The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Thanks. It's not that another property is completely out, still checking rightmove each day but finding one to suit our needs is very difficult, if we had unlimited funds to completely re-work a property then it would be easier but we don't. The only problem is actually buying the place, once its ours its all good but just can't figure out why the developer would suddenly go quiet. Hoping the letter gets a response, we've said they have until 24th August to get all docs in place for exchange otherwise we will reduce our offer weekly to counteract the extra costs we are taking due to the delays. Whether this even gets a response I doubt it but fingers crossed!
Any update on this? Interested to see if you got it resolved

Soldato
Any update on this? Interested to see if you got it resolved

Yes, we actually had an update Monday after still not hearing anything. Basically in our letter to the seller we said we can understand if there are financial issues in which case if you can't afford to complete the property (carpets, turfing part of the lawn and a few other bits) then lower the price by £15k and we will finish it ourselves. Didn't hear for 2 weeks then Monday an email from their solicitor saying they will lower the price by £15k and get all the paperwork in order! Pleased although I am still holding by breath until we actually get the paperwork and exchanged but otherwise good news. There's obviously some money issues on the seller/developers side so this is a good solution for both parties.

Associate
Well we actually completed on the 20th of august. All moved in now just gotta sort out all the boxes for the different rooms already ripped out a few things here and there and bought lots of paint to do the rooms. Previous owner had painted their bedroom doors and window ledge a horrible mint green they are going back to gloss white asap. Lota of work ahead but I'am not going be moving again for 30-40 years hopefully so plenty of time

Soldato
Yes, we actually had an update Monday after still not hearing anything. Basically in our letter to the seller we said we can understand if there are financial issues in which case if you can't afford to complete the property (carpets, turfing part of the lawn and a few other bits) then lower the price by £15k and we will finish it ourselves. Didn't hear for 2 weeks then Monday an email from their solicitor saying they will lower the price by £15k and get all the paperwork in order! Pleased although I am still holding by breath until we actually get the paperwork and exchanged but otherwise good news. There's obviously some money issues on the seller/developers side so this is a good solution for both parties.
I'll be happy to be proven wrong but this has disaster written all over it.

Ske

Ske

Associate
Completed last week. Hooray!
Moving in this weekend. Last weekend was spent cleaning the house, painting/glossing and tidying the drive & garden.
Just wish I initiated BT earlier.. Activation date is Thursday :(

Associate
So I completed today and picked up the keys this afternoon from the estate agent. Not had chance to pop round yet since will not be moving in for another couple of weeks but will be doing the painting and so on in that time.

Associate
Just wish I initiated BT earlier.. Activation date is Thursday :(

Know exactly what you mean moving my sky packages over was quick for the tv but painfully slow for the fibre on tbe 13th of august( exchange day ) told them of the move on the 20th. Soonest my fibre will be running is the 29th so a week and half with no fibre. Really feeling cut off a little been hammering my data on my phone plan

Soldato
After all that, it turns out Nationwide didn't process it before the cut off yesterday (even though i submitted it well before the 3pm deadline!). Reached the solicitors account at around 11am today.

And....we have now exchanged a whole day early! Completion next Friday on the 31st. Very real now!

Completion day tomorrow. Had a bit of a scare with the lender yesterday requesting some additional information (very odd), however they have confirmed that they will be releasing the funds to the solicitor today (phew!).
Outstanding completion monies also sent over to the solicitor and confirmed as received via CHAPS. Have also paid for the Royal Mail re-direct for 6 months and ordered a new lock!

ADT are coming around on Saturday
Sky TV being installed on Monday
Sky Fibre being activated on Wednesday

Should be good for completion tomorrow morning! I won't lie but I am a bit scared but I am not sure why!

Soldato
Should be good for completion tomorrow morning! I won't lie but I am a bit scared but I am not sure why!
Hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

Had an interesting one yesterday.. Chain of about 4/5 properties with ours being the last. The cowboys at the start of the chain didn't request the mortgage advance the day before completion (which means it can arrive any time during business hours :o). Ended up arriving around 4pm :p Money worked its way up quickly thankfully, our transaction completed at around 5:10 and the mortgage redeemed around 5:25 with 5 minutes to go before the cut off. Fun stuff!

Soldato
Reading some of these stories scares the living bejeesuz out of me. Thankfully i'm in Scotland and don't really have the hassle of gazumping and chains falling down at the last moment.
Five months before I put my bungalow on the market and become completely mortgage free when I move.

Soldato
Reading some of these stories scares the living bejeesuz out of me. Thankfully i'm in Scotland and don't really have the hassle of gazumping and chains falling down at the last moment.
Five months before I put my bungalow on the market and become completely mortgage free when I move.

That’s awesome - can’t imagine what it would be like to not have £900 in mortgage payments disappearing every month from my account lol

Associate

so wish the English system was like the Scottish sounds like its far less stress for everyone and stops the time wasters

Associate
so wish the English system was like the Scottish sounds like its far less stress for everyone and stops the time wasters

The English system is almost unique (in all negative ways) in developed countries. The Scottish system is like US, Australia and the rest of the developed world..

Associate
How does it work in Scotland? I'm not sure I understand the talk of English/Scottish system?

Actually, after a quick read Scotland is not the same as the US and Australia. It's better than the English system but still a bit garbage. In Australia all searches are conducted prior to a property going on sale. This means when a property is on the market it's "ready to be sold there and then". If an offer is accepted then the 10% deposit (sometimes lower not not the norm for residential) is paid immediately or within 7 days (forget now) and at that point the sale is contractually binding. There is no gazumping or hoping it all goes smoothly. If either side breaks the contract then compensation is very enforceable in court.

That's how it should be done!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Actually, after a quick read Scotland is not the same as the US and Australia. It's better than the English system but still a bit garbage. In Australia all searches are conducted prior to a property going on sale. This means when a property is on the market it's "ready to be sold there and then". If an offer is accepted then the 10% deposit (sometimes lower not not the norm for residential) is paid immediately or within 7 days (forget now) and at that point the sale is contractually binding. There is no gazumping or hoping it all goes smoothly. If either side breaks the contract then compensation is very enforceable in court.

That's how it should be done!
I would hope that the contract is able to re negotiated and ultimately broken pending building inspection as per the USA?

Associate
I would hope that the contract is able to re negotiated and ultimately broken pending building inspection as per the USA?

To a very limited extent. There are standard clauses (unless your solicitor is total garbage) for building and pests, i.e. If the description of the condition in the pre-sale conveyancing is fundamentally inaccurate. There's usually a cooling off period of I think a week, possibly two but this often has a penalty attached (0.25% of purchase price is indicative). You can request special conditions as well as part of your offer as well.

What it does mean though is that when offers are made they are usually genuine. None of this speculative garbage in England.

Associate
A number of the houses we have looked at recently have been market-returns thank to chains breaking.
One which was sold in March and just returned as it's all fallen apart and taken X months for the information to work it's way up.

Is there a lot of that going on at the moment or is it always a constant risk of house selling?

I guess as a buyer if I made an offer and agreement on a house and a better one came up I would feel bad but it's a business decision at the end of the day.
I wouldn't be gutless and not return calls and letters for 2 months as seems to be what vendors are telling me happened to them.

Back
Top Bottom