**** The Official Sony XZ2 Premium Thread ****

Associate
Been after an upgrade for ages and found this phone. Ordered it Last week and it arrived in 2 days :). Absolute beast of a phone, I'm amazed its gone under the radar really. Its officially going to be released in the uk anytime but oddly it was potentially never going to be sold here. I managed to grab one from overseas for £650 :). Retail price is going to be £800 I believe.

DdFtPGhWgwXwc5zFTGW52IGCjGjmXTR48ULclqfu7M8sAhidE4dUkhVITVAiNlejLPw47_26mPLr_ahMjwgxRCjJee8lLkJUkhDtas-0eNSeUIBZQUSpYHNGmrWVZnpb-o7KMtlKI2R9gJZtdKiUKGtdWzS7WM49qLhnWxVkB2R70dpTUKZMpIjBV_YOpm7WSyxnOYvQvhWX5QxRSr8Gc80d9pBIAaw0MYYbop0Egpnjg9Czuek4mZbjjDCqbg8IzgbsArNTAUU8SRagJDwJF9MxTdonbjdOygG3Mm62kLT-wu8TP2BJBLPMg7bRDqMgOAwfFUxd8bCLgn_lF5efA5UUDAo0acAHWW2UduoRVM2wr1hgoMRWwc-Nrw9sM-gWBuJcRNlPjahN39kbjKU9_VxmEA8GU-j3I3NxY3H-MxrUDmul8-LO_sDHCU_HGWlNw3W-rRjtIimKqefOyjl4AxXS61psMv9-VKhb9Dl0XbhZEzgbDzjm94B1YMX9cNXnSozuV2Tv_eL93G2s-Floatp5LRSBipqDjw8ksIqyPJKe0Bwt3JJECr6_hHK3tqYDNoElIOOu0S9w-ghcUXUKKZi6uz27q67_6f_c8tC6EpxcT2xFZaj7NRksQG2k0ag=w887-h656-no

Main Features:

• 5.8 inch 4k HDR Triluminos Display
  • Cutting edge Dual camera with 51200 ISO photo and 12800 ISO video delivered by combining the sensors using an AUBE fusion image signal processor, & Bionz image processing engine.
  • Memory stacked image sensor 960FPS slow motion FHD.
  • First 4k HDR enabled video recording.
  • Stereo front facing DSEE HX, LDAC , FLAC, Qualcomm® aptX™ HD audio, S-force Surround.
  • Dynamic Vibration system Music / video Sync. (I believe dual shock controller vibrators)
  • Wireless charging Qi 3
  • IP68
  • Gorilla Glass 5
  • Battery 3540mAh with Qnovo Adaptive charging and battery care.
  • 6GB of RAM 64GB UFS
  • Snapdragon 845
First time I used the camera I was amazed at low light performance. It can literally see things you cant. I took pictures of sky at night and you can see all the clouds in detail. Stars i couldn't see appeared and I could see my cat sat on the fence in the dark I didn't even know he was there till I pointed the camera. It does a great job at this. Iso related noise is apparent specially in extremely dark areas but it helps improve pictures around dusk immensely images appear almost as if taken in day.

The screen is just amazing but it was pretty good on my z5 premium. and the Front facing speaks are outstanding specially with vibration adding to the depth of bass. watching some UHD videos and the surround sound really works well. you can clearly hear where the sound is coming from and really pops around you.

I'll leave the description at that for the minute as ive had a long day :). interesting to hear what people think of this phone as I was surprised it hasn't been mentioned at all here.

Associate
OP
You can view Youtube in HDR and it looks grrea
Not sure I see the point in powering a 4K display only to render everything, except a few select apps, in 1080P

Its a lot better now, My z5 premium was literally supported by nothing at the time and that was disappointing. Youtube in HDR is amazing and just viewing everything in gallery is great. the support is growing and tbh I like the fact its in 1080 for screen and 4k for content. everything scaled nicely and saves battery.

Soldato
It's not that it's gone under the radar. It's that hardly anyone cares for Sony phones anymore. Like LG, they don't do enough to warrant much recognition.

Soldato
You can view Youtube in HDR and it looks grrea

Its a lot better now, My z5 premium was literally supported by nothing at the time and that was disappointing. Youtube in HDR is amazing and just viewing everything in gallery is great. the support is growing and tbh I like the fact its in 1080 for screen and 4k for content. everything scaled nicely and saves battery.

It doesn't really make a difference to the battery, as you still have to light up all 8.3m pixels. Would be great if they could find a way to activate the extra pixels when needed rather than just render in 4K

Soldato
Tell tale sign is the lack of posts and how late this thread was posted.
The alleged press renders of it on GSM arena do look interesting. No notch, reduced bezels, some evidence of a slight curve on the screen, comes in red. Pie straight out of the box.
Full announcement later on today.

Soldato
The alleged press renders of it on GSM arena do look interesting. No notch, reduced bezels, some evidence of a slight curve on the screen, comes in red. Pie straight out of the box.
Full announcement later on today.
Ah the XZ3. Sorry I got mixed up, thought you were on about the this phone the XZ2p. Yeah that does look better, but they really need to nail the camera, price and updates.

Soldato
Ah the XZ3. Sorry I got mixed up, thought you were on about the this phone the XZ2p. Yeah that does look better, but they really need to nail the camera, price and updates.
Ah yeah makes sense given the thread title.
The camera software always seems to be the Achilles heel with Sony phones.. or at least used to be. Updates I thought they were pretty good with?

Soldato
Ah yeah makes sense given the thread title.
The camera software always seems to be the Achilles heel with Sony phones.. or at least used to be. Updates I thought they were pretty good with?

They just need to be all round better to standout. Given their light skin they should get big updates out within 60 days, and be on point with security updates. Also I'd wish they'd move over to oled on their flagships, and a big battery.

Edit - it uses OLED so that's great, until I heard it was curved.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assumed sony? Almost ticks all the boxes but not quite. 4gb ram, curved screen and the shutter response in the videos I've seen looks slow af..

Soldato
Assumed sony? Almost ticks all the boxes but not quite. 4gb ram, curved screen and the shutter response in the videos I've seen looks slow af..

I've read that its P-OLED, so I'm guessing an LG panel.

And going by the first reviews it seems to be a good screen. Fingers crossed the new Pixels fair the same given the same screen supplier.

Soldato
I've read that its P-OLED, so I'm guessing an LG panel.

And going by the first reviews it seems to be a good screen. Fingers crossed the new Pixels fair the same given the same screen supplier.
Yeah I had no idea Sony didn't actually make their displays / screens! Live and learn...

Permabanned
It's not that it's gone under the radar. It's that hardly anyone cares for Sony phones anymore. Like LG, they don't do enough to warrant much recognition.

Like what? What exactly do Samsung and Apple do more that warrants recognition? Samsung displays are weird and fake...

Back
Top Bottom