridge and all add on cartridges, such as those for the handheld devices and will again run those games to perfection.

For me this is now the standard for retro redesign.

Associate
I think the Analogue Super Nt is the pinnacle of the remake products up to this point. The quality of the build and focus on making it accurate to the smallest degree is superb.

27362696618_ed140ea855_h.jpg

28474370918_1d4d22a856_k.jpg

Modding market has now seen you able to run games of the SD card if that is your thing too and the way it works and quality of picture on modern TV's makes it a must have for any SNES fan.
Where did you purchase your one from, if overseas was there import duty on top?

Man of Honour
I bought it off the Analogue website when it came out. I don't recall there being any additional costs on top of delivery.

Back
Top Bottom