**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Soldato
That worked!
What's the best way to copy contacts/bookmarks/apps from the Samsung to the Huawei?
Not too worried about photo's etc.

Contact just via your Google account, apps are a different thing and Google really are garbage in this area, Apple are way ahead with the seemless icloud backups. Titanium Backup is what I use but you'll need an SD card or a Online storage.
Bookmarks I just backup to Google via Chrome then import them into Samsung Browser from Chrome, I'm sure there are better ways though.

Soldato
got mine a few days ago . Took the offer with the "freebuds" on ee 20gb data unlimited calls and texts for £31 . So far loving the phone but the 3rd party said i ordered my phone to late and missed the freebuds offer . Kicked up a stink as it was still on there website a day after i ordered it and they sent me Some Sony wf1000x buds .. which are very good .

Still waiting for my number to port over so not used it in anger but lasted 3 days on 1 charge while messing about with it .

Associate
Thinking of moving to Android and like the look of the P20

Should I be going for the Pro of over the P20 or P20 lite? Also, are there likely to be some better deals out there once there is an iPhone announcement presumably in the next couple of weeks?

Associate
Google really are garbage in this area, Apple are way ahead with the seemless icloud backups.

There's some responsibility on the part of app developers to implement app data backups as well though, which I think have been baked into the OS for a while now:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/backup

It's obviously taken Google a while to catch up to how good iOS is in this respect, but they've at least tried! Developers though, pull lyour fingers out, the masses want seamless app restore...

On an "on topic" post though, Mrs whiskycycle has pilfered my P20 Pro... hmph

Soldato
Contact just via your Google account, apps are a different thing and Google really are garbage in this area, Apple are way ahead with the seemless icloud backups.

I don't know if I'm imaging/mis-remembering this, but I swear that when I upgraded from my Galaxy S3 to S5 a few years ago, all the apps I'd had downloaded were automatically downloaded from the Play store again. The last two Android phones I've had (both this year) I had to go into my library of apps, remember which ones I was actually using at the time and re-download them manually. Which was a pain. Has Google actually got worse at this? Or was I benefiting from some arcane Samsung feature I wasn't aware of?

Google contacts takes care of contacts well enough, as others have said, and it's nicely integrated into Gmail if you use that.

SMS+ backup is good for, well, backing up and restoring messages.

Chrome can quite seamlessly sync bookmarks across devices, but with other browsers you'll have to check what options there are.

Thinking of moving to Android and like the look of the P20

Should I be going for the Pro of over the P20 or P20 lite? Also, are there likely to be some better deals out there once there is an iPhone announcement presumably in the next couple of weeks?

Depends what your priorities are. Pro if you want the best camera - well, basically if you want the best low-light shots and the best optical and hybrid zoom. There's no denying both are pretty great features, but it's hard to justify the Pro over the plain P20 for any other reason, imho. I do still miss the great camera on my sadly departed P20 Pro, but having to pay up front for replacement phone there's no way it was worth the extra cost to me.

Mobster
Soldato
There's some responsibility on the part of app developers to implement app data backups as well though, which I think have been baked into the OS for a while now:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/backup

It's obviously taken Google a while to catch up to how good iOS is in this respect, but they've at least tried! Developers though, pull lyour fingers out, the masses want seamless app restore...

On an "on topic" post though, Mrs whiskycycle has pilfered my P20 Pro... hmph

On iOS though, they don't need the developers on board, it simply backs up the entire system. Why Google are incapable of implementing it when rooted apps can do it, nobody will ever know.

Soldato
Freebuds arrived, decided to keep them as I missed having a set of earphones since losing my bone conducting set. In ear taking a while to get used to. Connected easily enough and sound quality good for free wireless but I wouldn't have paid anywhere near full price for them. Biggest issue is the 1.5s lag between sound and on screen so not suitable for video/youtube watching.

Soldato
Why on earth is there lag? I have Bluetooth headphones and they don't lag.

I was gutted to miss the free buds offer and was going to buy some as loads going on flea bay due to people getting them and not wanting them.

Associate
Got my P20 Pro last night, only made £5 a month different on my contract for the pro so decided to go for it

I've seen on Funky Huawei you can convert from single to dual sim. Does this process wipe the phone?

Sgarrista
Commissario
Any else started having any battery issues? I seem to have gone from 2-3 days between charges, feels like im barely going a day right now.

Associate
...Should I be going for the Pro of over the P20 or P20 lite?

Had the P20 Lite for a few weeks, then got a deal on the P20 - the camera on the Lite does struggle in low light, only bad thing I have to say about it. I preferred the fingerprint reader on the Lite, over the one on the P20, though I've got used to it now. There are some good deals on the P20/pro at the moment - if you're not fussed about the camera and want to buy outright, nothing wrong with the Lite...

Back
Top Bottom