Are Samsung heatpump dryers any good?

Soldato
We recently bought a Samsung washer and were pleased with it, so are now thinking of buying a matching dryer. This model, or the 8kg version, in graphite to match the washing machine.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/laundry/tumble-dryer-dv90k6000cx/

I was all set to order, but then noticed some bad 1 star reviews on Samsungs site.

Purchased this all singing and dancing machine but you have to put anything on about 3times for it to dry then it locks its self so you cant change settings or begin using it again to dry the wet clothes that have already been in for God knows how long....... Going to be taking this back and getting a refund

Looks good, very quiet but totally useless. The laundry takes forever to dry and usually after 3+ hours is still damp. The only cycle I can use is the very hot one and even then a lot of the laundry is still coming out damp. I would not recommend a condensing dryer to anyone, there is little point having a +++ rating if you land up using twice as much electric to dry your clothes.

I'm guessing these two guys received a dryer with a dead heat pump? It seems odd for a £680 dryer to take 3+ hours to dry a 9kg load of washing unless it was doa. But have to say this has made me a bit weary.

Anyone got one? Or know if they're any good? Or alternatively a recommendation for a darkish coloured dryer that is decent would be great.

Thanks

Associate
got a heat pump dryer , takes about 3 hours to dry (if your lucky) - never bothered to look how much more energy efficient it is in real time.

All i can tell you is this - if you want an item dryed quick i.e work shirt, it wont do it until your back home!

Soldato
Heat pump driers typically dry at lower temperatures and take longer, though are still more energy efficient per dry overall I think. The side effect of this is that many people mentally associate the clothes being hot in a normal drier with being dry - with a heat pump drier the clothes often won't feel hot at the end of the cycle and some people misinterpret this cooler temperature as remaining dampness.

I can't comment on that specific drier, maybe the clothes are coming out damp but I've never had a 'damp' load in our Beko heat pump drier. My partner has occasionally doubted this, put it on an extra 30min or 60min cycle and then seen no moisture has been removed into the tank during that cycle, as the clothes were actually dry the first time. She has now learned to trust that is dry even though its not hot.

As mentioned above though, quick they are not, due to the lower temperature operating method.

Soldato
I’ve noticed this with my parents condenser (non-heatpump).

Stuff comes out and still feels ‘damp’ but within a minute or two it’s actually dry if you just let it air quickly.

Soldato
As Kenai says -- We have a AEG one and mostly use low heat setting which takes about 90 min and yes sometimes they feel damp but are not. - one good thing is when clothes dry before time up it turns off and resorts to anti crease slow tumble.

It is our first dryer so we have nothing to compare it by - now 8 yrs old but it is only used on wet days - We use the rotary in garden.

Are we happy with it - got to be a Yes!

Soldato
I have two dryers in the house. A cheap Beko non-condensing dryer and a Beko Heat Pump dryer...

I personally prefer the Non-Condesning dryer by a country mile. I hate the heat pump dryer with a passion. Clothes are often not dry coming out after nearly 3 hours (filters cleaned before each cycle) and need to go on again. Yes the clothes are cool when they are dry and not warm/hot (as mentioned by others) with the non-condensing but the for minimal cost difference I'll keep the non-condensing dryer until it dies.

Luckily I'm only babysitting the Beko HP Dryer until my bro moves into his new pad.

Edit: I think this is the HP dryer: https://ao.com/product/dhr73431w-beko-heat-pump-tumble-dryer-white-36590-126.aspx

Soldato
Our Samsung heat pump seems to work mostly okay. But the odd time it just doesn't dry the load, I don't think it handles sheets very well either they just ball up.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, I think I need to do a bit more research on heat pump dryers. We do use the dryer a lot and often need clothes drying fast, so I'm not sure a heat pump dryer would be ideal for us if it takes longer. Plus I wouldn't want to listen to a dryer all day, although the Samsung model is supposed to be quiet. Also I like to quickly warm my clothes up on cold winter mornings as I'm a big wuss.

If it was up to me i'd just keep our current dryer, but apparently it doesn't match and looks out of place now. It is C rated, which seems to be the same as all the current vented dryers and we have had it over 10 years and there are still parts available and they are really cheap. I'm tempted to just spray it grey lol.

Soldato
If you're looking for quick and to warm things up, a heat pump dryer isn't for you I don't think. As you've seen, there is a limit to how efficient a vented dryer will be, the tech can't compensate that much when you're actively ejecting the heat that you're generating - that uses a lot of energy however you try to do it.

Not sure on the finish of what you're trying to match but maybe a vinyl sheet might be an alternative to spraying? I can image paint not sticking to gloss plastics particularly robustly and looking really rough after a few months of buttons and zips chipping bits of the edges as you load/unload it.

Associate
We have the Beko one, as with two children and a B&B properties worth of bedding to do it's used all the time!

Far faster than our older vented bosch drier and has made a noticible difference in our energy bills. Assuming it doesn't break, it should pay for itself in just over a year

Soldato
I don't have a heat pump dryer but our Bosch condenser needed a settings adjustment so it was actually fully drying the clothes, most modern driers rely on a sensor and it needs adjusting to suit your environment which I'm guessing is also the case with heat pump jobs.

Soldato
OP
Are condensing dryers a good middle ground then? Do they warm the clothes up and dry faster than heat pump dryers? We have a hole through the wall, but would ideally like to put a dishwasher there and move the dryer. It was a real PITA cutting the hole, so if I can avoid that with a condensing dryer it would be preferable.

I notice they're B rated, which is a slight improvement if they still dry the same as a vented model.

Back
Top Bottom